The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chad_Bronson
Sorry, that's complete nonsense. Train companies, like bus companies, don't actually lose that much money in the grand scheme of things; because the vast majority of costumers do pay the correct fare. It's only the odd one or two that try to weasel their way out of paying the correct fare. Barely a dent in their million pound profits - and yet they have the cheek to raise the fares onto we consumers?

That's greediness of behalf of the companies to raise the fares. They use that to hide this fact.

I'm not defending how greedy they are. But it is not one or two -my dad alone catches an average of 30 a month. £200 million is the conservative estimate of how much money is lost per year through fare evasion.
Reply 41
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I'm not defending how greedy they are. But it is not one or two -my dad alone catches an average of 30 a month. £200 million is the conservative estimate of how much money is lost per year through fare evasion.

So an average of 1 a day???? Say this person should have paid £10 for this train ticket? That's £10 a day lost due to fare evasion.

How do they work it out at £200 million? £10 x 365 = £3650.

Not condoning fare evasion, but I can understand it tbh. And I do agree that train fares are extortionate.

Case in point, tonight, my Dad gets back to Coventry from Inverness. The train would have cost £150 return. He ended up flying for £165 return. Ok, it's cheaper, slightly, but takes 5-6 times the time to travel, so logically should be 5-6 times cheaper.
Original post by Sunshine showers
Obviously once you turn 16 you are classed as an adult and have to buy adult train tickets, which cost over twice as much. If you use trains regularly this really adds up. So when I turned 16 I just carried on buying child tickets and no one ever questioned me. Recently I have just turned 17 and I am still buying child train tickets. Even though I look significantly older than 15, I have still never been questioned.

So If I get caught, what is the worst that could happen? I think I am really pushing it now that I am 17 but I have still never been doubted when I buy the child ticket, or when the ticket checker checks it. If the consequences aren't that severe I will probably just carry on and see how long I can go.

Depends on whether you are happy to have a conviction for an offence of dishonesty on your record if caught ... and the 1000 GBP fine if it;s taken to court

The 'gaming' answer is to continue until you are caught once and get PFd / excessed - but that's just continuing to be dishonest

TOC and NR staff do have powers to detain and BTP will happily arrest people at the request of TOC / NR staff for fare related offences.
Original post by askew116
So an average of 1 a day???? Say this person should have paid £10 for this train ticket? That's £10 a day lost due to fare evasion.

Not condoning fare evasion, but I can understand it tbh. And I do agree that train fares are extortionate.

Case in point, tonight, my Dad gets back to Coventry from Inverness. The train would have cost £150 return. He ended up flying for £165 return. Ok, it's cheaper, slightly, but takes 5-6 times the time to travel, so logically should be 5-6 times cheaper.

No - my dad is one of the many employees they have. That's just how many he catches on average, on the route he is told to take. It doesn't cover every train the company runs, or every person.

Altogether, the estimate is 200 million. http://www.atoc.org/media-centre/latest-press-releases/excuses-please-200m-cost-of-fare-dodging-on-the-railways-figures-reveal-100621

I know they're expensive, but breaking the law isn't the answer. I understand why people do it, I'm just saying that it doesn't help in the long run.

that's one RPI and on the basis of those he catches not on the basis of the actual extent of fare evasion and fare fraud ...

as for the flying vs rail arguement - sorry that's utter rubbish and displays stunning naivety
Original post by Sunshine showers
Obviously once you turn 16 you are classed as an adult and have to buy adult train tickets, which cost over twice as much. If you use trains regularly this really adds up. So when I turned 16 I just carried on buying child tickets and no one ever questioned me. Recently I have just turned 17 and I am still buying child train tickets. Even though I look significantly older than 15, I have still never been questioned.

So If I get caught, what is the worst that could happen? I think I am really pushing it now that I am 17 but I have still never been doubted when I buy the child ticket, or when the ticket checker checks it. If the consequences aren't that severe I will probably just carry on and see how long I can go.

Not very much just a summons to attend court and up to a £1000 fine and 6 months in prison....which is cool :cool:
I think you might get a fine? They fine you for not travelling with a valid ticket, and if you'd lied about your age to get a ticket which you should not have been sold, it is not valid, surely?

But how much do they get back from raising the prices, to penalise everyone else? I can assure you, £200m compared to how much others are penalised for it is small change.

I don't condone fare dodgers - it's unfair and, if nothing else, immoral. But, by the logic of the company, we are paying for other people's wrongdoing. How, then, is that fair?

If someone nicks a can of Coke from a shop that I own, do I put the price of other Coke cans to subsidise it? Of course I don't - I write it off. A crackdown on fare evasion is fine, absolutely - but making others pay for it is utterly, and abhorrently wrong.
But how much do they get back from raising the prices, to penalise everyone else? I can assure you, £200m compared to how much others are penalised for it is small change.

I don't condone fare dodgers - it's unfair and, if nothing else, immoral. But, by the logic of the company, we are paying for other people's wrongdoing. How, then, is that fair?

If someone nicks a can of Coke from a shop that I own, do I put the price of other Coke cans to subsidise it? Of course I don't - I write it off. A crackdown on fare evasion is fine, absolutely - but making others pay for it is utterly, and abhorrently wrong.

I'm sorry, but that is the only way the company can afford to continue. Live with it, I'm afraid. It isn't fair, and it certainly isn't cheap, it's just realistic.

Also, of course they do. All shops, including big supermarkets, include the price of shoplifting and theft in whatever it is you're buying. They have to make sure they're not losing out.
Reply 49
Original post by zippyRN
that's one RPI and on the basis of those he catches not on the basis of the actual extent of fare evasion and fare fraud ...

as for the flying vs rail arguement - sorry that's utter rubbish and displays stunning naivety

care to explain why it's utter rubbish, rather than simply being insulting? the trains and airlines are really competitors on domestic routes - why shouldn't prices be comparable for comparable services?
Reply 50
I always pay the full adult fare (11 pounds a return ticket!) even though I look like I am 16 (I am 22). It is expensive, but I would feel bad acting dishonestly like that!
I remember doing this when I had just turned 16. It was fine for quite a while, until I remember a policeman approached me (I think it scans through as child on the machine or something?), and asked me my age. And even though I was only just over the age limit, it was clear I wasn't a child. I think he just kinda gave me that 'look', and said 'Make sure it doesn't happen again'. I think he probably could have pressed further with a fine etc. But because I was 'just a child', he didn't press on? I'm not sure

Looking back on it, not sure why it was a policeman not TFL people or railway people. But because it was a policeman, I started buying adult tickets afterwards. It was also pretty hard to start getting child tickets off people in the kiosks. But my argument was well reasoned; how can I prove I am under 16 unless I start carrying a passport around? And I obviously don't have any kind of ID etc. etc.
Reply 52
My Friend got clocked a month ago for using a child ticket and she's 17, she just had to pay a fine which increased according to how long she took to pay it
Reply 53
No - my dad is one of the many employees they have. That's just how many he catches on average, on the route he is told to take. It doesn't cover every train the company runs, or every person.

Altogether, the estimate is 200 million. http://www.atoc.org/media-centre/latest-press-releases/excuses-please-200m-cost-of-fare-dodging-on-the-railways-figures-reveal-100621

I know they're expensive, but breaking the law isn't the answer. I understand why people do it, I'm just saying that it doesn't help in the long run.

oops, my mistake
care to explain why it's utter rubbish, rather than simply being insulting? the trains and airlines are really competitors on domestic routes - why shouldn't prices be comparable for comparable services?

the prices are comparable , unlike the previous poster who thought that flights from the west Midlands to the highlands should be 6 times cheaper than going by rail as it only takes an hour to fly ...
I'm sorry, but that is the only way the company can afford to continue. Live with it, I'm afraid. It isn't fair, and it certainly isn't cheap, it's just realistic.

Please - Tell that to the millions of people all crying out for fairer price tickets.

Consumers don't mind at all paying the price for services - If they are fair. What we are seeing though is a deliberate, calculated lie of blaming fare dodgers as justification of putting the prices up - presumably to pay for the botched privatisation attempts in 2001. (I don't know train history - so that's just an assumption).

I do understand what you're saying, I appreciate how a company will raise the prices to cover it's losses - but there is absolutely no reason, other than profit and sheer greed, why train prices are so high. The fact is this is an ongoing argument that is backed by unions, who are saying that train drivers are being cut out of a fair deal and a slice of the profit pie.

If unions are on their back, you know something is wrong. This is partly about loss covering, and that's okay, a company is a company, their purpose is to make money - but to charge people through the nose for a train is an absolute disgrace. This has underhanded tactics; of making even more profit than what they have.

This is a management issue, fundamentally. If prices are going to go up, at least give us a better train service. The train service in Britain is appalling.

Also, of course they do. All shops, including big supermarkets, include the price of shoplifting and theft in whatever it is you're buying. They have to make sure they're not losing out.

Yeah - but they pay fines and may even be prosecuted for it. Enlighten me - If somebody pays £1000, like train companies threaten us with if we are caught, how many train fares, or people more specifically, does that cover?

100, if they're all charged a tenner a ticket. In other words, the losses they make are subsided by these fines and the profit they already have on train tickets. We consumers should not be penalised further for this, end of.

Dear God, give this man a medal. Possibly the only bit of sensible news I've read in this thread... :ahee:
Reply 57
Original post by zippyRN
the prices are comparable , unlike the previous poster who thought that flights from the west Midlands to the highlands should be 6 times cheaper than going by rail as it only takes an hour to fly ...

err, that previous poster was me :angry: and I was making a genuine point.

And the prices are not comparable for comparable services, it appears I have to highlight this for you to understand the point I was trying to make. The train is not a comparable service is it? It takes 5-6 times the time as going by air.

It'd be different if we had HS2, which would make the journey in around the same time but all we have is these old rusting trains which can't get above 70-80mph or so. Also, on many train journeys they are so cramped that it's standing room only, or even jamming into the train like sardines. So again I make the point that the train is not a comparable service to flying.
err, that previous poster was me :angry: and I was making a genuine point.

And the prices are not comparable for comparable services, it appears I have to highlight this for you to understand the point I was trying to make. The train is not a comparable service is it? It takes 5-6 times the time as going by air.

flying adds around an hour each end of the journey plus travel time to the airport

It'd be different if we had HS2, which would make the journey in around the same time but all we have is these old rusting trains which can't get above 70-80mph or so.

West Midlands to the Highlands?

local train to Birmingham ( potentially 75 mph stock ) although London Midland do have modern 100mph EMUs on some routes
VWC Pendolino to Glasgow or Edinburgh ( 125 mph stock ) or XC Voyager to Edinburgh (125 mph stock)
Scotrail cl 170 (100 mph ) or East Coast HST (125 mph stock ) to Inverness

none of which are particularly old ( although the class 15x) are approaching 30 and much of the HST fleet is basically 40 years old but has been re-engined and had substantial interior refurbishment) the 170, voyager family and Pendolino are all significantly under 20 years old

Also, on many train journeys they are so cramped that it's standing room only, or even jamming into the train like sardines. So again I make the point that the train is not a comparable service to flying.

and how many air routes offer multiple journies per hour ? yes XC has capacity issues, as the XC franchise has created greater demand that was seen when XC was infrequent HSTs or LHCS - unfortunately due to the way Bliar and Brown messed up the passenger railway there is no easy was for XC to get more stock other than the limited reintroduction of HSTs ( as BR ICXC HST stock was swallowed up by lengthening EC and MML diagrams , increased HST use on the GWML ) and there;s only so much LHCS mk 3s that can be rebuilt into HST compatible stock

For long distance travel in the UK rail beats scheduled air hands down ... unless of course you discount the time it takes to get in and out of the airport and the journey from the airport to the city centre/ end destination at both ends of the journey ... ( unless one end of your journey is from London City Airport and you work in Canary Wharf or along the DLR)
(edited 11 years ago)
Please - Tell that to the millions of people all crying out for fairer price tickets.

Consumers don't mind at all paying the price for services - If they are fair. What we are seeing though is a deliberate, calculated lie of blaming fare dodgers as justification of putting the prices up - presumably to pay for the botched privatisation attempts in 2001. (I don't know train history - so that's just an assumption).

I do understand what you're saying, I appreciate how a company will raise the prices to cover it's losses - but there is absolutely no reason, other than profit and sheer greed, why train prices are so high. The fact is this is an ongoing argument that is backed by unions, who are saying that train drivers are being cut out of a fair deal and a slice of the profit pie.

If unions are on their back, you know something is wrong. This is partly about loss covering, and that's okay, a company is a company, their purpose is to make money - but to charge people through the nose for a train is an absolute disgrace. This has underhanded tactics; of making even more profit than what they have.

This is a management issue, fundamentally. If prices are going to go up, at least give us a better train service. The train service in Britain is appalling.

Yeah - but they pay fines and may even be prosecuted for it. Enlighten me - If somebody pays £1000, like train companies threaten us with if we are caught, how many train fares, or people more specifically, does that cover?

100, if they're all charged a tenner a ticket. In other words, the losses they make are subsided by these fines and the profit they already have on train tickets. We consumers should not be penalised further for this, end of.

I'll never say that train tickets are cheap, or that the service is good. It isn't. All I was pointing out was that dodging fares doesn't actually help the situation.

Also, that £1000 pounds - and believe me, most people who ARE caught, don't pay anywhere near that - also has to cover the additional time and expense it has cost the company to prosecute the case and deal with the case correspondance etc. I'm still not saying it's right, it's simply the way it is.

Latest