The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Heskey, no seriously I've never seen the guy lose a header when he's played, too bad he's **** at everything else.

But yeah ronaldo is ridiculous in the air.

Heskey is a good player, massively under-rated and a natural goal-scorer............

Hahahahaha.
Heskey gets way too much stick. For much of his career his goalscoring rate was perfectly acceptable. He's never been a Messi, but in his 20's his goalscoring was hardly embarrassing.
So..Madrid are looking pretty damn good.
Reply 1543
Barcelona are getting whooped in their own back yard. And worst of all Real Madrid have momentum. Momentum that we'd rather not want them to have at Old Trafford.
Yeah Real have momentum, but so do United. We haven't lost a match in a few months.
A fair point was raised that United and Barcelona play vastly different games at home, United don't play Barcelona's pressing style etc. However, if Real Madrid can successfully counter Barcelona's game (despite the home side not fielding their strongest squad), I think it could be interesting at OT.
Iain Dowie just said Bale is on par with Falcao as the third best in the world
Original post by doggyfizzel
Heskey gets way too much stick. For much of his career his goalscoring rate was perfectly acceptable. He's never been a Messi, but in his 20's his goalscoring was hardly embarrassing.

I wasn't taking the piss btw, he's very good in the air, he was an absolute boss for leicester and did well for liverpool under houllier with the heskey owen partnership. I like him.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Iain Dowie just said Bale is on par with Falcao as the third best in the world

Give it a season before saying that. Although I think bale would be if he keeps up this ronaldoesque form till the end of the season he's not at falcao's level since radamel's been doing it at this level for a good 3 years while bale has only come to consistent form this season, other seasons he puts in world class performances but not at a consistent rate(see 10-11). I'd put bale in top ten attacking players.

I think van persie is better than him though and bales the second best player in the league, van persie is such an effective player. He has a stinker yet still manages to affect the game it's ridiculous.
You also got to remember Madrid have Barcelona again this weekend, and Mourinho definitely won't field a weaker team for that considering his desire to beat Barcelona all the time, and United have Norwich at home, an ample opportunity for SAF to drop a few key players.
Original post by doggyfizzel

Ye i know lol. He did have great hold-up play and many assists. Poor guy gets ripped by the media, he's just one of those players you love to laugh at, haha.
Original post by Monster Mnch
You also got to remember Madrid have Barcelona again this weekend, and Mourinho definitely won't field a weaker team for that considering his desire to beat Barcelona all the time, and United have Norwich at home, an ample opportunity for SAF to drop a few key players.

He has no choice but to rest them. Di maria is banned for the next game anyway so won't play, I doubt the defenders really tired out as they didn't cover a great deal of ground compared to the barcelona defenders who were getting hit by counters upon counters. Really it's only the DM's alonso and khedira and ozil who are potentially tired out who will have to play vs barca.

I imagine essien/pepe will be playing in DM some point of the match and maybe modric could get a bit of game time.

Mourinho will probably use marcelo in place of coentrao and maybe essien/ramos on the right instead of arbeloa. Modric and kaka would probably play a part too.
Original post by Monster Mnch

SkySports commentator was saying that Mourinho's going to make six changes for the game on Saturday.
Fair enough, we will see. I think the difference between Barcelona and Norwich could be vital next Tuesday. Wouldn't expect Norwich to put up much of a fight therefore possibly giving United an easier game but I can't see Barcelona struggling like they did tonight.
Madrid are getting the confidence boosting results at the right time. Barcelona aren't pushing them - yet - and if Saturday's result goes to the Madridista's then we are going to have one heck of a game at OT.
Michael Keane looks to be really impressing for Leicester which is good
Original post by jam277
Ok, read my post carefully. I watch ronaldo almost every week. Tell me what side ronaldo has to his game that bale doesn't(besides consistent goalscoring and being both footed) and I will actually listen to you. Bale is a better free kick taker. They both rely on acceleration but ronaldo has more flair, but a lot of the time the stepovers don't work and he just gets the ball until it works. His conversion rate is poor, van persie's conversion rate is 3 times better e.g.

But hey, don't listen to me and just say ronaldo is the greatest ever. Look at their stats when they were the same age. Because you're comparing a 23 year old with a 28 year old who's played for better teams than the 23 year old and he's managing similar stats to the guy at the same age. But hey lets not listen and be defensive because I suggested he could be as good as ronaldo.

summary if you can't comprehend what i'm saying
1. Bale is 5 years younger and managing similar stats to ronaldo at the same age at a worse team.
2. Bale only lacks a right foot and flair and he'd have the same skill set as ronaldo. Same thing can be said for messi though.
3. Ronaldo has a terrible conversion rate but madrid just create chances for him and eventually he scores because he's such a good player, does bale have xabi alonso, ozil, kaka, di maria and modric to create chances no he has ****ing dembele, lennon, holtby and sigurdsson.
4. I also said that he needs more consistency to become as good as ronaldo but he's starting to show it.

But hey lets be defensive because you didn't understand what I'm saying though. Good on you.

you do realize Ronaldo's relatively low conversion rate is due to the amount of long range shots he takes... he rarely wastes a good oppurtunity.
Original post by justinawe
you do realize Ronaldo's relatively low conversion rate is due to the amount of long range shots he takes... he rarely wastes a good oppurtunity.

Yeah I know. Never said he wastes good oppurtunities. I said he's a frank lampard(5 years ago) where you see **** loads of row z's shots from 30 yards and does it till one goes in. Or how ronaldo's free kick conversion is woeful. But he keeps on doing it and law of averages means that you'll eventually see one fly in.

He gets loads of half chances created for him and gets a lot of possession in the match in order to do those shots which is what I'm saying and that's because of the team he's at. Bale obviously doesn't have that luxury.
So they are saying PSG may bid £40m to tempt SAF to sell Rooney in the summer. Can't see it being true and can't see us selling for that price.

However we haven't sold anyone for significant price since Ronaldo and hadn't before that for quite a few years til the Veron + Beckham year. Part of me thinks one year soon we are going to want to offload one or two players off for a significant amount and (currently) Rooney seems like the most likely option for such a sell. Wouldn't sell him for £40m though.
Reply 1558
Original post by Tommyjw
So they are saying PSG may bid £40m to tempt SAF to sell Rooney in the summer. Can't see it being true and can't see us selling for that price.

However we haven't sold anyone for significant price since Ronaldo and hadn't before that for quite a few years til the Veron + Beckham year. Part of me thinks one year soon we are going to want to offload one or two players off for a significant amount and (currently) Rooney seems like the most likely option for such a sell. Wouldn't sell him for £40m though.

I wouldn't sell him for anything less than £55 million, if Torres (in reasonable form) is £50mil and Carroll is £35mil then £40mil is laughable.
Original post by Tommyjw

Cannot see Rooney leaving, we're in good financial health, don't think we need to sell tbh.

Latest