The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
As I've said before, if you want to know what you need to know / don't need to know, look at the spec. No point just going purely by the textbooks.

For some reason I never even thought of that... O_o
Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by James A
Where is this on the spec?

You're asking me to show you something that is implied rather than stated. Perhaps it would help if I expanded on the question under discussion.It is from an older ‘B’ Spec that was current in 2000 and only states the following in its section on tissue fluid:

“The relationship between blood, tissue fluid, lymph and plasma.”

There’s no mention of having to calculate pressure but it was perfectly in order to ask this in the actual paper. If your school has purchased Exampro, you can find the full question by applying the topic filter of “transport systems”
Similarly, the current specification refers to magnification and resolution but there’s no reference to calculation. In questions however,you can be asked to calculate magnification or object size. So experience tells us that some things are implied rather than stated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Swords N Thorns
What do we have to actually know about Meiosis?
My CGP book seems to go into a fair bit of detail compared to the Nelson Thornes one...

The Nelson Thornes book is a very good guide to what you need to know and it has the full backing of AQA. Complementing this with current past papers will give you the best idea of what you need. Your teacher should also be able to map legacy questions to the current spec, rather like the Thornes book already does but on a larger scale.
JUST TO CONFIRM It's this paper where we have to know about primary secondary and tertiary in detail and not unit 1?
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
JUST TO CONFIRM It's this paper where we have to know about primary secondary and tertiary in detail and not unit 1?

Yeah, learn also what quartenary means.

You will find one of the past papers asking for what it means.

It usually is asked in the haemaglobin questions....
Original post by Simran Mars Foster

Protein structure appears quite a lot in Unit 1,invariably as part of a question on enzymes or immunity.

In Unit 2, as well as DNA/meiosis, you see it in haemoglobin/transport and a bit on how orgs are related.

Like cytology, it’s a good example of one of those things you just carry with you through the whole A level.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 206
Anybody have any predictions on what might be on the Biology Unit 1 and 2 exams, AQA?
Original post by Jessie-x
Anybody have any predictions on what might be on the Biology Unit 1 and 2 exams, AQA?

I'm hedging my bets on something on immunity like the tole of B and T cells.
Original post by Jessie-x

UNIT 1: enzymes, cholera, COPD, B & T (selection/cloning)

UNIT 2: haemoglobin, meiosis (variation), gills/spiracles
Reply 209
Original post by biology911

What's COPD?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind if things could you get with cloning and selective

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone explain to me cohesion tension theory please?
Original post by Jimmy20002012
What kind if things could you get with cloning and selective

Posted from TSR Mobile

By selection I mean of the B or T cells complementary to the incoming antigens. As any subsequent mitosis is always derived from these ‘chosen’ cells, it is by definition a form of cloning.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It’s a collective term covering emphysema and long term bronchitis. Some might throw in farmer’s lung and asbestosis, but anything included has to be chronic rather than acute.
Original post by science-oliver

A good start would be “36 Drops of water on a penny” on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O8PuMkiimg
Reply 215
Original post by sahdiya
Hi I'm stuck on what I need to know about haemoglobin

Posted from TSR Mobile

same,dont exactly understand the dissociation curve either.I get that for human haemoglobin it shifts to the right and for organisms that live in a o2 depleted enviroment it shifts to the left;but why?How do i interpret this graph?
Same applies to effetc of co2,enviroment and activity level of organism :s-smilie:
someone please shed some light on this thankyou!
Reply 216

Water is "pulled" up the xylem by the water lost through transpiration. The colum of water doesn't break because of the cohesive forces between the water molecules. Hydrogen bonds between indiviual water molecules is the force of attraction. The pulling action of transpiration stretches the water column in the xylem so that it is under tension.

yeaaaaaahh budddyyy
I made some notes for the first few topics which include transpiration if anyone wants them I can attach them or send them to you
A good start would be “36 Drops of water on a penny” on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O8PuMkiimg

Right okay, could you now tell me what on earth that had to do with cohesion tension theory :confused: :colondollar:
Right okay, could you now tell me what on earth that had to do with cohesion tension theory :confused: :colondollar:

As I said; it's a good start! :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending