The Student Room Group

have you ever used Nightline?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh ok. Do volunteers get frustrated with hour long calls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trottoir
Oh ok. Do volunteers get frustrated with hour long calls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm a volunteer, and I find the longer the call, the more rewarding it is.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
No, I'm a volunteer, and I find the longer the call, the more rewarding it is.

thats good to know :smile:
They told me how to get an appointment with one of the doctors at uni. The guy sounded quite awkward and about the same age as me.
Original post by mathperson
Never used it, but if its anything like Samaritans, frankly don't bother. Give it a try.

I don't know why you've been negged because it's true that the Samaritans are useless. All they do is go "mmm" after everything you say. I think they're only supposed to discourage people who are about to do away with themselves, so I suppose they serve some purpose in that respect. :rolleyes:
Reply 25
I didn't even know about nightline. Sometimes I'd want someone to talk or vent to and often there just isn't anyone or the people I talk to get bored and aren't interested so I blog. Sometimes I don't want advice but just to get it all out of my system. I would definitely like to be there for someone else and I think it'd really help me develop my communication skills and to be a better listener cos I'm quite chatty and tend to talk lots and not listen much. I'd like to develop my listening skills and learn more about how young people think and what sort of worries and troubles they have. I think that'd come in use as a doctor cos I tend to struggle talking to people my age so this would help. I filled out a form for more details about being a volunteer :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by hali0112
I didn't even know about nightline. Sometimes I'd want someone to talk or vent to and often there just isn't anyone or the people I talk to get bored and aren't interested so I blog. Sometimes I don't want advice but just to get it all out of my system. I would definitely like to be there for someone else and I think it'd really help me develop my communication skills and to be a better listener cos I'm quite chatty and tend to talk lots and not listen much. I'd like to develop my listening skills and learn more about how young people think and what sort of worries and troubles they have. I think that'd come in use as a doctor cos I tend to struggle talking to people my age so this would help. I filled out a form for more details about being a volunteer :smile:

yeah there seems to be a lot of medics that do it xxx
Reply 27
yeah there seems to be a lot of medics that do it xxx

Really! ... I'd find it hard not to give advice though. It'd be a challenge cos I'm usually one to give advice when my friends come to me with their problems. But as a medical student when people ask me what I think, I don't give my personal opinion at all cos that's not professional so this would be a real challenge in a good way :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by jelly1000
They weren't very helpful when I called, but then I wasn't making a typical call. I cut my leg really badly at about midnight trying to shave, had no plasters e.c.t and nothing would stop the bleeding so phoned in the hope someone might be able to go and bring me one (or a bandage really given the size of the cut) so I could go to sleep without soaking my bedsheet through as they were the only people whose numbers I had who were open at that time and my flatmates were asleep. Needless to say though the girl on the other end of the phone didn't seem too bright - eventually she gave me the number of the campus security team but that wasn't what I wanted really as I couldn't really go anywhere. In the end just had to sit for an hour to wait for the bleeding to stop.

I've never used nightline myself but I'm assuming that what is not for. The girl online probably didn't seem "too bright" as you say in your own words as she was probably taken a back as she's not trained in such matters. It doesn't sound like you where going to be in much danger anyway, unless you had sort of disorder were your blood doesn't clot, even then I'd imagine most people would suggest A+E rather than a service run by volunteers that is primary for those in emotional distress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
^ This, really. A good Nightline will offer a consistent, high quality service. A poor Nightline will be a bit rubbish at what they do and probably be a bit useless. (I can think of a couple of **** ones right away, haha.) HOWEVER, it is also fair to say that sometimes Nightline is just not the right service for an individual caller (eg. if they only want advice).

I'm a current Nightline volunteer, and I love it. It's the sort of thing where you get out what you put in, and more. If you are empathic and want to be there to provide emotional support to someone who may be in a bit of a **** situation then go for it! There is no true typical call and so you have to be prepared to listen to anything someone might want to discuss with you. Of course, the service is aimed at students and so usually calls are related to some aspect of student life. Can't really tell you about the weirdest ones without breaking confidentiality, sorry! :p:

Sorry for my ignorance, but if nightline really is just a listening service then what makes a particular nightline good or bad?

And tbh, I'm not entirely convinced of the value of these listening services, of course I respect the samaritans for their function of emotional support and helping people who are suicidal and reading some of the stories on their website I see it can be helpful to get your thoughts together and talk through your problems to someone, but if they don't say anything more than 'mmm', then they surely can't be that much of a help for someone who is suicidal?
Reply 30
Original post by Olie
Sorry for my ignorance, but if nightline really is just a listening service then what makes a particular nightline good or bad?

And tbh, I'm not entirely convinced of the value of these listening services, of course I respect the samaritans for their function of emotional support and helping people who are suicidal and reading some of the stories on their website I see it can be helpful to get your thoughts together and talk through your problems to someone, but if they don't say anything more than 'mmm', then they surely can't be that much of a help for someone who is suicidal?

It's nice for someone to clarify your thoughts..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olie

People like to hear their own thoughts back in different words. If someone can listen and understand, they know that they're making sense. And sometimes if you put it back to them in a different order or ask a certain question about one aspect they maybe didn't put much emphasis on, they understand themselves better.
Original post by gemmam
I've never used nightline myself but I'm assuming that what is not for. The girl online probably didn't seem "too bright" as you say in your own words as she was probably taken a back as she's not trained in such matters. It doesn't sound like you where going to be in much danger anyway, unless you had sort of disorder were your blood doesn't clot, even then I'd imagine most people would suggest A+E rather than a service run by volunteers that is primary for those in emotional distress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i wasnt aware of that - they said you could call about anything which is why i did. i wasn't no, i just wanted to be able to sleep without soaking my bed sheets but i didnt have any other 24 hour numbers
I would just like to add to my point that I originally made (3rd post down), that it is all well and good saying that these services are 'useless' when you are thinking rationally, when you are not in an emotional state. However, if you are not thinking rationally, if you are extremely stressed, verging on tears, can't think clearly, then try to imagine the impact it can have to have a calming, reassuring voice empathising with your situation - in effect, for the duration of that call, you are not 'alone' with your problems. Like someone else pointed out, some people benefit from the understanding that is given. People are different, and there is not a one-size-fits-all solution to every problem that a person may suffer. There are indeed many people who will not benefit in any way from a Nightline call, and that might be you, but there are many who will, particularly people feeling vulnerable.
I would never use anything like this.

Firstly it would just seem ridiculous, as I have friends anyway, and secondly it'd just make me feel worse. For some people dealing with your **** by yourself is better. I'm all for getting rid of the stigma attached with seeking help but sometimes it feels like people are trying to push things too far in this direction.
Original post by concubine
I would never use anything like this.

Firstly it would just seem ridiculous, as I have friends anyway, and secondly it'd just make me feel worse. For some people dealing with your **** by yourself is better. I'm all for getting rid of the stigma attached with seeking help but sometimes it feels to you like people are trying to push things too far in this direction.

I'd just like to point out that you (and incidentally, me too) are male. I'd say about 70% of contacts at the Nightline where I volunteer are female.
Reply 36
When you say contacts, do you mean callers or volunteers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trottoir
When you say contacts, do you mean callers or volunteers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Callers. I'd say 95% of the volunteers are female :biggrin:
^ Bear in mind these statistics vary between Nightlines. There are a lot more guys than that at mine.
Reply 39
Good to know. It's a good.service.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending