The Student Room Group

Current year 11's - do you know what uni course you want to study?

Scroll to see replies

And to think I thought it was only me that was already choosing unis!

Predicted GCSEs : all A*s (*gulp*)
Achieved grades: A* Maths
A* English Language
A* Astronomy (yes, it does exist guys)
A-Levels I plan on taking: French, History, Latin and Economics (will finish AS Maths by the end of Year 11)
University plans: either Modern Languages, History or Law. Love languages though, so I'll probably do those!
WhereI really really like the MML course at Cambridge and the fact that you can take one language from scratch, which I'd love to do. They don't offer German at my current school but I could still study it at Cambridge if I got in. I also really like the triple honours degrees at St. Andrew's as I'd love to study 3 languages but they're 5 years long! (If you include the year abroad, that is)
Work experience: Not quite sure yet, what could I do as work experience for languages? I'll probably just do extra reading?
Original post by unique_freak
i hate maths so thats a defo no:rolleyes: hmm not really sure its either i do the three sciences and rs or english history rs and chem

I'd say the latter one :wink: or even better...

Biology
Chemistry
History/English Lit
RS
Reply 102
Predicted GCSEs :
3 As and the rest are Bs. (out of 11 subjects)

Achieved grades:
Fully qualified grades? Um, A in Chemistry (super proud of that!) B in Biology, C in Graphic Products (this year I'm working that up to a B, maybe an A if I try hard)and a C in Maths (personal goal to get a B)

A-Levels I plan on taking:
I have two colleges in mind: My first choice college I picked; English Literature, Early Modern History, Graphic Communication and Biology.

My back up college I picked: English Literature, History(they only offer one course), Sociology and Biology. I've got my conditional place there already, so I have to see if I've been accepted in my first choice.

University plans:
I don't know what I want to do yet, but I know I would like to go to to Liverpool John Moores Uni or somewhere else close. Either an English or History based Degree or an Art-based one. Mainly the things I'm good at, but definitely not fine art Degree (do they exist?)... The Art & Design GCSE just kills the hobby for me so to carry that one I would have to find something else to kill my spare time with :/

Work experience:
For my Year 10 experience I worked in BHS in Liverpool City Center. To be honest I picked somewhere to travel based on how long it is to get there. Only 30 minutes in the morning but an hour back at night, well 5pm. I wanted to be like my mum who has to travel loads to get to uni and her work placement, thinking if I do something like that now, to be like her (yes, I idolise my mum but she can never know that), it shows commitment. Also I thought, well still think, that to get the best places and jobs you have to be willing to do long haul travel. In my first choice college its and hour and fifteen minutes to get from my house to college and the same back again. For the courses I would enjoy and aren't offered closer to me without dropping other things.

Also right now I'm volunteering in my local library so I have something else for my CV and other applications.
Original post by EduWiz
Is gem like normal medicine but shorter??

It is essentially. Basically, because everyone on the course already has a degree, they can miss out the bits that everyone has already done. Like all the 'how to work as a group' stuff! It's a bit more intense as gem is only 4 years but all the same content is covered.
Predicted GCSEs :
11 A*

Achieved grades:
A* Maths, A* Business Studies A2, A Computing AS. All Modules so far A*

Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Latin, Electronics

University plans:
Computer Science at Cambridge or Engineering there

Work experience: Trying to get some at Jaguar. Applied for Arkwright Scholarship, so hopefully some there.
Original post by alice_c_97
yeah that's probably my dream job! :smile: I definitely wouldn't be strong enough to work in oncology or palliative care:/ A&E would be a bit to stressful for me as well I think! ah psychiatry sounds really interesting! Sports medicine isn't one I've really considered but sounds like it could be interesting. I don't think we can really decide though, have to get in to study medicine first!! Are you considering any other career or are you set on medicine?

No i definitely couldn't do that. I considered surgery for a while but I don't think I would be that good at it...yeah we still have a long way to go before deciding specialties!! Haha :P I'm pretty set on medicine: I can't really imagine myself doing anything else, but otherwise definitely something scientific.
predicted GCSE grades: Mostly C's and a few B's. I'm bad at exams.
A-levels you plan on taking: I'm going to college to study Public Services with Applied Law.
University plans (if any) : I want to study criminology and law.
Which university: any, I'm not bothered as long as I can get the course suitable.
Work experience: I went to the citizens advice bureau for one week then a day care centre for the elderly with mental health problems the other week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NightStrider
Predicted GCSEs :
11 A*

Achieved grades:
A* Maths, A* Business Studies A2, A Computing AS. All Modules so far A*

Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Latin, Electronics

University plans:
Computer Science at Cambridge or Engineering there

Work experience: Trying to get some at Jaguar. Applied for Arkwright Scholarship, so hopefully some there.

Wow.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Wow.

My thoughts exactly when I saw that post
Original post by lilixxx1000
My thoughts exactly when I saw that post

And if it's true, he's beaten the UK record for youngest age to get an A* in Business Studies A2.

Previously held by a girl in my school who achieved it in year eleven!
Hehe no worries :P I'm predicted 9A*/A's and I already have an A* in my English language IGCSE. Hoping for around 6/7 A*'s but it all depends on the day really! Have you started revising yet? :smile:

Well done! Your grades sound superb!
Now I know what competition I'll have to be prepared to face in two years time :wink: What universities are you interested in?

I've literally just started revising today.

One subject a week until the exams. But my plan isn't working out because we've only got 8 weeks and I've got 10 exams so I'm going to leave out French (I'm fluent but I didn't do the GCSE because I don't want to be forced to do Spanish :tongue:) and I'll try and squeeze in a subject somewhere.
Reply 111
Original post by PINKFLEUR
Well done! Your grades sound superb!
Now I know what competition I'll have to be prepared to face in two years time :wink: What universities are you interested in?

I've literally just started revising today.

One subject a week until the exams. But my plan isn't working out because we've only got 8 weeks and I've got 10 exams so I'm going to leave out French (I'm fluent but I didn't do the GCSE because I don't want to be forced to do Spanish :tongue:) and I'll try and squeeze in a subject somewhere.

Haha thanks!! hehe just hope I achieve them! I'm interested in Birmingham, Bristol and London based ones, you? Haha I started properly on Saturday:smile: that makes sense, I'm doing 15/20 mins per night of a different subject every day, and at the weekends focusing all on one subject. At least we have the Easter hols!! Good luck!!
Haha thanks!! hehe just hope I achieve them! I'm interested in Birmingham, Bristol and London based ones, you? Haha I started properly on Saturday:smile: that makes sense, I'm doing 15/20 mins per night of a different subject every day, and at the weekends focusing all on one subject. At least we have the Easter hols!! Good luck!!

Birmigham, Keele, Kings and perhaps Cambridge (willing to take a risk!)

I'm hoping that this will pay off in the end, I'm already hyperventilating about the exams. What worse is that I have to keep up to top with the commitments I have to maintain i.e. cadets, volunteering etc.
Ah cool, wow good luck!! do you know where you want to study yet?

I'd love to study at Glasgow University! Do you have any idea?
Wow.

Thanks.
Predicted grades
8A*s 2As

Achieved
A* Maths igcse

Planned A-levels
Maths, Further Maths, Mandarin, Economics, English lit.

University
No idea what I want to do, maybe something economics-y

Work Experience
None, really need to sort some out aha
And if it's true, he's beaten the UK record for youngest age to get an A* in Business Studies A2.

Previously held by a girl in my school who achieved it in year eleven!

I am in year 11 !
Original post by NightStrider
I am in year 11 !

Yes, but she achieved it at the end of year eleven! You've done it before :biggrin:

I like maths, languages and chem...

High five! Languages all the way! And chem <3
Original post by Peaches & Cream
High five! Languages all the way! And chem <3

:woo: :five:

I love languages, such a shame I only do french... And then half a course in welsh, in which I learn nada...

But I'm teaching myself Italian,Spanish and soon German properly :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest