The Student Room Group

Best way to revise for economics?

I always find it hard revising for economics. I'm doing AQA Econ2 (AS) and I'm trying to figure out how I can revise all the topics :/ Any help? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Revision book maybe (I don't used one so can't recommend any specific).
Doing past papers help - also the 'old ones' with 15 multiple choice question - the structure is a bit different but questions are similar.
Reply 2
Exam papers, exam papers and more exam papers. Any content you don't understand look over, then do some more past papers.
Have a suck on this sauce pot: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Guide-AS-Level-Economics/dp/1905504217/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363637236&sr=1-1

Found it really useful - succinct and condensed, just what you want. Just copied it all out in conjunction with this bad boy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Economics-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/1444148273/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363637366&sr=1-1

Used them both together at the same time, picking bits out of each which explained the theory and concepts the best. The 2nd book is particularly useful as it shows sample answers to questions and comments on them - it's written by a senior examiner.

Past papers is a must, but i'd recommend finishing and revising the whole syllabus first, then doing them. Mind maps can also be helpful for linking ideas together, for instance I did them on each topic to prepare myself for the 25 markers as it helped me have lots of ideas when tackling a question. Cue cards are handy for the 5 mark definition question.

But above all, past papers in timed conditions is an absolute must - try to improve your speed on the multiple choice question so you can have time left over for the essay.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Scratchyjam
Have a suck on this sauce pot: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Guide-AS-Level-Economics/dp/1905504217/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363637236&sr=1-1

Found it really useful - succinct and condensed, just what you want. Just copied it all out in conjunction with this bad boy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Economics-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/1444148273/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363637366&sr=1-1

Used them both together at the same time, picking bits out of each which explained the theory and concepts the best. The 2nd book is particularly useful as it shows sample answers to questions and comments on them - it's written by a senior examiner.

Past papers is a must, but i'd recommend finishing and revising the whole syllabus first, then doing them. Mind maps can also be helpful for linking ideas together, for instance I did them on each topic to prepare myself for the 25 markers as it helped me have lots of ideas when tackling a question. Cue cards are handy for the 5 mark definition question.

But above all, past papers in timed conditions is an absolute must - try to improve your speed on the multiple choice question so you can have time left over for the essay.

Good luck!

Thank you! I ordered the second book you linked to a few days ago, hopefully it'll help me :biggrin: Have you done the exam then? What did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JodieW
Thank you! I ordered the second book you linked to a few days ago, hopefully it'll help me :biggrin: Have you done the exam then? What did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries. Yeah i'm in A2 now. Got an A at AS and recently got an A* for unit 3 exam by using those two books (well, the A2 versions).
Reply 6
Original post by JodieW
I always find it hard revising for economics. I'm doing AQA Econ2 (AS) and I'm trying to figure out how I can revise all the topics :/ Any help? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apart from exams........

I tend to make sure I have a notepad with all the important graphs and understand it completely.
I use graphs to work out the answers to the answers, as I seem to be able to get what im looking for from a graph.
Reply 7
No worries. Yeah i'm in A2 now. Got an A at AS and recently got an A* for unit 3 exam by using those two books (well, the A2 versions).

Wow, well done! Best of luck for this summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Iqbal007
Apart from exams........

I tend to make sure I have a notepad with all the important graphs and understand it completely.
I use graphs to work out the answers to the answers, as I seem to be able to get what im looking for from a graph.

Thank you, great advice (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Past papers, find out what you're stuck on and learn that and do more past papers.

Eventually there will be NOTHING that can stop you :smile:

I do that and I am working at 90%+ per paper
Original post by JodieW
Wow, well done! Best of luck for this summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, you too!

You only used those 2 books? What about this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-AS-Economics-Textbook-Unit/dp/0340947500/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1364231984&sr=8-5

Used my school book as well, so 3.

No I never used that, but by the sounds of it looks really good. It's written by the same examiner that writes the book I posted early.
AQA Economics textbook.

I read that, made notes and kept up to date with current affairs.

Plus I regularly read the Tutor2u website, went to their revision workshop with examiners and got hints about the exam.

Plus, read the mark scheme to know what they're looking for (after you do a paper, of course).
Making notes from mark schemes - they all share similar reasons. You just need to spot the layout, or pattern.

TIMING! Time yourself during multiple choices and essay. Do one after another.

Make a plan before answering each essay question.

Revise from textbook.

Make a list of all the definition, and memories it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest