The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eggfriedrice
Well there's a reason why all the "clever " people in my school are doing A levels and the "less academically able" are doing BTECS...

Well, I'm doing one a level (chem) and BTEC (app.sci) so am I as you're trying to indicate unintelligent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me, I'd regard them with less worth because I wanted to do something more academic.
However, for someone that wanted to go into a particular trade, I'd say they had a lot more worth.
BTECs and A-Levels are suited to different people, my friend dropped out after AS because he was failing and is now predicted top grades in his BTEC.
They merit of either depends on the route that person wants to go.
Reply 22
Btec are totally different, if your applying to uni they will give the person with the A-level more of a chance of getting a place on the course. They are Soo easy compared to a level I know this because I done one in the first year of college, pretty easy to get a dIstiction,
Reply 23
Original post by sufiaan saeed
im sooooo confused and stressed
i chose to do BTEC APPLIED SCIENCE over A-level sciences
the BTEC is soooo easy, im getting distinctions in all ive done so far and im not really learning anything
i just want to know will university be a struggle for me as i want to do physiotherapy
some help would be great thx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done this diploma before, you do have a chance of getting interviews but there is too much competition out there for these nhs funded courses and they give the a level students with higher grades more of a chance.
Reply 24
Yeah...most people have no clue what they're on about in this thread, save the few who do. :biggrin:

Having done A-levels and a BTEC simultaneously I'm fairly confident I can shed some light into their relative worth. An important factor regarding the worth of a full extended BTEC is the area of study; if you are an art student they can actually be very beneficial, even more so then their A-level counterpart, which is why even Oxbridge will consider them for certain courses within the arts. For more traditional subjects within humanities and science they are not in the same league, not even close. BTECs were never intended to be an immediate alternative to these traditional subjects, they were always meant to teach vocational subjects.

Having said that, most people who take a BTEC are less academically gifted than those taking A-levels, this isn't universal but fairly accurate for the majority.

The BTEC is not inherently worse, in fact it could be more rigorous than A-levels if taught properly. The vocational aspect and overall structure offers more freedom than the A-levels and can allow teachers to teach certain areas much more thoroughly. Unfortunately this requires an amazing team of teachers, support and students who can cope with the material, and since most pupils undertaking BTECs are underachievers this isn't happening.

Original post by chappers-94
No way in hell, you'll be able to go to a decent university, don't try for the elite (top 15-20) so avoid anything above UEA, unless you have A levels too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't true, take your misconceptions with you on your way out, thanks!

I've been with bright pupils on the BTEC who excelled and got offered places within the russell group e.g. notts, sheffield, despite not having done any additional A-levels.

You are however at a slight disadvantage for some courses. The BTEC is only worth 3 A-levels so to be on par with A-level students you really should be taking one A-level, preferably in a subject that compliments what you'll be studying on the BTEC. For example, as an engineering applicant you would need an A-level in maths to complement your BTEC in engineering/science.

Conclusion: They're worth the same in terms of UCAS points and the majority of universities will accept you provided you have decent grades. Almost all universities will accept you with an additional (relevant) A-level bar a select few (about 4 I think).

How well they prepare you for a specific subject is entirely dependent on your private study and the quality of the establishment were you study.
Well, I'm doing one a level (chem) and BTEC (app.sci) so am I as you're trying to indicate unintelligent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I don't believe you're unintelligent, but to bluntly put it- you could do better. I'm assuming app science is applied science? Why did you not chose to do biology and physics?
Btecs and A-levels are completely different. One of my friends is doing Btecs and is predicted DMM and says this is apparently equivalent to BBB at A-level (not sure how that works but that's what he said)... As much as I like my mate, he is really not gifted in the brain department, lovely guy, but brain wise... nada. So to say that D*D*D* = A*A*A* irritates me tbh.
Reply 27
No way in hell, you'll be able to go to a decent university, don't try for the elite (top 15-20) so avoid anything above UEA, unless you have A levels too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This comment lacks sense tbh
They teach different skills, do they not? What exactly is the criteria we are supposed to be judging this by?
Reply 29
Original post by sabian92
They're the same.... No arguing about it really. Both are difficult just in their own ways - those who say BTECs are the "easy way out" are tossers who've blatantly never done one.

Edit: Negged by the A-level snobs. Come at me examfags.

That is the point, how the hell could they be equivalent when they are two completely different things?
Reply 30

Posted from TSR Mobile

And yet 4 of my classmates out of 20 are going to Russell Group universities who are doing BTEC Business. 1 is going to Southampton, 2 are going to Kings College and the other is going to Nottingham.
Original post by eggfriedrice
Nope, I don't believe you're unintelligent, but to bluntly put it- you could do better. I'm assuming app science is applied science? Why did you not chose to do biology and physics?

I don't actually know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Muppet Science
Btecs and A-levels are completely different. One of my friends is doing Btecs and is predicted DMM and says this is apparently equivalent to BBB at A-level (not sure how that works but that's what he said)... As much as I like my mate, he is really not gifted in the brain department, lovely guy, but brain wise... nada. So to say that D*D*D* = A*A*A* irritates me tbh.

In terms of how a university would probably look at it I'd say about equivalent to about BCC. And the gap between BTEC and A levels is noticeable, I'd say a D* grades are probably AAB-ABB in A-level, I'd know as I'm doing BTEC and A-levels so it feels about B grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by lolface32
That is the point, how the hell could they be equivalent when they are two completely different things?

Equivalent in that they're both level 3 qualifications. Just because they're not matched in their academic levels doesn't mean they aren't worth the same.

Like I said, A-levels are for academics, BTECs are for practical people. My brother does A Levels, I do a BTEC. He isn't more intelligent than me, he's just more academic.

I have a learning difficultly too (dyspraxia) and a BTEC appeals to how my brain works better anyway. I'm crap with exams (same reason I picked a degree with hardly any exams in it). The unis I applied to (Liverpool John Moores, Manchester Met and Birmingham City) had no issue with my BTEC. I got 4 offers - the one that rejected me (BCU) only rejected me because I don't have GCSE English/Maths at Grade C as I'm currently resitting.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by alexh42
And yet 4 of my classmates out of 20 are going to Russell Group universities who are doing BTEC Business. 1 is going to Southampton, 2 are going to Kings College and the other is going to Nottingham.

Those universities aren't in the top 20 for those subjects though. If you said Southampton for engineering/ sciences, I'd have been impressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
One is mainly exams and essay's.
The other is mainly practical.

They can't really be compared, I did a BTEC and A levels, the BTEC was very easily completed 2 years worth of work in 2 months, but that's because I did mine in music and music production which I know for a fact I physically could not have done and A level in.

Still managed a mix of A's B's and C's in Physics and Math's modules.
Reply 36
Those universities aren't in the top 20 for those subjects though. If you said Southampton for engineering/ sciences, I'd have been impressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either way, the course he got an offer for, Accounting and Finance, required AAB at A-Level. This shows even courses which need high A Levels do accept BTEC students.
Reply 37

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kings College is ranked 8th for business and Nottingham is ranked 13th.
Reply 38
Original post by sabian92
They're the same.... No arguing about it really. Both are difficult just in their own ways - those who say BTECs are the "easy way out" are tossers who've blatantly never done one.

Edit: Negged by the A-level snobs. Come at me examfags.

I did Level 3 Business Studies and got a Distinction in year 11. I wouldn't have been able to do that with the actual A-Level Business qualification. And don't call people 'A-Level snobs' for pointing out the fact that you actually have to work hard and learn the information for exams in A-Level, not just re-write a textbook/website.
Reply 39
BTECs and A-Levels are completely different qualifications, no doubt whatsoever. Likewise, they are both important for different groups of people.

What irks me, and a lot of other A-Level students, is when BTEC students try to argue the case that it is equally rigorous. Frankly, it isn't.

Latest

Trending

Trending