The Student Room Group

Worried I broke my boyfriend's computer and he'll hate me forever

Hello all. This morning I spilt some water on my boyfriend's computer. I don't think that much water got in. My boyfriend was annoyed at first but when he saw how upset I was he said don't worry, nothing is broken, it'll be fine. He works as an IT manager so maybe he really thought that, or maybe he is just lovely. Either way I now feel too ashamed and guilty to talk to him and I have no idea if I broke his computer or not. This morning before leaving his he unplugged it, opened it and left it on its side to dry.

So...what do you all think? How easy is it to break a computer (which wasn't turned on) with water?

(edit) **Breaking news** It was fine afterall.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by campy
Hello all. This morning I spilt some water on my boyfriend's computer. I don't think that much water got in. My boyfriend was annoyed at first but when he saw how upset I was he said don't worry, nothing is broken, it'll be fine. He works as an IT manager so maybe he really thought that, or maybe he is just lovely. Either way I now feel too ashamed and guilty to talk to him and I have no idea if I broke his computer or not. This morning before leaving his he unplugged it, opened it and left it on its side to dry.

So...what do you all think? How easy is it to break a computer (which wasn't turned on) with water?

Your boyfriend has quite rightly left it turned off and opened it up to dry, provided he leaves it to dry thoroughly then he's minimised the risk of causing damage. If it was only a small amount in the first place then fingers crossed there won't be anything to worry about :yy:
Reply 2
How much water and where did you spill it?
Good that he has turned it off for a while, the extent of the damage depends on my first two questions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
What kind of damage could there be? Fingers crossed indeed...thanks for being kind :smile:

Original post by Pinkhead
How much water and where did you spill it?
Good that he has turned it off for a while, the extent of the damage depends on my first two questions.

I actually don't know the answers to either questions. His appartment was open plan, I was in the 'kitchen' and there is a breakfast bar behind the counters and behind that, next to his chairs, is the computer. Not much water left the bottle I knocked over and there was a lot on the floor. So...yeah, doesn't really help so much. Any water would have just gone directly in where the fan is (fan wasn't turning as it was off)
Original post by campy

He won't know until it is completely dried out, and depends on which parts were affected as to how much damage might have been done, but until then it most likely won't be usable and a pretty good chance something won't work, so I'd go with the lovely option.
Reply 5
OMG! ones computer is sacrosanct
Original post by campy
What kind of damage could there be? Fingers crossed indeed...thanks for being kind :smile:

I actually don't know the answers to either questions. His appartment was open plan, I was in the 'kitchen' and there is a breakfast bar behind the counters and behind that, next to his chairs, is the computer. Not much water left the bottle I knocked over and there was a lot on the floor. So...yeah, doesn't really help so much. Any water would have just gone directly in where the fan is (fan wasn't turning as it was off)

Depends which parts it got, it could range from a RAM replacement to rendering it completely inoperable. Or it could be completely fine. Just ensure he leaves it off for as long as he can go without it.
Your boyfriend isn' too bothered though. Well at least he isn't angry, or he's being kind and suppressing it. In the long run, doesn't matter. Leave it to dry with some silicone or rice for a week and see if it works. He probably knows what he's doing (I hope so), so could be fine, could be destroyed, who cares.
You're getting dumped bitch!
Reply 9
was it a desktop or a laptop?

With a desktop I think only the keyboard will be ruined (which I'm guessing is where you'll have it spilled)

With a laptop, the damage maybe more detrimental. Once again it depends on the amount and where exactly it spilled. Only time will tell but in the meantime you should hope for the best and think about a nice present for your bf probably.
As long as the xbox is fine it should be ok.
Reply 11
Original post by bluemax
was it a desktop or a laptop?

With a desktop I think only the keyboard will be ruined (which I'm guessing is where you'll have it spilled)

With a laptop, the damage maybe more detrimental. Once again it depends on the amount and where exactly it spilled. Only time will tell but in the meantime you should hope for the best and think about a nice present for your bf probably.

It was a desktop, and I literally spilled water into the actual computer, not on the keyboard.

Original post by Just Declan
As long as the xbox is fine it should be ok.

hahaha :smile:

thanks for your replies guys, calmed me down a bit and HOORAY! He just messaged me saying computer is fine. All is well in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending