The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Should I decline based on living costs?

Everybody tells me how expensive living in London is, and I am aware of this.

however, so many students from a broad spectrum of backgrounds go to ucl and so i would just like an insight into just how dear it is to live in london.

i know it will be difficult for a student to live anywhere on there own, is this difficulty increased when living in london? Obviously things are dearer, but my way of seeing it is that loans from UCL will be bigger as will grants and there will be more job opportunities?

could anybody who goes to UCL (especially someone from a not-so-well-off background) give me any insight? thanks.
Reply 1
Don't forget the maintenance loan for London students is higher than for the rest of the country, so as long as you're smart with your money you shouldn't be that much worse off.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
It's fine. Don't reject UCL based on living costs, plenty of people get by. People make it sound like it's impossible to live in London, that's obviously not true.
Agree. Cook yourself and skip the expensive lattes and you'll be fine :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DopeSk1llz
Everybody tells me how expensive living in London is, and I am aware of this.

however, so many students from a broad spectrum of backgrounds go to ucl and so i would just like an insight into just how dear it is to live in london.

i know it will be difficult for a student to live anywhere on there own, is this difficulty increased when living in london? Obviously things are dearer, but my way of seeing it is that loans from UCL will be bigger as will grants and there will be more job opportunities?

could anybody who goes to UCL (especially someone from a not-so-well-off background) give me any insight? thanks.

I have found that living in central London is dear, however, there are far more chances to get a job, my ex is still really struggling to find a job in Loughborough whereas I already had a job lined up before i went to London, also there are more chances for work such as recruitment agencies and working at events which is very flexible hours.

I think so long as you are aware of the costs you cant go wrong, besides, if you can't afford to move out of halls you dont have to, just move to different ones, thats the beauty of intercollegiate!

I have to say that it is worth every penny!!! I would never say to anyone to give up on London due to costs, the experience is so much better, so much more special, and when are you realistically going to be able to live in central London again?!
Original post by DopeSk1llz

Well I have been at UCL for three years (almost) and I have had to work part time and budget to ensure ends meet.

To be honest the big killers are the rent prices and the drink prices. As long as you keep your head everything else can be found for standard prices (groceries morrisons, tesco etc).

The opportunities are higher than most places, it's great when you get summer work in London and don't have to move. But also you've got the city and can just pop along to insight days whenever you get the chance.

I would also have to say it has been great fun and I wouldn't change it for the world. As long as you have good budgetting and can manage your finances you will be fine.
Reply 6
I'm going to invade the thread (sorry!) because my question apparently gets lost in the "ask a current student" thread.

Do you people already living in london think it would be impossible without the maintenance help?

I'm a EU student, so I only get help with tuition. My parents agreed to fund my accommodation and they made huge sacrifices to do so, so they can't cover the whole cost, if it's over roughly £5000. (the very minimum at ucl, I think).
So I should help with those costs and pay for my everyday life with my savings and, hopefully, part-time job.
Is it doable?

I'm so scared of not enjoying london for being pressed for money, and also of not being able to focus on my studies because I have to work.
That's what scares me the most and why I'm thinking of going to Durham, where life will be more "confortable" but less exciting.
I'd love any input! :smile:
Original post by laStrada
I'm going to invade the thread (sorry!) because my question apparently gets lost in the "ask a current student" thread.

Do you people already living in london think it would be impossible without the maintenance help?

I'm a EU student, so I only get help with tuition. My parents agreed to fund my accommodation and they made huge sacrifices to do so, so they can't cover the whole cost, if it's over roughly £5000. (the very minimum at ucl, I think).
So I should help with those costs and pay for my everyday life with my savings and, hopefully, part-time job.
Is it doable?

I'm so scared of not enjoying london for being pressed for money, and also of not being able to focus on my studies because I have to work.
That's what scares me the most and why I'm thinking of going to Durham, where life will be more "confortable" but less exciting.
I'd love any input! :smile:

So you're asking if you can pay for your living from your own money costs excluding accommodation?

I would say you'll be comfortable with about £60-70 per week as long as you're sensible, so multiply that by around 40 weeks (term time) and that's £2400-2800. You should be able to work out from there if you can afford it. If you worked all summer, you could make that much in a few months. Aim to have at least £3000 so this will include extra costs you may face at the beginning of the year and backup money etc. But otherwise, you can even make £30-40 a week from working a few hours at UCL if you need to, they pay £8.55 per hour (london living wage), so you'll be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Waterstorm
So you're asking if you can pay for your living from your own money costs excluding accommodation?

I would say you'll be comfortable with about £60-70 per week as long as you're sensible, so multiply that by around 40 weeks (term time) and that's £2400-2800. You should be able to work out from there if you can afford it. If you worked all summer, you could make that much in a few months. Aim to have around £3000 so this will include extra costs you may face at the beginning of the year and backup money etc. But otherwise, you can even make £30-40 a week from working a few hours at UCL if you need to, they pay £8.55 per hour (london living wage), so you'll be fine.

Thank you, this reassured me.
London living is made out to be this gigantic, evil beast :tongue:
Unfortunately, jobs are non existant and pay very badly where I am in Italy, so I'm thinking about moving somewhere for the summer and work my butt off.
I'm partly reassured by the fact that job opportunities are apparently plentiful in London.

Can you really live in halls after first year?
Original post by laStrada
Thank you, this reassured me.
London living is made out to be this gigantic, evil beast :tongue:
Unfortunately, jobs are non existant and pay very badly where I am in Italy, so I'm thinking about moving somewhere for the summer and work my butt off.
I'm partly reassured by the fact that job opportunities are apparently plentiful in London.

Can you really live in halls after first year?

You can live in UCL halls, but you're not guaranteed. If you applied for intercollegiate halls, you have a pretty good chance as they reserve places I think for returning students - but only if you were in intercollegiate halls previously (if that makes sense!), however there're more expensive. Although, I was in halls like 3 years ago - so I'm not sure how much things have changed.

Otherwise flat prices are around £140-150 per week, depending on how central you live.

And yeah, there's a good chance you'll find a part-time job if you're looking for one in london.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending