The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommyjw
You seriously consider that save to be as good?
:laugh:

The shot from Matas was travelling much faster at a much harder to save angle. You see those kinds of saves all the time, you hardly ever see saves like De Gea made today.

He had a good 3 seconds waiting for the shot and then just stuck his left peg out. Props for keeping it out but what was so brilliant about it?
I'm not saying De Gea's was the save of the season, but that by Szcz certainly wasn't. A decent save but nothing special, just a standard top over the bar from a header. 3-4 of the same quality most weekends. Cech from Luiz today for example.
Original post by doggyfizzel
I'm not saying De Gea's was the save of the season, but that by Szcz certainly wasn't. A decent save but nothing special, just a standard top over the bar from a header. 3-4 of the same quality most weekends. Cech from Luiz today for example.

Not saying Szcz's was either just another save from recent memory that I would say is at least as good.

The strange thing about GK's saves is that when a keeper just barely gets a touch on the shot, its considered brilliant but had he done even better and just got a strong hand to it, people wouldnt even talk about it. Degea's save is similar. He knew a shot was coming from Mata and stuck his leg out.
Original post by Akkuz
SAF blamed it on fatigue. Absolute bull**** way to rationalise our poor performance.

The team had a full 4 day rest since Tuesdays Champions League match. If I remember correctly, Evans, Cleverley, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez didn't start against Real Madrid so they were fresh. Also Nani only played 55 mins against Real Madrid.

Furthermore Chelsea had 2 days less rest than us and seemed far more energetic. Fatigue is a bull**** excuse. Can't see us winning at Stamford Bridge if we perform like this again. SAF needs to teach the team not to sit back when we take a lead.

Mental fatigue you stupid ****.

I certainly felt it & if you can't maybe you should be supporting another team.
Original post by Zürich

The strange thing about GK's saves is that when a keeper just barely gets a touch on the shot, its considered brilliant but had he done even better and just got a strong hand to it, people wouldnt even talk about it. Degea's save is similar. He knew a shot was coming from Mata and stuck his leg out.
I guess its the association with being a full stretch, right at the limit of being able to make a save. I think people were saying De Gea was good as it was reactionary and instinctive, lots of keepers wouldn't not have been quick enough. It was coming but it could have gone a whole host of places from there.
Original post by Akkuz
SAF blamed it on fatigue. Absolute bull**** way to rationalise our poor performance.

The team had a full 4 day rest since Tuesdays Champions League match. If I remember correctly, Evans, Cleverley, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez didn't start against Real Madrid so they were fresh. Also Nani only played 55 mins against Real Madrid.

Furthermore Chelsea had 2 days less rest than us and seemed far more energetic. Fatigue is a bull**** excuse. Can't see us winning at Stamford Bridge if we perform like this again. SAF needs to teach the team not to sit back when we take a lead.

As Jam says, the circumstances between us and Chelsea are different. Even amidst our 2-0 start we still looked leg weary/incoherent. I think you could certainly see fatigue with the likes of Evra, Rafael and Cleverley (he wasn't fresh, he played most of the RM game). You can't really fault our team for the lack of effort, Evra and Rafael have both consistently turned up this season, especially for the big games. But you could see they weren't playing with the same gusto today. Given our attacking play places such an emphasis on wing-play, our full-backs not being at their best is sometimes enough to make us produce lacklustre performances like that. I mean the difference is apparent when Jones/Smalling start at RB instead Rafael. Of course a result like the one on Tuesday can suck some confidence out of the team as a whole, even in those who didn't play during the week.
Sky Sports
The Football Association is attempting to sort out the fixture mess that was caused by the FA Cup quarter-final draw between Manchester United and Chelsea.

Heh

Just reading it gives me a headache.
Original post by Mastermind`
Just reading it gives me a headache.

Just give us 2 midweek games ffs how hard can it be.
Or like what they do in spain actually help english teams progress in the europa/champions league by giving us time than giving us an FA cup semi final against tottenham and making us play barca 2 days later.
Original post by jam277
Just give us 2 midweek games ffs how hard can it be.
Or like what they do in spain actually help english teams progress in the europa/champions league by giving us time than giving us an FA cup semi final against tottenham and making us play barca 2 days later.

I think all countries should help their teams out tbh, both the Spanish and English FA's shot themselves in the foot last season (putting a title deciding Clasico inbetween the CL SF's, and you have 2 days between Spurs and Barca). They should do what Italy are doing this season (letting Milan play on Fridays before the CL).

It will be interesting to see what they do if you do progress past SB though, hopefully it makes you crumble in the league. :awesome:
Johan Cryuff:

"Just look at the decision to appoint this Turkish guy as the referee for the game between Manchester United & Real Madrid."

"That referee's mother is probably the only one who knows who he is."

:laugh: made me laugh
Original post by CB91
I think all countries should help their teams out tbh, both the Spanish and English FA's shot themselves in the foot last season (putting a title deciding Clasico inbetween the CL SF's, and you have 2 days between Spurs and Barca). They should do what Italy are doing this season (letting Milan play on Fridays before the CL).

It will be interesting to see what they do if you do progress past SB though, hopefully it makes you crumble in the league. :awesome:

Tbf the spanish FA messed up there but they do friday games to help their teams sometimes. Just think that we need to do that to help the english clubs more.

I'm kind of hoping we get knocked out in the europa league tbh. I think we're capable of winning both cups and getting 3rd but knowing us this season we'll manage to fuck up, come 5th and win the FA cup.
Original post by jam277
Tbf the spanish FA messed up there but they do friday games to help their teams sometimes. Just think that we need to do that to help the english clubs more.

I'm kind of hoping we get knocked out in the europa league tbh. I think we're capable of winning both cups and getting 3rd but knowing us this season we'll manage to fuck up, come 5th and win the FA cup.

Don't worry, the FA will sort out an agreement with UEFA to make sure you don't get pass Steaeu.

But in all seriousness, if they're going to fix something, at least fix the FA Cup Semi Final draw! I wanted City in the final.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Don't worry, the FA will sort out an agreement with UEFA to make sure you don't get pass Steaeu.

But in all seriousness, if they're going to fix something, at least fix the FA Cup Semi Final draw! I wanted City in the final.

Probably will, reckon they'll get a soft penalty and we'll draw 1-1 or something.

Exactly, a manchester derby or the el cashico would have been much more interesting than facing wigan in the Fa cup final.
Original post by jam277
Probably will, reckon they'll get a soft penalty and we'll draw 1-1 or something.

Exactly, a manchester derby or the el cashico would have been much more interesting than facing wigan in the Fa cup final.

You lot have to be favourites for our FA Cup tie now. Imo it's stupid that Europa League winner doesn't get CL football, should be a certainty. So when will the date of FA cup replay be if you lot (which I fully expect and hope you to) get through in Europa? Will you have to play 4 in a week?
Original post by cheetahs56
You lot have to be favourites for our FA Cup tie now. Imo it's stupid that Europa League winner doesn't get CL football, should be a certainty. So when will the date of FA cup replay be if you lot (which I fully expect and hope you to) get through in Europa? Will you have to play 4 in a week?

Can't the FA just move the semi final date a week back ffs? Erm no idea that's what they're trying to find out. Well in europa it's fixed so it's really up to the FA to work around it for the best interests of chelsea.

Guess we'll have to play 4 in a week or do 3 match weeks 2 weeks in a row, that's the problem with europa, think they should get rid of the round of 32 and do a round of 16 like in the CL because it just leads to ridiculous timetables at least with the CL there's less of a problem as there's more rest and you have bigger breaks inbetween matches.
Original post by jam277
Can't the FA just move the semi final date a week back ffs? Erm no idea that's what they're trying to find out. Well in europa it's fixed so it's really up to the FA to work around it for the best interests of chelsea.

Guess we'll have to play 4 in a week or do 3 match weeks 2 weeks in a row, that's the problem with europa, think they should get rid of the round of 32 and do a round of 16 like in the CL because it just leads to ridiculous timetables at least with the CL there's less of a problem as there's more rest and you have bigger breaks inbetween matches.

Yep, best solution has gotta be postponing the Semi's by a week. I find it pretty wierd how if you go out of CL you get another chance in Europa, don't think that's fair on teams. Said that last year that it would be unfair if we won it and undeserved.

A PL match might end up being re-schedueled instead.
Thought you'd like to know that Anderson, Smalling play tonight in U21's .. (as do Buttner and Powell but they are regulars basically)

Apparently its so cold the ref has stated he may have to abandon it, but it's acvceptable for now
Smalling just got two footed like a bitch, guy got a red card for it, seems okay though.

Takes a lot to get a red at u21 level sometimes too
Reply 1979
Original post by Tommyjw
Smalling just got two footed like a bitch, guy got a red card for it, seems okay though.

Takes a lot to get a red at u21 level sometimes too

Who's the opposition?

Latest