The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nursing students - Halls??

I know nothing about the halls provided at nottingham university apart from what is on their website, anyone with any information?

And where has everyone decided to stay that are going to be studying nursing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well one of the best places to stay is St Peters Court which is just outside of the main uni campus and it's not to far from the Queens Medical Centre which is basically where you will be 99% of the time as a student nurse, regardless of your field of nursing. Also apparently there is a shuttle bus from St Peters Court to the Queens Medical Centre. I only know this because I've rung up the accommodation guys recently at Nottingham uni as I'm trying to sort accommodation here myself as I'm going to be going there in September as an undergraduate adult nurse and like anyone else I want the best accommodation possible. If this is no help then I'm sorry, but I'm more than happy to share with you what I know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Hey guys!! Adult nursing for me in September super excited :biggrin: I was speaking to a student ambassador who said that they try to push nursing students to Raleigh Park, don't ask me why though it clearly isn't the best option but thats what i heard :confused:
Reply 3
I never really got advised about accommodation until I conducted my own research on it, I rung up the accommodation guys at Nottingham as it was the simplest way to get advice and me to :biggrin: i'm buzzing ! Ps login to your student portal which Nottingham provide you with when you submitted your application to them and go on to the accommodation section or just go on the accommodation section through the main website :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
Why isn't Raleigh Park the best option for Nursing students? I was going to put it as my first preference and I'm going to be studying Nursing in September? :confused:
When looking at accommodation you need to consider distance from Queens med and the city centre for transport to placements. I have gone for St Peters court and I'm starting adult nursing in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
But there's a free shuttle bus that runs every ten minutes from Raleigh Park to Queens :smile: I thought St. Peters court was close to Raleigh Park anyway?
Original post by jessicahelenread
But there's a free shuttle bus that runs every ten minutes from Raleigh Park to Queens :smile: I thought St. Peters court was close to Raleigh Park anyway?

I don't know much about Raleigh Park but it wasn't one for me I think it was to do with en-suites.
can you have en-suite rooms there? because I had that down as a must especially with doing nursing if room mates are out the night before you need to be up and hogging the bathroom :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessicahelenread

Hello
I'm doing midwifery in September and I went to look at the accommodation yesterday. I looked around the rooms at broadgate and raleigh park and out of the two I definitely prefer raleigh. Raleigh is a 5 minute walk from the medilink bus route which goes between QMC and city hospital and is a free service, so travel to placement and lectures isn't really an issue and they place you in a flat with other student midwifes and nurses so that you all appreciate start times etc. I didn't look at the rooms in SPC as it's the most expensive accommodation and only does en-suites which I'm not that bothered about but it's really close to raleigh so distance isnt an issue either. I think it's just down to preference really, but I'm putting Raleigh park down as my first choice.
Reply 9
Hi, I'm starting mental health nursing in Sept 2013 and for my accommodation I put down Raleigh as my first choice then Broadgate. It seems a lot of nursing students go for Raleigh, so that'll to me seem the best option. I haven't been to look at it, so thats making me a little nervous, but I'm hoping to get up there before term starts to have look around. (I'm coming from Essex so getting up there for an open day would have been difficult).
If you want your own en-suite then I can understand why you'd want to go there :smile: I was just curious! You're right, you can't have an en-suite at Raleigh, but that doesn't really bother me :smile: To be honest I think it's all pretty similar wherever you decide to go, and you're going to enjoy yourself regardless of where you are :smile:
I also put Raleigh down as my preference, it's definitely the cheapest!
Reply 11
Can someone help me please. I've been looking at accommodation for Nottingham and I've applied to do nursing for learning disabilities so I'll be traveling to QMC a lot. I've been looking for something relatively cheap and decided I want to be self catered and probably won't be staying in an en suite. So St. Peters court is not what I'm looking for.

I had a look on the website to see how many people will be sharing a toilet in an self catered flat. It says how many people will be staying in one flat but not hohow many people will be sharing a toilet and bathroom. This is a strong factor for me.

Could someone help please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's the same number that are sharing the flat so in most cases 6 i think, don't go by that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think there are two bathrooms per 6 :smile:
Actually I think it is per 6, just looked on the website and it's suggested that it is. Sorry!
Original post by Smartass
Can someone help me please. I've been looking at accommodation for Nottingham and I've applied to do nursing for learning disabilities so I'll be traveling to QMC a lot. I've been looking for something relatively cheap and decided I want to be self catered and probably won't be staying in an en suite. So St. Peters court is not what I'm looking for.

I had a look on the website to see how many people will be sharing a toilet in an self catered flat. It says how many people will be staying in one flat but not hohow many people will be sharing a toilet and bathroom. This is a strong factor for me.

Could someone help please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The flats are shared between 4-6 people and there are 2 bathrooms in each :smile:
Reply 16
It looks like I'm the ony one who's put Broadgate as their first choice! I hope I haven't got this all completely wrong else my first year could be a nightmare!
As a current first year student living at Raleigh I highly recommend it.
It's a 10-20 minute walk to the QMC (you can get the medilink from there to city hospital for placement or you can catch the medilink at another stop 'The Crown' without having to walk and queue at the QMC). They tend to put nurses in the same flat with a few midwives and other healthcare students thrown in, this makes it a lot easier with placement because everyone understands what its like to get up at 4-5am so they tend to be quiet :smile:.

In terms of other transport, because Raleigh is on Faraday road, you can walk in either direction to catch a bus into the city centre and from there you can pretty much catch a bus to anywhere.
After a nightout or a late shift you can visit the White Horse for cheap takeaway (my flatmates and I know them all by name and vice versa = freebies).
The nearest shops to walk to are Lidl and Tesco (there's also an Aldi but that's a bit further away), in terms of food there's a dominos, subway, wok n' go, the graduate and various other takeaways.

If you're on the BSc with shorter holidays, even though students on other courses have longer holidays, there'll almost always be student nurses there so you wont be alone!

It's the cheapest accommodation but is far better than you'd think for the price. In my flat of 6 we have a large kitchen/diner (with 6 person dining table, 2 sofas and 2 fridge-freezers) and 2 bathrooms. There are also flats of 4 but I think they only have one bathroom between them and a smaller kitchen-diner. There are some houses at Raleigh which have 3 floors; separate kitchen and living rooms, a toilet on the bottom floor, 3 bedrooms and a bathroom on the 1st floor and the other 2 bedrooms and bathroom on the 2nd floor (I have been told that the bedrooms are strange shapes and sizes there though).

They've recently installed wifi (I haven't been back yet to test it out though), so no more pesky network cables for you!

Hope this helps anyone whose anxious about choosing Raleigh :smile:
Thats an excellent reply thanks! I put down SPC as my first choice and Raliegh as my second and third choices but tbh i don't mind what i get :P Just excited to be getting settled in and started tbh! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Hi Everyone, when applying for accommodation at Raleigh Park do you choose the undergraduate or medical student option? I was wondering if by medical they were including all medical related courses because I know people have said they try to put nurses together?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending