The Student Room Group

I love economics, I'm obsessed with economics, this is what I want to do but...

I was trolling you guys.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Politics is completely different from economics. If you wanna be an economist then you have no other option but to do economics.

I've just had a look on that UCL Politics moudles and the only economics moudles you do is a brief micro & macro. Which is like equivilent to AS economics. Unless you wanna go into a career like banking then getting into a good univeristy that doesn't require A-Levels maths is your best bet since being an economist isn't as competitive as getting into banking.
Reply 2
Original post by WannabeEconomist
Hello my name is Jack. My username states & thread title states it all but the problem is that I'm extraordinarily bad at Maths.

I got a C in my GCSE with a real struggle. Well indeed throughout high school I wasn't even doing my maths homework, I was often skipping lessons as well because I hated my set 3 class full of degenerates that bullied me.

I got A/A* English and other humanities as I'm a typical humanist and for my A level I did Law, Philosophy, Politics and History.

Throughout AS/A2 I had an Economic fetish of approaching everything as an Economist would do - for example always doing my history arguments focusing on an Economic aspect or Politics essays emphasizing on Economic factors. :redface: I fell in love.

However, I've never considered myself fit for Economics at university therefore applied for BA Politics to several institutions (most of which included Economic modules to be tempted to choose!)

Now I actually hold an offer from UCL for the following: Politics & East European Studies (LR27) http://www.ssees.ucl.ac.uk/bapees.htm

There are the Economic modules but "highly recommended that students taking this have A Level Maths"

Now, the reason tells me that I should avoid it as I might drop out within the first term from UCL.

My passion tells me I should go for it as this is the subject that I want to have an intellectual battle against for the ongoing 3 years. Get to understand the causes of things, be able to live like a free thinking individual! I'm actually thinking about reading some economics now, as I did yesterday, the day before that, and a year ago, as opposed to doing my history revision.

I Economics! I really do. My maths, in the meantime, is terrible. What would Economists recommend me to do: forget about it? Get to studying Maths/Economics on my own before the course starts? Any particular books/mathematical websites?

Thank you the great Economic minds of TSR!

Hi,

If you cannot do maths, then you can simply not do economics.

Have you considered PPE? It is one of the best courses available, and may suit you incredibly well.
Original post by Lunch_Box
Hi,

If you cannot do maths, then you can simply not do economics.

Have you considered PPE? It is one of the best courses available, and may suit you incredibly well.

Woah woah, slow down Mr Know It All, since when were you the messiah that could decide what subjects people can and can't do. I didn't pick A-Levels Maths and i'm studying economics at a RG uni later this year, there are many good unis that don't require you to have maths to do economics (even BSC)
Reply 4
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
Woah woah, slow down Mr Know It All, since when were you the messiah that could decide what subjects people can and can't do. I didn't pick A-Levels Maths and i'm studying economics at a RG uni later this year, there are many good unis that don't require you to have maths to do economics (even BSC)

I think he/she's talking about your physical ability to cope with advanced economics if you can't cope with basic maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was only saying

Oh I forgot to add.......................................... :smile:
Original post by InPiscinam
I think he/she's talking about your physical ability to cope with advanced economics if you can't cope with basic maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If a uni doesn't require you to have A-Level maths then they obviously expect GCSE maths knoledge then work upwards from there.

Original post by Stressed Eric
He was only saying

It was an incorrect reply though, OP obviously has an economics fetish and the guy was giving him **** advice

Original post by TheCount.
So gay

Lol it was slightly cheesy, but i think everyone goes through a phase when they realise they like economics then the feeling gradually gets weaker when it's exam season, mine was last summer
(edited 11 years ago)
I got a B at GCSE maths. I did struggle abit at University on a BSC but it was ok. It just takes you longer to work things out. Dont get me wrong its difficult but not impossible.
Original post by mathsman77
This sounds like it belongs in the relationship section of TSR :s-smilie:

With a username like your shouldn't be one to talk

Original post by Bill_Gates
I got a B at GCSE maths. I did struggle abit at University on a BSC but it was ok. It just takes you longer to work things out. Dont get me wrong its difficult but not impossible.

I got B maths too, what uni did u go?
Reply 9

... studying economics at a Russel Group University won't get you into Investment Banking, unfortunately. You need to be at the top 5. Even then it's a struggle.

Since when was the advice of a guy named 'CoolStoryBro' on an Internet forum valuable?
Hello my name is Jack. My username states & thread title states it all but the problem is that I'm extraordinarily bad at Maths.

I got a C in my GCSE with a real struggle. Well indeed throughout high school I wasn't even doing my maths homework, I was often skipping lessons as well because I hated my set 3 class full of degenerates that bullied me.

I got A/A* English and other humanities as I'm a typical humanist and for my A level I did Law, Philosophy, Politics and History.

Throughout AS/A2 I had an Economic fetish of approaching everything as an Economist would do - for example always doing my history arguments focusing on an Economic aspect or Politics essays emphasizing on Economic factors. :redface: I fell in love.

However, I've never considered myself fit for Economics at university therefore applied for BA Politics to several institutions (most of which included Economic modules to be tempted to choose!)

Now I actually hold an offer from UCL for the following: Politics & East European Studies (LR27) http://www.ssees.ucl.ac.uk/bapees.htm

There are the Economic modules but "highly recommended that students taking this have A Level Maths"

Now, the reason tells me that I should avoid it as I might drop out within the first term from UCL.

My passion tells me I should go for it as this is the subject that I want to have an intellectual battle against for the ongoing 3 years. Get to understand the causes of things, be able to live like a free thinking individual! I'm actually thinking about reading some economics now, as I did yesterday, the day before that, and a year ago, as opposed to doing my history revision.

I Economics! I really do. My maths, in the meantime, is terrible. What would Economists recommend me to do: forget about it? Get to studying Maths/Economics on my own before the course starts? Any particular books/mathematical websites?

What about going for a BA Economics course, rather than a BSc? More theory less mathematical application I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With a username like your shouldn't be one to talk

I got B maths too, what uni did u go?

Aston Uni had offers from Nottingham, Birmingham.

Just a bit of an anecdote:

My brother got a B in GCSE Maths, and did one module in Ecnomics at St Andrew's University. Needless to say, he failed because the maths was too hard.

Just go for the BA, be brutally honest with your self, will you be able to cope on a course with hardcore maths - with people who've taken F.Maths - and you only have a C at GCSE?
Reply 13
Original post by Alex-Torres
Just a bit of an anecdote:

My brother got a B in GCSE Maths, and did one module in Ecnomics at St Andrew's University. Needless to say, he failed because the maths was too hard.

Just go for the BA, be brutally honest with your self, will you be able to cope on a course with hardcore maths - with people who've taken F.Maths - and you only have a C at GCSE?

The maths in econ is not really that hard, the economics part of econ however is very hard
Reply 14

What about doing a BA in Economics ?
I happen to know someone doing economics at university and they actually got a U in AS maths, if the course isn't asking for an A level in maths then you should really be ok.
Reply 16

Be careful, many subject you enjoy at A levels may be completely different at university. In my experience Maths and Economics are one of them, my friends think so too. I got an A* in maths GCSE, A* in Maths A level, A in F. maths and A in Economics and when I took an econ module at university I ended up with a third! (EC102 at LSE LOL) I used to be just like you and was totally in love with economics, until I studied it at university.
Hey Jack. Ok so, i do A level Maths, Further Maths, Economics & Physics.
I'm not so sure about economics at university.
But honestly, there is hardly any maths at all involved in the a level, and when it does come up, it is just simple adding and subtracting, so i can't imagine it is THAT much different within the modules you are taking, especially as seen as it's not a pure economics course.
i'll say go for it! If it's what you want to do, don't let maths pull you back!

:smile:
I'd suggest looking for political economy degrees, or PPE if you prefer. You will struggle with the maths in a pure economics degree (not to say most won't take you on with a C and no maths A level). That's not to say that you can't deal with economic issues, however. Otherwise, you could try to see if you can get on to politics and economics joint honours on the understanding that you drop the economics if you can't handle it and switch to single honours in second year.

The UCL course is a really interesting one, by the way, if you decide to stick with it.
x

Noone is "terrible" at maths. All you have to do is practice and you will get better at it. Saying you are terrible is just an excuse for being lazy. Very few people manage to do well in maths without effort and practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending