The Student Room Group

Low English A Level Grades

In Eng Lit and Lang, only one person has got an A in their Jan exams so far, and usually at our school the percentage is much higher. Are any other schools experiancing oddly low gardes??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got a low C in English language when I normally get high Bs and As :frown:
For AQA English Lit, I got a D despite thinking it went well and I was predicted an A/A*
I got an E in LITB3. I was predicted an A, always getting A's and B's in mocks and essays. My E was RIGHT ON an E as well. So I only just passed my best subject which I'm wanting to do at Uni.
Reply 4
Seems low grades across the board in English then... comiserations to anyone who got a lower grade than expected. I got a C when was predicted a B :P
Reply 5
What exam boards did you do? I got a B in my AS resit but luckily my coursework pushed it up to an A overall.
I never seem to do as well as predicted in English.
Original post by JackS94
What exam boards did you do? I got a B in my AS resit but luckily my coursework pushed it up to an A overall.
I never seem to do as well as predicted in English.

I'm on AQA, which seems to be really messing people up with English these days. I got a B at AS.
Reply 7
Original post by magically.yours
I'm on AQA, which seems to be really messing people up with English these days. I got a B at AS.

Same. Apparently they shifted the A Level English grades around a lot last year, so quite a lot of pwople are in the same boat
Well I got a D for my AQA lit B Resit Unit 1, kinda happy...
still though I'd get a C
That's strange - I resat my English Lang/Lit a few weeks ago and ended up with an A today. Almost everyone in my class who resat it got an A!
Reply 10
Original post by Mochassassin
That's strange - I resat my English Lang/Lit a few weeks ago and ended up with an A today. Almost everyone in my class who resat it got an A!

In that case, very well done! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Yes, and oddly for us all the June 2012 results have practically mirrored January 2013 results. I got a C in June, and now I got a D (71/120), although it is 72/120 for a C so I'm gonna punt a remark regardless.

It seems very odd the marking though and very inconsistent.

I'm on AQA Eng Lit A
Reply 12
Our whole school was also caught off guard by LITB3. Even people who had 100% UMS in the AS exam were left with E's today. Luckily I was one of the few A grades but it doesn't seem right as everybody was achieving their targets in practice essays, mocks etc.
Original post by klokwork
In Eng Lit and Lang, only one person has got an A in their Jan exams so far, and usually at our school the percentage is much higher. Are any other schools experiancing oddly low gardes??

My school's also experiencing bad results. I've had A*s in every mock paper/essay and I got a C :/ and that was the best result of my class! Nobody in the year got an A and there were only a few who got a B of the other classes, awful result this year. My exam board was WJEC though, I really don't know what's going on with all these english results, such crap.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I've gone from a high-ish B last year to 2 marks off a D in the re-sit this year when I actually revised and put the effort in.

I'm not sure what the procedure is but I'm sure there will be some sort of investigation into this if all colleges are reporting low grades across the board, and under different exam boards too!

If not we riot? :mob:
Reply 15
Original post by Tweek
I've gone from a high-ish B last year to 2 marks off a D in the re-sit this year when I actually revised and put the effort in.

I'm not sure what the procedure is but I'm sure there will be some sort of investigation into this if all colleges are reporting low grades across the board, and under different exam boards too!

If not we riot? :mob:

If you are convinced try emailing you exam board as a group so they take notice. However be aware its unlikely they will do anything, last year OCR biology copied a question WORD FOR WORD the same as one from 2003.

This link was apparently discovered when some students were given the 2003 paper the day before the exam.
Reply 16
Original post by Tbx
If you are convinced try emailing you exam board as a group so they take notice. However be aware its unlikely they will do anything, last year OCR biology copied a question WORD FOR WORD the same as one from 2003.

This link was apparently discovered when some students were given the 2003 paper the day before the exam.

I doubt OCR would care TBH. They're hardly the most accommodating when it comes to these things. I really don't think they care at all about giving all these poor grades out as long as they milk all the money for the re-sits.

And yes I'd heard about the exam regarding Biology before.
LOOOL - OCR for GCSE science copied and pasted every question for every unit from past papers from 09-12 for the 13 exam.
We call this the British governing system.
Reply 18
Original post by Tweek
I doubt OCR would care TBH. They're hardly the most accommodating when it comes to these things. I really don't think they care at all about giving all these poor grades out as long as they milk all the money for the re-sits.

And yes I'd heard about the exam regarding Biology before.

Yeah but you never know :smile:, yes your correct its all about they money unfortunately :frown:.
Original post by klokwork
In that case, very well done! :biggrin:

Thank you! You know your English A-level will turn out well when you only need a C in the final exam to end up with an A overall. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest