UCL 5%
Bristol 11%
Leeds 3%
Birmingham 5%
Sheffield 3%
Barts and the London 5%
Newcastle3%
Total votes: 37
I thought it would be a good idea to discuss the most overrated medical schools in the UK.

So what is the most overrated university for medicine in the UK?

Stop negging unnecessarily Kids! If you disagree then comment!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How can a medschool be overrated?
Reply 2
The most oversubscribed, do you mean?

Edit: I've been negged because I just wanted to clarify what OP was asking about?
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd go to any university in the U.K to study medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by TheStudent.
I'd go to any university in the U.K to study medicine.

ikr, even if it was london met.
Reply 5
There are many things that needs to be considered before calling a university overrated, including the quality of education, Job prospects, student satisfaction, funding etc..
Reply 6
bristol
Reply 7
Original post by tania<3
How can a medschool be overrated?

Overrated in a sense that the university may have a very good reputation overall but the quality of education of their medical school is not good enough. Thus, students from these medical schools are more likely to struggle to cope with the challenges they face in the foundation year programme and beyond as a doctor.
Reply 8
it might be an unpopular view with many, but PERSONALLY id say oxbridge. obviously they are extremely good unis, but after looking at their courses i found them to not be at all to my liking. the main reason is that they only start clinical experience in the third year. thats 2 whole years of theory without anything exciting to keep you motivated! they are extraordinarily academic, and again, personally thats not my sort of thing. im much more of a hands on person and i love the clinical side of medicine, even just going into gps or hospitals and shadowing for a day gets me super enthusiastic and motivated. research isnt an area that im looking into atm, and i know that oxbridge do look for people who like that.

BASICALLY depending on what sort of a person you are and what sort of a doctor you want to be does affect your perception, HOWEVER i do think that most people go into medicine to treat people rather than research so basically thats the reasoning behing my choice. i feel oxbridge are overrated (based on their course structure), although at the same time i do acknowledge that they are 2 of the top med schools in the country (so im not saying they are bad lol) :smile:
Reply 9
Lolwut

How would anyone know, anyway? Without having been a student at every medical school in the country, there's no way to objectively judge which one is most "overrated" based on the factors you've stated. Anyway, everyone's opinions about the quality of their education would differ... One person's dream course could be another's idea of hell.
Well seeing as there is no such thing as a "better" medical school, then any medical school which has some sort of underlying priestiege or is seen as "above average" is over-rated because such things don't exist or at least don't matter.
Reply 11
Original post by POWCATTY
it might be an unpopular view with many, but PERSONALLY id say oxbridge. obviously they are extremely good unis, but after looking at their courses i found them to not be at all to my liking. the main reason is that they only start clinical experience in the third year. thats 2 whole years of theory without anything exciting to keep you motivated! they are extraordinarily academic, and again, personally thats not my sort of thing. im much more of a hands on person and i love the clinical side of medicine, even just going into gps or hospitals and shadowing for a day gets me super enthusiastic and motivated. research isnt an area that im looking into atm, and i know that oxbridge do look for people who like that.

BASICALLY depending on what sort of a person you are and what sort of a doctor you want to be does affect your perception, HOWEVER i do think that most people go into medicine to treat people rather than research so basically thats the reasoning behing my choice. i feel oxbridge are overrated (based on their course structure), although at the same time i do acknowledge that they are 2 of the top med schools in the country (so im not saying they are bad lol) :smile:

I agree with your reasoning as there are universities that put too much emphasis on the academics these days. This includes, Oxford, Imperial, Bristol and King's. On the other hand you will find other universities having a well integrated curse structure as well as huge emphasis on extracurricular activities, which helps one becoming a successful doctor.
Reply 12
Original post by AspiringGenius
Well seeing as there is no such thing as a "better" medical school, then any medical school which has some sort of underlying priestiege or is seen as "above average" is over-rated because such things don't exist or at least don't matter.

I may have agreed with you if you had told me this 10 years ago but the situation now is different. Would you consider medical schools such as Cambridge and UCL of a same standard as St Andrews and Keele (no disrespect).
Original post by singh12
Would you consider medical schools such as Cambridge and UCL of a same standard as St Andrews and Keele (no disrespect).

Why wouldn't you?
Original post by singh12
I may have agreed with you if you had told me this 10 years ago but the situation now is different. Would you consider medical schools such as Cambridge and UCL of a same standard as St Andrews and Keele (no disrespect).

Yes I would. Obviously if this is a consensus opinion, then cambridge and uCL are over-rated. (<-- opinion)
Reply 15
Original post by singh12
Overrated in a sense that the university may have a very good reputation overall but the quality of education of their medical school is not good enough. Thus, students from these medical schools are more likely to struggle to cope with the challenges they face in the foundation year programme and beyond as a doctor.

If there were such inadequacies, they would be spotted and rectified.
Reply 16
Original post by AspiringGenius
Yes I would. Obviously if this is a consensus opinion, then cambridge and uCL are over-rated. (<-- opinion)

I'm not against any university. However, I've noticed that there are few medical schools getting over 4000 applications every year for almost 300 or so places, not because of their course structure or social life, as these medical schools are attached to well recognised universities.

Original post by gozatron
If there were such inadequacies, they would be spotted and rectified.

I guess, this cannot be done instantly and may take years in some cases.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by singh12

I guess, this cannot be done instantly and may take years in some cases.

The courses at medical schools have indeed been running for years.
Original post by singh12
I'm not against any university. However, I've noticed that there are few medical schools getting over 4000 applications every year for almost 300 or so places, not because of their course structure or social life, as these medical schools are attached to well recognised universities.

Medical applicants don't care about that sort of thing. I go to a med school whose parent university is frequently ranked amongst the top 5 unis in the country. I'd have been just as happy to go to a much lower ranked uni if I liked it more. It just doesn't matter.

As medics we're not trying to break into the Magic Circle or go into investment banking; the NHS doesn't care whether you went to Oxbridge or to a med school which is affiliated to what was once a polytechnic. The university's reputation is plain irrelevant.
Original post by singh12

I see what you're getting at, but I would respond to that by saying just because somewhere has more applicants, doesn't make it better. For example, Keele at one point had a ridiculous number of applicants to places (I remember the figure 23:1 for some reason) but that could be because ti has quite liberal requirements for things like GCSEs etc) but you implied earlier it didn't have the same reputation that somewhere like UCL or Cambridge has, when it has far more applicants to a place (in fact by this method, Cambridge is something like 6 applicants to a place so is this a lower medical school?). Having more applicants can imply many things, apart from how good a med school is- like the area/city, "priestiege" of the university, where somebody lives, the universities requirements (places with more liberal requirements tend to attract many applicants who aren't able to apply elsewhere) etc etc etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending