The Student Room Group

Student Loans: Am I entitled to more money?

I applied for my loans last summer however I didn't complete the household income assessment section because I knew (or thought) I wouldn't be entitled to any more extra money because the household income was well above the threshold and my brother didn't receive any extra money

However my flatmate told me though parents who have more then 1 children in Higher Education may gain extra funding. Is this true and if so how can I change my status or application?

Many Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by YB101
I applied for my loans last summer however I didn't complete the household income assessment section because I knew (or thought) I wouldn't be entitled to any more extra money because the household income was well above the threshold and my brother didn't receive any extra money

However my flatmate told me though parents who have more then 1 children in Higher Education may gain extra funding. Is this true and if so how can I change my status or application?

Yes, that's true. You need to fill in a change of circumstances form.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
Yes, that's true. You need to fill in a change of circumstances form.

Ah thank you! Where can I find this ?
Reply 3
Original post by YB101

they reduce the household income they look at by a small ammount if your parents have other children in higher education but its not by very much.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
they reduce the household income they look at by a small ammount if your parents have other children in higher education but its not by very much.

hmm, in that case I don't think it would make much of a difference.
Either way i'm seriously struggling financially!
Reply 5

I thought only 75% of the student loan (for living and accomodation) was available without means testing the parents.

But if there is more than one child at uni, and the parents complete the means testing form, then if Student Finance decide the parents should provide support (which they will - the 25%), then the parents only pay one amount and that is split between the two students?

So effectively, that saves the parents 25% of one student Maintenance loan. I think the loan is £5.5k (http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/full-time-study/new-students/what's-available-in-201314/living-costs.aspx)? So 25% of that is £1,375?

This would increase your student loan by half that. But you pay a fixed amount back and nobody will ever pay it all back - so it is not a loan but a graduate tax - so you might as well borrow as much as you can.

Of course, the next challenge is to ask your parents to split the £1,375 saved between the two children, to help them live. If you succeed with that, it could mean another £687.50 per child per year? Sounds worth a go to me.

Of course, I could have got that all wrong and there might be nothing (I never expect any help, and I am rarely disappointed). But it seems to me as though it is worth asking the question. Better than letting the government off the hook for your education entirely.
Reply 6
Original post by bb193
I thought only 75% of the student loan (for living and accomodation) was available without means testing the parents.

But if there is more than one child at uni, and the parents complete the means testing form, then if Student Finance decide the parents should provide support (which they will - the 25%), then the parents only pay one amount and that is split between the two students?

So effectively, that saves the parents 25% of one student Maintenance loan. I think the loan is £5.5k (http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/full-time-study/new-students/what's-available-in-201314/living-costs.aspx)? So 25% of that is £1,375?

This would increase your student loan by half that. But you pay a fixed amount back and nobody will ever pay it all back - so it is not a loan but a graduate tax - so you might as well borrow as much as you can.

Of course, the next challenge is to ask your parents to split the £1,375 saved between the two children, to help them live. If you succeed with that, it could mean another £687.50 per child per year? Sounds worth a go to me.

Of course, I could have got that all wrong and there might be nothing (I never expect any help, and I am rarely disappointed). But it seems to me as though it is worth asking the question. Better than letting the government off the hook for your education entirely.

i must admit i cant follow what your saying but im guessing you probally know more than me. as far as i was aware they simply knocked a couple of grand off the income they looked at- so if a family earned £60,000 but would have 2 kids at uni then SF would consider the income to be £56,000 or whatever. I could be wrong though and you seem to know more than me.
Reply 7
i must admit i cant follow what your saying but im guessing you probally know more than me. as far as i was aware they simply knocked a couple of grand off the income they looked at- so if a family earned £60,000 but would have 2 kids at uni then SF would consider the income to be £56,000 or whatever. I could be wrong though and you seem to know more than me.

Kind of you to say, but no I don't. My second daughter is going to uni next year, and the third two years after that, so I've just started researching this.

I was hoping someone might step in and tell us how it all worked for them.....
Reply 8
I wondered - does anyone have any experience of the Student loan arrangements when two or more siblings are going to University at the same time?
Yes
About £1000 is knocked off your gross income for calculating subsequent children's entitlement.
Original post by bb193

This is a very garbled misunderstanding of how it all works!
There is no entitlement to 75% of anything.
Students are guaranteed Allan if 100% of the tuition fee regardless of income.
As for maintenance loan it is based on income of parents. It has nothing to do with percentage of living costs required. The student may get a half or even less of the amount needed depending on parental income.
Old thread

Latest

Trending

Trending