The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohitbd
PSG are still talking about how they want Rooney, would you accept 45+mil for him, I personally don't know if Rooney is worth his wages for another 5 years considering the way he looks after his body, and when you look at replacements like Falcao with a 47mil release clause or a young Bale or a possible return of Ronaldo you would have to say it could be a beneficial move, with players such as Kagawa and Welbeck taking up his position it could still keep our attack just as strong/stronger.

The thing is with Rooney is that he is perhaps the most complete and well rounded CF in football. He offers us not only consistent goal scoring, but he can put in a shift practically anywhere in midfield, dictate play, create chances, defend etc etc. He is very frustrating though with is inconsistency.

Even if we sell Rooney we probably won't go and break the bank for Falcao, we'd most likely be looking at someone like Lebandowski, who although is a very good player, is certainly a downgrade.

Funny how when Rooney is off form, his general play turns to absolute garbage but he can still put away a chance, with RvP it seems completely opposite.
Original post by DaveSmith99

Funny how when Rooney is off form, his general play turns to absolute garbage but he can still put away a chance, with RvP it seems completely opposite.

Definitely. RvP off-form is far more anonymous than Rooney off-form, largely noticed in their all around play.
Reply 2342
GK-De Gea 22
RB-Rafaeal 22
CB-Smalling 23
CB-Jones 21
LB- Fabio/Buttner 22/24
RM-Zaha 20
CM/CDM- Cleverly 23/Anderson 24/Wanyama 21/Alcantara 21
CAM-Kagawa/Powell 23/18
LM-Nani 26/Rodriguez 21/ Muniain 20/
ST-Hernandez/Hendriquez 24/18
ST-Welbeck 22

The wingers have been terrible.. Ashley Young hasn't really done anything for us(over both seasons). Nani same old story there and Valencia after getting the famous number 7 shirt this is how he treats us.
George best
Byran Robson
Cantona
Beckham
Ronaldo

Centre of the field needs one player.. young.. hungry and can give exceptional performances..
Original post by cost
Ashley Young hasn't really done anything for us(over both seasons). Nani same old story there and Valencia after getting the famous number 7 shirt this is how he treats us.

Ashley Young gave us a decent return last year for a squad winger tbh (i think he is over-priced but i still value him as a squad player)

And Nani hasn't even been the same old story, atleast he contributed lots then. Never understood all the criticisms of Nani previously, you know so what if he gave the ball away stupidly and frustrated people, the guy still gave us 20 goals + a season. I'd still pick getting frustrated at Nani for poor offensive decisions than getting frustrated at Valencia for passing it backwards all day long atm tbh. On that note, judging by SAFs comments, i reckon Valencia will start v City which is boring
(edited 11 years ago)
We have not had a quality left winger for 5-6 years now. We always seem to have the right side covered but not the left. We would have so many more options when going forward. Just imagine it! Even in ronaldo days, we didnt have a left winger. Giggs does not count as he rarely plays is not type of player I am thinking of, I am thinking of a ronaldo replica style on the left with A LEFT FOOT! Young plays on the left but is right footed.
We need a quality left winger. That will complete our attacking options even if it does seem our attacking is the best in premier league, there will always be improvements that can be made. This is in addition to problems needed to be solved in CM.
Did you guys also notice the praise that was given to valencia by the manager? It is a psychological tactic to praise valencia and give him confidence in order to raise his game. What makes him great manager (most of the time).
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
am thinking of, I am thinking of a ronaldo replica style on the left with A LEFT FOOT! Young plays on the left but is right footed.

Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale
It's a tremendous shame Nani didn't kick on from that great season he had a few years ago when he scored and assisted, got players' player of the year. I still believe in him especially when Valencia is cack and Young is injured or ineffective. The latter, got off to a bright start when he joined us but his form tailed off in his debut season and this season has been riddled with injuries. He's very much a squad player for the PL and the odd game in the CL, he's not that consistent quality we need and hence I think, it wouldn't be surprising, if he was sold at the end of next season if Zaha did well and Nani stayed.

Valencia, might aswell write him off for this season and hope he comes back back to his old self next season and justifys why he wanted the Number 7 jersey. Which have been the worst number seven's out of interest?
I hope that Valencia does not start against City. As frustrating as Nani is off form, he still offers more than an off form Valencia.

It would be nice for us to attempt to take the game to them, instead of playing it safe. We have a high enough points lead to actually try and win the game.
Reply 2349
Hate Barca and PSG but want Beckham to score/win and damn whilst this summer we gained 2 WC players we also lost out on 2 potential WC players in pogba/moura.
Anyone think Marco Veratti is any good? I think he would excellent.
Reply 2351
Original post by jam277
Anyway how would you view this season? You're probably gonna win a league title in one of the poorest seasons but the title's been won strongly so can't fault you guys. The CL was unlucky but you got mourinho's madrid(he did the same thing to us in 2010 when we had the 3rd strongest squad in europe that year) so it's not too disappointing. The FA cup defeat had to be disappointing though and SAF and the players wanted to win the trophy so it's wasn't down to a lack of motivation, just poor tactics.

Any season where you win the league is a great season. Assuming we go on and do it I don't think there can be too many complaints, and most of us probably would have taken it before the season. Sometimes it's difficult to remember that though.

Champions League exit was gutting because it was such a good performance and the result was taken away from us by external factors, but our response to it has been a bit disappointing I think, we haven't looked the same team. Up until that game we strolled around like we were invincible, starting Kagawa, Rooney, Welbeck and RVP in the Bernebau is evidence of that confidence, but ever since going out we've looked a deflated team. The hangover probably cost us the FA cup tie against you, two dreadful performances from us and without wanting to sound disrespectful I don't think you had to be that good to beat us.

Kind of worried we'll get a poor result against City and stumble towards the finish line, if that happens it'll probably feel like the 09/11 seasons where we lost the CL final, a disappointing end to what was ultimately a great season where we were the best side in the country. Hopefully we'll sort ourselves out and go and get the points record, can't help but think this side deserves more than 'only' a title which would put them on the same level as the 09/11 teams I mentioned, if that 'more' can't come through trophies then records are the next thing.
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
Did you guys also notice the praise that was given to valencia by the manager? It is a psychological tactic to praise valencia and give him confidence in order to raise his game. What makes him great manager (most of the time).

Yeah it's quite obvious Valencia's problem is that he's completely shot of confidence. He needs building back up, SAF knows what he's doing.
Original post by rohitbd
Hate Barca and PSG but want Beckham to score/win and damn whilst this summer we gained 2 WC players we also lost out on 2 potential WC players in pogba/moura.

I'd rather Barcelona win it again than anyone else. Wouldn't mind Bayern Munich either, they've been unlucky recently.
Reply 2354
Original post by Busby_Babe
Yeah it's quite obvious Valencia's problem is that he's completely shot of confidence. He needs building back up, SAF knows what he's doing.

In a couple of games when hopefully the title is mathematically secure I wouldn't mind him playing large segments of games to try find some confidence. But he has been SERIOUSLY bad so honestly if there is no improvement by the end of the season I really wouldn't mind if he was gone. I much prefer Nani on the right and Welbeck on the left.
In regards to SAF's management style and assessing what sort of a talk is required for a poor performing player (that is, a hairdryer or an arm round the shoulder), it's tough to see what would be the right medicine for Valencia? It's easy to say the former and for SAF to blast him but I do think, in the back of his mind, that nasty injury he had a few years ago might be mentally holding him back. Maybe he feels if he does what he's good at (that is go past players and supply) that he might be putting himself in danger?

Who knows, I'm just conjecturing but it's sad to see him regressing when it seemed like he started off poor in his career with us, went through a solid spell and has gone backwards.
I think we found suitable midfielder that is linked with Man utd.
His name is Saleh Gomaa. He is a full eqyption international and is only 19 years old. He was player of under-19 tournament last year.He can tackle, pass likes like paul scholes (not exaggerating here) and can shoot! I would rather go for him than Bedner, strootman or wanyama because he is all of them roled into one and his price tage is relatively low and also he is 19. Ofcourse I would rather have Thiago or gotze, but he deep lying midfielder so there is no point comparing them. I wish our scouting team would do more of this sort of stuff, you see all these other clubs get gems of players and we have to buy with players from them with a hefty price tage. I know players come like anderson etc and are bought when they are young and most of the time turn out flops, but if you take a punt out of a player for 10 million instead of 20-25 million then nobody will care that much. But I think he would do our midfield good.

Finally some arab players coming through.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2357
With regards to Valencia I think he might have been affected by RVP's arrival. Valencia has always been more quantity over quality, in that he's so effective because of the sheer number of crosses he'd get in. Even at his best he was never actually a particularly good crosser of the ball, as with most players with that much pace. He was devastating because almost all of our play went through him (often had no proper left winger either).

RVP, and Kagawa I suppose, has seen us play through the middle a lot more. So Valencia sees less of the ball, has less opportunity to put crosses in, and in that way I suppose it's almost a lack of quality in his game we're seeing now. He's not a player who'll regularly create something from nothing, he needs a constant supply of ball to be effective, and he doesn't have that to the same extent anymore.

On the subject of wingers and number 7s, christ I still love Ronaldo. I should hate Madrid after they knocked us out, and in that fashion, but I probably want them to win it more than anyone else left in the competition.
Original post by Louis.
With regards to Valencia I think he might have been affected by RVP's arrival. Valencia has always been more quantity over quality, in that he's so effective because of the sheer number of crosses he'd get in. Even at his best he was never actually a particularly good crosser of the ball, as with most players with that much pace. He was devastating because almost all of our play went through him (often had no proper left winger either).

RVP, and Kagawa I suppose, has seen us play through the middle a lot more. So Valencia sees less of the ball, has less opportunity to put crosses in, and in that way I suppose it's almost a lack of quality in his game we're seeing now. He's not a player who'll regularly create something from nothing, he needs a constant supply of ball to be effective, and he doesn't have that to the same extent anymore.

On the subject of wingers and number 7s, christ I still love Ronaldo. I should hate Madrid after they knocked us out, and in that fashion, but I probably want them to win it more than anyone else left in the competition.

I want to see Madrid get destroyed in London City
Reply 2359
if you think about it Nani is at the center of all our cup exits this season.

Latest