The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
If RVP went missing Rooney would step up. He has proven time and time again that he's capable of being the exact player we need at whatever time. Whether as a support act for Ronaldo, the 09/10 season leading the line or last season as a goalscoring attacking midfielder, his ability to play various roles at the highest level is remarkable.

Sure he has struggled with fitness and to an extent form this season, but if for arguments sake RVP broke his leg against Liverpool i'd back Rooney to step up and lead our attack again. But hopefully he'll get fit and he'll get back to his best in the deeper role, supporting RVP. Sacrificing himself for the good of the team I suppose, but that pretty much defines his career. Some will call it a waste but when he looks at his medals at the end of his career I think he'll be happy enough.

Original post by Aky786UK
God forbid any injuries to RVP but even if they did, we'll need to hope it isn't anything serious and he's not carrying the team on his back like he was last season (so his back is healthy :biggrin:) and SAF is resting him as much as possible, like today and other games he's been on the bench. But hopefully Rooney will return and realise he needs to up his game a tad. Strikers in the same team always have a competitive edge between them, and I'm sure he wants to be THE man again in light of RVP's arrival.

I'm not. I don't think he really likes the attention, on the pitch perhaps but off it he doesn't really want the spotlight that comes with being the very best. It's a mental issue and it has probably held him back from being up there with the very best in the world, along with fitness issues that crop up now and again. My impression is that he wants to be in a successful team and that's the absolute priority for him, and to discard his individual needs to the extent he does is rare in a player as good as him.
Reply 381
I hate it when people say that we're to reliant on Van Persie, the guy is absolutely class, if Van Persie is in a good position/making a good run why would our players not pass to him, they know he has the ability to score, its like calling Madrid or Barca to reliant on Messi or Ronaldo, thing is they're a class above everyone therefore obviously your whole game plan will involve them the most same with us and RVP, the lucky thing we have at United is the luxury of having another stand by talisman in Rooney to help out when needed (this is the guy who tore apart City).
Reply 382
What do you people think will happen to United when Scholes and Giggs finish after this season?

I don't mean about the effect it will have on results, I mean about the character of United.

All my life United have been a special team, with special players and had a special character, with the exception of Barcelona, that no other team in the world can rival.
But the departure of Giggs and Scholes is the end to a beautiful period of united history, and the end of my childhood reminiscence.

Those two were there in the Andy cole and Yorke days, the Beckham days, the Nistleroy days and the recent Ronaldo days. When they've gone I can't imagine the future of United.

For me personally, the return of CR7 would be very special
(edited 11 years ago)
The smug face is back hahaha

Original post by IanDangerously
Brilliant day today!

Went to London with no ticket, just for the day out with the lads and figured I'd see what was around and maybe pick up a spare last minute. 45 minutes before kick-off we set off to the ground on a tube train full of reds that was rocking the whole way with everyone singing loudly, bit of fun. Never got a ticket but figured I'd follow everyone anyway. Ended up outside the away end after the kickoff and the security was a shambles, hundreds of fans were stuck outside and late getting in. In the end I managed to get in and was about three of us standing in every seat where I was! Top away atmosphere as usual, singing for 90 minutes. A couple of times our end wouldn't give the ball back too and it stopped the game. Crowd went absolutely ballistic for the equaliser ... hugging strangers, people climbing on seats, folks falling down several rows. Looked like a mosh pit with a load of seats in the way! Someone tried to climb on me! Loads of seats got broken in the carnage, proper mental end to a fairly boring game.

This season is feeling like something special. Robin appearing to be the Cantona of this generation, strong rumours inside the club that it's Ferguson's last year, entertaining football, late comebacks, and we're still in the three major tournaments. Dare I say it's feeling a little 98/99 all over again?

Lucky SOB. It is feeling like 98/99, especially if Giggs keeps putting in cameos like he did yesterday.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Lucky SOB. It is feeling like 98/99, especially if Giggs keeps putting in cameos like he did yesterday.

I really would like Giggs to score in the league this season so he maintains that record of scoring in every premier league season.

I reckon he was thinking this but less aggressively:

Original post by SirMasterKey
I really would like Giggs to score in the league this season so he maintains that record of scoring in every premier league season.

It'll have to end some day, I'm sure he'll get it though. Twenty seasons in a row is still incredible.

Original post by SillyRodent
I reckon he was thinking this but less aggressively:

Hahaha it'd be hilarious if he was saying this in his head while he was celebrating.
Lettuce be cereal, £24 million is a bargain in this day and age. Even he agrees.

Spoiler

It'll have to end some day, I'm sure he'll get it though. Twenty seasons in a row is still incredible.

Oh yes of course. But it would be nicer if it ended due to his retirement than not scoring in his last season.
Reply 390
Oh yes of course. But it would be nicer if it ended due to his retirement than not scoring in his last season.

It would leave a rather heavy feeling at the bottom of the stomach if he failed to score this season. It certainly did when Henry failed to score against Swansea last season (erasing his record of having scored against every single Premier League side he had ever faced). :sad:

same, be a real shame if he doesn't, amazing record.

Van Persie really got us out of jail yesterday, we were pretty poor second half, hopefully replay at Old Trafford we do much better.
What is this news about CR7? Please explain. He's coming back?
Reply 393
Original post by UnknownGuy
What is this news about CR7? Please explain. He's coming back?

nobody knows for sure, its only a rumour at present, some think he may leave Real Madrid to join PSG due to the huge wages they can offer him, but does cr7
really want to play in the French league which is generally poor class compared to the BPL and La Liga? Others feel there is a chance he could rejoin the Reds, its a team he loves and is close to his heart, also reds fans would rejoice at his return, and deep down so would many others. I think CR7 will probably stay at Real, at least until his contract runs out.
Reply 394
Wonder what the odds are on our FA cup draw being another PL team and Chelseas being another lower league team? :beard:
Original post by Tommyjw
Wonder what the odds are on our FA cup draw being another PL team and Chelseas being another lower league team? :beard:

Knowing our recent record, we will get city/ Liverpool and Chelsea will get Macclesfield.
Reply 396
Fulham or Blackpool. We never get decent draw's...
Reply 397
Original post by samiz20891
Knowing our recent record, we will get city/ Liverpool and Chelsea will get Macclesfield.

Pretty much called it.

Home game should be even more incentive to be West Ham next week (also at home)
Not the easiest but could have been worse.
Reply 399
I wish our game against RM was sooner

Latest