The Student Room Group

I feel as if I'm socially excluded because I don't drink?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
By 'anywhere', do you mean literally that, or just places that involve alcohol?

I'd guess they just don't think you're interested. Next time they organise something, just invite yourself and say something along the lines of you wanting to go out on these nights out, or you wanted to see that film, or whatever, for a change. If they're your friends, I wouldn't think it's cheeky. I bet at least one of them will say that they didn't think you were bothered.
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
Well, 'madfish'- I think I just realized that I literally have zero concern for people like you. I hope you get a 2:2 and work in low level admin! :biggrin:

Considering I am going to Canada after sixth form and not University, I would be very happy with a 2:2 :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by madfish
Considering I am going to Canada after sixth form and not University, I would be very happy with a 2:2 :biggrin:

Damn, I hate it when this happens.
Reply 23
Damn, I hate it when this happens.

Yea, I would be asking yourself some serious questions about your ability of taking on a university course
Reply 24
Ask your friends why. If you're happy going out with them then there's no reason why you can't be invited :smile:
Reply 25
It's annoying because it could effect my gainzz.
Reply 26
Original post by matt9210
By 'anywhere', do you mean literally that, or just places that involve alcohol?

I'd guess they just don't think you're interested. Next time they organise something, just invite yourself and say something along the lines of you wanting to go out on these nights out, or you wanted to see that film, or whatever, for a change. If they're your friends, I wouldn't think it's cheeky. I bet at least one of them will say that they didn't think you were bothered.

No, my close friends invite me like most places- but I tend to get excluded from things that involve drinking... but like I don't get random party invites or anything and when I do I kind of feel as if they are due to sympathy.
Reply 27
Sorry I exist you *******, its people like you that make me think I might as well live at home when I go to university in September. I mean, if people aren't gonna invite me out- I can just live at home, it would be no different.

You could always just spend the hundreds of pounds you would otherwise spend on Alcohol on joining **** loads of Societies.(It's what I did)

So while they are off getting bladdered and destroying there bodies every night, you can be honing skills/doing sports/socializing like a baws.
And you can still go out with your mates, and not have to spend money on drinks.
Reply 28
Original post by deedee123
drinking is a huge part of student culture, not partaking in it means you're excluding yourself from social activities-there's not much you can do if you want to hang around these people except start drinking i suppose...

Bull sh*t nobody needs to drink to have fun, coffee mugs have done the trick for years. It's all an illusion, if you think about it people drink just to lack conscience control. Alcohol is just a liquid, water is a liquid, coke zero is a liquid. Coke zero will increase your blood glucose concentration and induce a physical state of alertness. You don't HAVE to drink, your friends have to accustom themselves to the fact that you don't want/like/ to drink.
Reply 29
Original post by Syrokal
You could always just spend the hundreds of pounds you would otherwise spend on Alcohol on joining **** loads of Societies.(It's what I did)

So while they are off getting bladdered and destroying there bodies every night, you can be honing skills/doing sports/socializing like a baws.
And you can still go out with your mates, and not have to spend money on drinks.

The truth is, I spend a lot more than most people on day to day life so I'm not really sure I can afford to drink hahaa
Reply 30
Original post by rival_
Bull sh*t nobody needs to drink to have fun, coffee mugs have done the trick for years. It's all an illusion, if you think about it people drink just to lack conscience control. Alcohol is just a liquid, water is a liquid, coke zero is a liquid. Coke zero will increase your blood glucose concentration and induce a physical state of alertness. You don't HAVE to drink, your friends have to accustom themselves to the fact that you don't want/like/ to drink.

Pretty much this, I sneak in three of those 35p energy drinks, and im buzzing like im slaughtered all night.
Original post by rival_

Coke Zero and water does not have the same effect as alcohol does, what are you talking about? the effects of alcohol are not an "illusion" they are a physical reaction occurring in your body.

your friends don't have to accustom themselves to anything. No matter what you say, not drinking does exclude you from activities, my point is proven by the OP not being invited out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by deedee123
my point is proven by the OP not being invited out.

It isn't... you can't make such sweeping generalisations.
Perhaps, you drink too much and cant understand.
No, my close friends invite me like most places- but I tend to get excluded from things that involve drinking... but like I don't get random party invites or anything and when I do I kind of feel as if they are due to sympathy.

this makes it pretty obvious ^^

It isn't... you can't make such sweeping generalisations.
Perhaps, you drink too much and cant understand.

hilarious how you tell me off for making a "sweeping generalisation" then follow it with a "sweeping generalisation :rofl2:
Hey.

I rarely drink either and am also not invited to any random drinking parties. I think thats more to do with the fact that I'm not in the 'cool' social circle than for the reason that I hardly drink.

To be honest I'm not really bothered and even when I go to uni in september I'm still not going to drink just because others are and/or people might not want to hang out with me since I must be boring as I don't drink.

Just do whatever you feel comfortable doing and if that's an issue with others than it's their loss. After all, for all we know, you could be a fun person to hang out with, without mixing alcohol into the equation.
Reply 35
Maybe you should invite people round or organise something yourself. Also, experiment with some drinks, try and find one or two that you like and stick to it:smile:
Reply 36
Talk to your friends? Maybe they think you wouldn't enjoy yourself whilst they're all drunk. I don't drink excessively (actually haven't drank this academic year) and I still get invited to tons of places…

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you smoke the herb that might make up for not drinking.
Well, 'madfish'- I think I just realized that I literally have zero concern for people like you. I hope you get a 2:2 and work in low level admin! :biggrin:

Wow. I think the fact that you think that a 2:2 level university degree is common dirt is pretty insulting to most of the population.
On topic of the thread, I know people that have a great time going out and not drinking, but these people all have very strong, fun loving personalities.

I reckon that if people aren't inviting you out it's because you don't look like you're having fun when you do go out. Or they think you disapprove of drinking. Have you explained your reasons for not drinking to them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending