The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Another non-drinker here. Firmed Sheffield and looking forward to it.
Reply 161
Original post by rawragee
I knooow :frown: my sister went at 17 as well, she said it wasn't too bad but she had enough and started using somebody else's ID at around January time because she got so bored :redface: we should be fine hopefully!

which university are you going to? :smile:

yeah i'm probably gonna end up doing the same! but what did she do during freshers week? :/

KCL is my firm, havent picked an insurance yet haha. youu? maybe we'll end up together
Original post by BooksOfWonder
I'm worried about having flatmates that are drunk all the time :/ and not finding any friends, because when you don't drink, people are not really inviting you to bars/clubs or parties...
Some of my old friends were always pointing fingers at me "She doesn't drink!"...

I wouldn't worry about not getting invited. I'm still getting invited to pubs, clubs and parties, and I stopped drinking about 8 months ago (only had a 0.5% cider drink the other day, but I don't really count that :p:). You will find plenty of friends, I'm sure. Of course I'm the person that the bartender just hates now. :p: "Just tap water, please" They don't make any money off me more. :p:

However, I would be worried about flatmates that are always drunk. :colonhash: who knows what kind of people you're gonna get. I had the constant weed smoker and party person next door. But also someone very nice on the other side, so that balanced it out a little.
Reply 163
Original post by constantmeowage
Welcome! :smile:

Don't worry my friend, there's more to life then drinking and getting wasted. I've never had the urge to drink in my life and neither do the majority of my friends but we still manage to have a really good time. Besides, you can get non alcoholic beers which taste so much better I hear :colone:

But I'm sure at uni there will be tons of people who don't drink :wink:

This was posted from the Student Room's Android App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by KingMessi
Nobody I know bothered with a TV license in college, and to this day I don't know if that's because our college's TV license covers all of us or because they simply couldn't be bothered. Perhaps next year, in our house, we shall have to. I don't think many people here have TVs, but most people seem to watch some TV of some sort on their computers.

You have a solicitor? And yes, you may have to - we might need character references and the like to determine your continued membership here.

I suffer not from a lack of willpower but from a lack of time, which is infinitely more frustrating. I think it's more likely that your legs would thank you for taking steps to prevent their degeneration in later life. :yep: You could always take a bike to university? :holmes:

Indeed, that's what I've been told. To be honest, it'd be quite liberating, but being a somewhat keen sports follower, it would've been nice to see more things live that's not necessarily down the pub. :tongue:

Oh dear. My solicitor's not available for the moment, as he's having a cup of tea. I'll get back to you on that.

I was thinking about taking a bike actually, it would be quite nice to cycle about the campus. :smile: I just don't know whether it's likely it's going to be nicked or not, I do happen to like it quite a lot. :P Failing that, I'll just take the Wii Fit down and then shut the door when it measures me to find I'm obese. :L
Original post by Boqore
Don't worry my friend, there's more to life then drinking and getting wasted. I've never had the urge to drink in my life and neither do the majority of my friends but we still manage to have a really good time. Besides, you can get non alcoholic beers which taste so much better I hear :colone:

But I'm sure at uni there will be tons of people who don't drink :wink:

This was posted from the Student Room's Android App

I hope so! :smile: Just don't want to get there and everyone's already having pre drinks and they won't eat any sort of cake that doesn't have vodka flavoured icing. :frown: I shall persevere! :biggrin:
Original post by lilGem
I just preferred the modules- Sheff is whole organism whereas UEA covers more areas e.g. molecular/ genetics which is what I want to do at post grad :smile:

Yeah agreed Sheffield isn't very flexible that's why I'm thinking York my firm instead of Sheff and UEA my insurance, did Sheffield give you a low offer?
Reply 167
Original post by amholcroft
Yeah agreed Sheffield isn't very flexible that's why I'm thinking York my firm instead of Sheff and UEA my insurance, did Sheffield give you a low offer?

I got AAB from them (but they accept general) either way my offer for both is now essentially a B in biology :smile:

I would have loved to apply to York- one of my friends will be a fresher there this year- she's on a gap year at the moment :smile:
Reply 168
Hey, I'm not much of a drinker in the way that I have never been drunk, had a hangover..etc so I thought I would join in :P I am looking forward to studying psychology starting September! So excited but need to get these exams out of the way first :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiiii :biggrin:
Another non-drinker. Prospective pharmacist. Looking forward to uni badly. Hopefully i meet similar people offline.
Reply 170
Original post by Pink lipstick
Hiiii :biggrin:
Another non-drinker. Prospective pharmacist. Looking forward to uni badly. Hopefully i meet similar people offline.

I seriously cannot wait until I go to uni!!! It is unreal the amount anticipation I feel :O So you are definitely not alone there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 171
Original post by rawragee
I knooow :frown: my sister went at 17 as well, she said it wasn't too bad but she had enough and started using somebody else's ID at around January time because she got so bored :redface: we should be fine hopefully!

which university are you going to? :smile:

yeah i'm probably gonna end up doing the same! but what did she do during freshers week? :/

KCL is my firm, havent picked an insurance yet haha. youu? maybe we'll end up together
Interesting how we got a lot of sciency/mathsy people here haha :P
Original post by xxSherlockxx
Interesting how we got a lot of sciency/mathsy people here haha :P

Yes, that is interesting, but perhaps expected? A linguist did start this, though - and here is a lone English student. :woo:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yes, that is interesting, but perhaps expected? A linguist did start this, though - and here is a lone English student. :woo:

I'll be an English Student in September!

I think that is expected as we tend towards having more 9ams than everyone else. And having a 9am lecture on quantum mechanics with a blinding hangover probably isn't fun. It was bad enough with freshers flu...

We've a fair few linguists, though :smile: It must be that most English students need a pint after the insane workload...? :confused: :tongue:
haha I wish I were good with languages. Linguistics sounds really cool!
Reply 178
I am doing Maths, chemistry and psychology in school so fairly science based...but I shall be a psychology student in September :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
Future nursing student here... Have to say that seeing people with drink related problems has influenced my decision to only drink a little occasionally, plus I know that 12 hours shifts with a hangover would not be fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending