The Student Room Group

A-Level maths for accounting+finance degree

Ive recently decided I want to do an degree in accounting and finance but im not currently taking maths.

(Im currently doing Accounting, Business, Economics and Combined English AS Levels)

90% of the degrees Ive looked at require A at A-Level maths and i'm not really sure what to do, I was thinking maybe take AS maths next year and explain the situation on my UCAS application? What do you think I should do?

ANY help would be appreciated..
Reply 1
Original post by Liammmmmm
Ive recently decided I want to do an degree in accounting and finance but im not currently taking maths.

(Im currently doing Accounting, Business, Economics and Combined English AS Levels)

90% of the degrees Ive looked at require A at A-Level maths and i'm not really sure what to do, I was thinking maybe take AS maths next year and explain the situation on my UCAS application? What do you think I should do?

Hi Liam,

The requirement is there because there will be a more mathematical and quantitative element to the course. Thus, you will need that ability to fully comprehend and excel on the course.

If you do an AS level in maths that will give you a reasonable understanding and increase your mathematical ability, which is what I completed. But, there was no A level mathematical requirement for my university and hence the quantitative elements are more limited.

Hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't a problem for my Uni, not much difficult maths on the course. Although not sure if more Uni's require it now than when I went (2009 entry).
When I was researching my choices for entry later this year there were only a few unis which required maths (Bristol, Warwick, Bath, Brunel, Cass off the top of my head).

I don't do maths, and I got 4 offers (withdrew my LSE application as they were taking so long and I didn't want to go there anyway).

The big 'you need a-level maths to be an accountant' myth is just that, a myth. You don't.

There are a lot of great unis which don't require maths for A&F, you'll be fine without it. :smile:

Actually most accounting and finance courses don't require maths a level I think only a few of the very top ones do.
Reply 5
Thank you very much for all your answers, I at least feel a more confident about applying to an accounting&finance degree at Uni. Im currently looking for Unis that do not require A Level maths (Lancaster is top of my choices atm), although i'm still looking into taking AS maths.
Thank you very much for all your answers, I at least feel a more confident about applying to an accounting&finance degree at Uni. Im currently looking for Unis that do not require A Level maths (Lancaster is top of my choices atm), although i'm still looking into taking AS maths.

Comsidering this was 5 years ago, how have you fkund the degree and do you have good job offers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending