The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Occupational Therapy 2013 - Oxford Brookes

I've accepted an offer for Oxford Brookes for occupational therapy 2013. It's my first choice so I'm really hoping that I make the grades. Is any one else applying here or has accepted an offer? It would be nice to find out who else will be going. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi!...thats a great news that youve got a place in oxford brookes.

Im waiting for them to get back to me, Im just wondering how long did it take for you, to get a reply from them because I have been waiting for about 1 and half months and all Ive got from them is an acknowledgement email.

Do you reckon I should phone them up?

and also what questions did they ask you? because Ive got an interview next week for east anglia university. If you can help I would appreciate it. Thanks!!
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
It was just under two months when I got an offer for an interview, before then I hadn't even had an email acknowledging my application. Hopefully you'll hear from them soon but it might be worth giving them a ring I know some people did, it shows your keen. :smile:

Good luck with your interview at East Anglia, I'm sure you'll be fine. The one I had an Oxford Brookes went quite well I thought, it was a group interview. We all sat in a circle; including one lecturer and one occupational therapist and started by introducing ourselves and explaining where our names come from. Them we were given a list of things such as free healthcare and provision of social activities and had to choose the five that we would feel would be most important to us as we aged. The lecturer and the occupational therapist watched whilst we discussed this and then when we had agreed on a top five we fed back to them and explained why we had chosen them. After that the lecturer just asked what experience we had, how we defined occupational therapy to other people and also what skills we felt you had to have as an occupational therapist and why. Although it was a group interview it was quite relaxed and the lecturer made sure that everyone had the chance to talk. I'd been so nervous about going yet when I was in the interview I wasn't nervous at all.

After the group interview we had a written task. In this task we had to watch a video about a girl with epilepsy that was roughly ten minutes long. Then we had to answer two questions about the video which I think were something like; how do you think she is feeling and what makes you think she is feeling this way? It wasn't too bad, most people wrote about two sides of a4 and we all talked about things such as body language and tone of voice as well as what the girl was actually saying.

Sorry, I didn't realise quite how much I was writing here, it's getting a bit like an essay! Overall I found the interview OK and I went home feeling quite confident about it; the worries kick in when it gets to a few weeks after and you haven't heard anything back. That's when you start to analyse every little thing you said and make yourself nervous.

Anyway good luck with the interview and I hope you hear from Brookes soon. Is East Anglia your first interview? Also do you have a uni which would be your first choice?

Good luck with all your unis! Let me know how you get on :biggrin:
Original post by unwiseowl
It was just under two months when I got an offer for an interview, before then I hadn't even had an email acknowledging my application. Hopefully you'll hear from them soon but it might be worth giving them a ring I know some people did, it shows your keen. :smile:

Good luck with your interview at East Anglia, I'm sure you'll be fine. The one I had an Oxford Brookes went quite well I thought, it was a group interview. We all sat in a circle; including one lecturer and one occupational therapist and started by introducing ourselves and explaining where our names come from. Them we were given a list of things such as free healthcare and provision of social activities and had to choose the five that we would feel would be most important to us as we aged. The lecturer and the occupational therapist watched whilst we discussed this and then when we had agreed on a top five we fed back to them and explained why we had chosen them. After that the lecturer just asked what experience we had, how we defined occupational therapy to other people and also what skills we felt you had to have as an occupational therapist and why. Although it was a group interview it was quite relaxed and the lecturer made sure that everyone had the chance to talk. I'd been so nervous about going yet when I was in the interview I wasn't nervous at all.

After the group interview we had a written task. In this task we had to watch a video about a girl with epilepsy that was roughly ten minutes long. Then we had to answer two questions about the video which I think were something like; how do you think she is feeling and what makes you think she is feeling this way? It wasn't too bad, most people wrote about two sides of a4 and we all talked about things such as body language and tone of voice as well as what the girl was actually saying.

Sorry, I didn't realise quite how much I was writing here, it's getting a bit like an essay! Overall I found the interview OK and I went home feeling quite confident about it; the worries kick in when it gets to a few weeks after and you haven't heard anything back. That's when you start to analyse every little thing you said and make yourself nervous.

Anyway good luck with the interview and I hope you hear from Brookes soon. Is East Anglia your first interview? Also do you have a uni which would be your first choice?

wow thanks for replying and yeah it's like an essay haha!!,it sounds like it was pretty a intense interview, I'll try and call them today and see what they say.
Anglia is my first interview but my first choice is brookes. Which unis did you applly?
Reply 4
I applied to Northampton, Liverpool, Derby and Canterbury Christ Church for my other choices.
Reply 5

Hello hello, congrats,!! The interview sounds brill, I have one 27th. Hope you don't mind me asking but what were the conditions of your offer? Thanks, jess
Reply 6
I've accepted an offer for Oxford Brookes for occupational therapy 2013. It's my first choice so I'm really hoping that I make the grades. Is any one else applying here or has accepted an offer? It would be nice to find out who else will be going. :smile:

Also sorry for being a pest but why did you choose Brooke's over the others? Where else did you get in to? The course at Brooke's looks so lovely, I think I'd put it near the top for me too!!
Reply 7
Original post by Harrison_
Hello hello, congrats,!! The interview sounds brill, I have one 27th. Hope you don't mind me asking but what were the conditions of your offer? Thanks, jess

I've already got one A level at grade B, so my offer from Brookes is for a B in the other A level I am studying and a Distinction in my Btec Subsidiary Diploma.
I think what made me accept the offer at Brookes was the lecturers; they just seemed so friendly and so welcoming and just had more enthusiasm than I saw when I visited other universities It seemed like such a friendly environment at my other interviews I was acknowledged by the staff but at Brookes by the time they knew my name and I'd had a conversation with them.
I also love how there is a campus just for the health and social care where you get to learn with people who are studying nursing and physiotherapy etc as well. Also I just love Oxford as a city and Oxford Brookes just seems to have a good reputation. When I told people where I had applied to they usually said to me, go to Oxford Brookes I've heard it's really good.
Good luck with your interview! I hope you like Brookes as much as I did.
The other offer I got was from Northampton, Liverpool rejected me and I withdrew my application from the others after I had my two offers because I couldn't really afford to travel to get to the interviews and I didn't really want to go to them anyway. Northampton and Oxford Brookes were always my top choice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey unwiseowl
Just wondering when you applied to ucas and heard back from Liverpool?
I applied on the 15th Jan. I have only received an acknowledgement email. Liverpool are not interviewing this year, is this correct?

I have applied to UWE (filled out a questionnaire and waiting to hear back from then) Brunel (had to send on copy of exam results) and have not heard anything from Plymouth and London South Bank and Liverpool only acknowledgemet e mails. Is no news good or bad?
Reply 9
Original post by beirne83
Hey unwiseowl
Just wondering when you applied to ucas and heard back from Liverpool?
I applied on the 15th Jan. I have only received an acknowledgement email. Liverpool are not interviewing this year, is this correct?

I have applied to UWE (filled out a questionnaire and waiting to hear back from then) Brunel (had to send on copy of exam results) and have not heard anything from Plymouth and London South Bank and Liverpool only acknowledgemet e mails. Is no news good or bad?

You are right that Liverpool do not do interviews. I would say that no news was good news. I applied in October and was rejected about two weeks later because I wasn't presenting their ideal qualifications. I would say that the fact that you haven't heard anything and it's been nearly month was OK. If they really didn't like your application unis usually seem pretty quick to let you know. It took about a month for me to get interviews so you should get some soon.
Good luck! I hope you hear soon.
Hi everyone! I'm a 2nd year OT student at Brookes so if anyone wants to ask me anything then feel free too :smile: x
Reply 11
Original post by Katrina-Jane
Hi everyone! I'm a 2nd year OT student at Brookes so if anyone wants to ask me anything then feel free too :smile: x

Thanks! How many weeks in attendance is the course? Also did you stay in halls for your first year, if so which one did you choose?
Thanks. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
You are right that Liverpool do not do interviews. I would say that no news was good news. I applied in October and was rejected about two weeks later because I wasn't presenting their ideal qualifications. I would say that the fact that you haven't heard anything and it's been nearly month was OK. If they really didn't like your application unis usually seem pretty quick to let you know. It took about a month for me to get interviews so you should get some soon.
Good luck! I hope you hear soon.

Hi unwiseowl thank you so much for your reply.
Thanks! How many weeks in attendance is the course? Also did you stay in halls for your first year, if so which one did you choose?
Thanks. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm...the first semester you're in for 12 weeks (September to December) and then you go on placement for 6 weeks in the January, and then you have about 8 weeks in Uni after that until you finish in May. So its not too long!

I stayed in Clive Booth Post-Grad halls for the first semester and then after that I moved in with my boyfriend, who lives in Banbury, and now I commute in everyday. Lots of people on my course lived in halls and they all seemed to love it! A great way to make new friends!
Reply 14
Umm...the first semester you're in for 12 weeks (September to December) and then you go on placement for 6 weeks in the January, and then you have about 8 weeks in Uni after that until you finish in May. So its not too long!

I stayed in Clive Booth Post-Grad halls for the first semester and then after that I moved in with my boyfriend, who lives in Banbury, and now I commute in everyday. Lots of people on my course lived in halls and they all seemed to love it! A great way to make new friends!

Thanks! Really looking forward to hopefully starting in September.
Reply 15

Hi,
I have applied to Oxford Brookes and I was invited for interview. I was just wondering if you can help me out. I just want to know more about the Uni, and it has been for you since you start studying there, and how you feel about the coursework. Is it hard than you thought or much easy. Thank you
Original post by felistas
Hi,
I have applied to Oxford Brookes and I was invited for interview. I was just wondering if you can help me out. I just want to know more about the Uni, and it has been for you since you start studying there, and how you feel about the coursework. Is it hard than you thought or much easy. Thank you

I personally think the Uni is brilliant. The course is based on Marston Road Campus with ONLY health and social care students. Everyone is really friendly!

The course for me has been challenging in some ways and easy in others. The hardest bit is balancing the work, on top of lectures, working and being sociable at the same time (!) but as long as you keep on top of it all then you should be fine.

The work is a mixture of assignments, presentations and practicials so don't worry if you're rubbish at writing essays because they assess you in different ways :smile:

Hope this helps! x
Reply 17
Thank you so so much Katrina. the information its really helpful thanx
I highly recommend this course :wink:

Hi Katrina-Jane!
I'd love some advice/info, thank you!
Im 22 and live in London, I'd love to study at Brookes but am just thinking of how my living situation would work. Are there a mixture of people who live on campus and people who live elsewhere? Are there many mature students? In terms of the work placement, i would obviously like to do a work placement in London so that I dont have to uproot my life too much. Ive read in a previous thread that you mention placements and where you get your funding from, could you please explain what funding you are referring to and how this might work?
Thank you so much for your time, any help would be gladly appreciated
:smile:Suzi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending