The Student Room Group

Is it possible for a girl to be attractive with a big nose and thin lips

Right here's the problem. I am frequently called ugly etc and I believe that the reason is my nose and my lips. On a night out I will put a lot of effort into my hair and make up, trying to accentuate my eyes which I have been told are pretty, and I spend a ridiculous amount of money on cosmetics and clothes. However I still get ignored and hardly ever chatted up and I think the reason is my nose (long with a big bump) and lips (So thin the top one is pretty much non existant) make me unattractive. Figure-wise I am a size 10 and 5'6, so not fat but not skinny, I am currently working to lose weight, I've lost 20lbs so far and would like to get down to a size 8 (On top anyway, not sure my bum will ever fit into an 8 hahahaha). My two flatmates often tell me before a night out that I look gorgeous etc but they're the only ones who ever say this, and it's really starting to get me down seeing my friends get so much male attention.

At school it felt like no one really cared that I was ugly but since coming to uni it seems to be a lot more appearance- focussed and I feel like no one really makes any effort to get to know me because I am so unattractive. Please help me, are nose and lips a deal breaker to you?

Scroll to see replies

Stop being insecure and just be you.
Such self-depreciation, excessive make up and a lack of confidence is probably holding you back more so.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Reindeer o't Roc
Such self-depreciation, excessive make up and a lack of confidence is probably holding you back more so.

I wouldn't say my make up was excessive, nothing like geordie shore or anything
Original post by hermitthefrog
I wouldn't say my make up was excessive, nothing like geordie shore or anything

"and I spend a ridiculous amount of money on cosmetics and clothes."

leo.png
Original post by farfalla
pic?

No thanks, I've seen how brutal people on here can be, I think if I were to post a picture on here I would lose what very little self esteem I have left
It depends.

Some people have physical traits that might be seen as unattractive but they seem to pull it off well.

It depends on the rest of your face really.

Not going to be able to tell you unless you provide a pic. If not then no way to know, just get some self-confidence either way.
Right here's the problem. I am frequently called ugly etc and I believe that the reason is my nose and my lips. On a night out I will put a lot of effort into my hair and make up, trying to accentuate my eyes which I have been told are pretty, and I spend a ridiculous amount of money on cosmetics and clothes. However I still get ignored and hardly ever chatted up and I think the reason is my nose (long with a big bump) and lips (So thin the top one is pretty much non existant) make me unattractive. Figure-wise I am a size 10 and 5'6, so not fat but not skinny, I am currently working to lose weight, I've lost 20lbs so far and would like to get down to a size 8 (On top anyway, not sure my bum will ever fit into an 8 hahahaha). My two flatmates often tell me before a night out that I look gorgeous etc but they're the only ones who ever say this, and it's really starting to get me down seeing my friends get so much male attention.

At school it felt like no one really cared that I was ugly but since coming to uni it seems to be a lot more appearance- focussed and I feel like no one really makes any effort to get to know me because I am so unattractive. Please help me, are nose and lips a deal breaker to you?

Lol... Such problems we create for ourselves... Umm... They say "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" so I guess your nose and lips aren't actually a deal breaker. Since you feel like no one approaches you, why don't you try to approach others. I mean "If Moses/Mohammed etc. doesn't go to the mountain, the mountain must come to him/her". Apart from approaching people, maybe you might want to analyse the way you present yourself personality/character wise...

Trust me I've been there, I've always had a horrible nose and I'm much fatter than most girls, I genuinely thought I wouldn't ever be attractive to someone but think of all the people out there who successfully find men and have happy relationships, you can't think they're all more attractive than you! It's not ugly, it's just an insecurity. I'm sure you're gorgeous.
The boys on here are all teenagers with little to no life experience, you'll have no luck with them. Spending money on make up does not mean buying a lot of it, it means buying good quality products.
(edited 11 years ago)

I very much doubt that you're as unattractive as you believe. But I think without a picture, it's very difficult to give a more constructive response. Nevertheless, I have always found that confidence and a bit of charisma can make even the most average-looking person unbelievably attractive.
So all I can suggest is be yourself, love yourself....and SMILE :smile:
If a picture would help people give a HELPFUL, CONSTRUCTIVE ANSWER PM me for one, very uncomfortable with the idea of posting it on here.
Original post by Kateislate
Trust me I've been there, I've always had a horrible nose and I'm much fatter than most girls, I genuinely thought I wouldn't ever be attractive to someone but think of all the people out there who successfully find men and have happy relationships, you can't think they're all more attractive than you! It's not ugly, it's just an insecurity. I'm sure you're gorgeous.
The boys on here are all teenagers with little to no life experience, you'll have no luck with them. To the idiot above, spending money on make up does not mean buying a lot of it, it means buying good quality products.

Thanks, your response was really helpful! I guess I am young and haven't met the right person yet hahaha, I am mixing with a lot of men in clubs I guess which doesn't really seem to be doing my self esteem any favours.

And yes to the second comment, I like how to guys spending a lot of money = wearing a lot of make up

Send an image over pm if.you like :hmpf:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hmm, night out eh... do you know many guys, is there anyone you particularly like? try looking to see if you find someone attractive on a night out, try speaking to them first.
or...

Nose job?

or never turn sideways again

or...

Don't try and get looks from guys in clubs/nights, sniff around other places?

OR!!!

Take up boxing, it'll flatten your nose, make you lose weight and you'll meet a few guys.
Original post by sufferin succotash
hmm, night out eh... do you know many guys, is there anyone you particularly like? try looking to see if you find someone attractive on a night out, try speaking to them first.
or...

Nose job?

or never turn sideways again

or...

Don't try and get looks from guys in clubs/nights, sniff around other places?

OR!!!

Take up boxing, it'll flatten your nose, make you lose weight and you'll meet a few guys.

Yes, I've met a lot of guys since coming to uni, none of whom seem to have any interest in me beyond the usual 'I'm drunk, I want a shag, any girl will do' type mentality.

I met a guy quite early on who I really really liked but low and behold he wasn't interested and now completely blanks me. I met a guy on a night out who seemed very nice and I added him on Facebook but he hadn't made an effort to talk since then. That's it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Oh dear OP...

I'm sure you're not as bad as you think you are. Obviously no pic, no way to tell, but I understand having reservations on posting a pic here.

As a guy, I can't give you that much advice on cosmetic crap. On the nose, I have a larger than average hooter, wouldn't get mardy about it, nothing you can do (outside of plastic surgery).

All you can do is be yourself. I ****ing hate that cliche, cheesy saying, but it's true. If they aren't interested in you for your sparkling personality, they aren't worth the effort. Take up a hobby to build up your self esteem too. Can't expect anyone else to love you if you hate yourself.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're trying to meet a guy to start a relationship with, a nightclub is not the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes, I've met a lot of guys since coming to uni, none of whom seem to have any interest in me beyond the usual 'I'm drunk, I want a shag, any girl will do' type mentality.

I met a guy quite early on who I really really liked but low and behold he wasn't interested and now completely blanks me. I met a guy on a night out who seemed very nice and I added him on Facebook but he hadn't made an effort to talk since then. That's it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

hmm, it's difficult to just randomly talk to someone, can seem quite odd, and people can be off put if they're busy. but give it ago and speak to him! :biggrin:, sly that the other guy blanks you, but people do, today i nodded to people i normally may ignore. I've taken it upon my self to nod/achknowledge more often though lol.

Glad you were able to see past my joke answers... lol
Pm me a pic? There was this one girl in college who had a slightly crooked nose it wasnt overly large but i thought she was absolutely stunning. I was too much of a pussy to approach her
Reply 18
Well we don't have a pic. But yes it's perfectly possible.
Reply 19
Pm'd I want to see a pic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending