The Student Room Group

How to do well in A Level languages?

Hey everyone, so i am a sixth form student sitting my AS exams in may/june :colondollar: I have my french presentation and oral coming up next month and then obviously the writing, reading and listening. I reaaaaallllly want to do well in French as i'm hoping to take it on to A2. Does anyone have any exam techniques or tips on how you can succeed at a language?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
If French AS is anything like the Spanish one then in the writing its all about content, not many marks for grammar etc... So read a few mark schemes and see all the content they ask for.
hope this helps
I do AS French and Spanish my top tips for the writing section is include lots of examples so you can get a good content mark
Original post by afcnew14
If French AS is anything like the Spanish one then in the writing its all about content, not many marks for grammar etc... So read a few mark schemes and see all the content they ask for.
hope this helps

Hmmm... that depends very much on the exam board.

If you're really serious about going on with French at A2 then you should make sure you get to grips with the grammar. Start with revising your verbs - your conjugation needs to be pretty faultless and, at AS, you should demonstrate that you are able to use the following tenses and moods: present, passé composé, imperfect, pluperfect, future (as in je ferai; not je vais faire), conditional, present subjunctive, imperative. At A2 you add the following to that list: future perfect, conditional perfect and perfect subjunctive. However good your content might seem, if you don't know your verbs you will not be able to communicate your ideas effectively!
Spend a little time each day speaking French to yourself, that's what I did.

Just speak about what you can see around you perhaps. If there are objects you don't know in French, look them up.

Or talk about your plans for the week and do the same thing. Good way of learning new verbs.

I got a D in my written exam but an A overall at A-level, so the oral must have gone well. Follow my advice :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by afcnew14
hope this helps

Original post by dtin
I do AS French and Spanish my top tips for the writing section is include lots of examples so you can get a good content mark

How do you get a good content mark? I find it difficult trying to find things to say and I do both french and spanish too, do you find that it is quite confusing between them?
Original post by L1000
How do you get a good content mark? I find it difficult trying to find things to say and I do both french and spanish too, do you find that it is quite confusing between them?

I do AQA AS and i would recommend doing 3/4 points on each side of the argument and for every point you make you should think of an example to back it up with. You may find you have enough time to write more than 4 ideas for each argument but i find that i can't because i'm a slow writer.
I used to get mediocre/bad marks in french essays but i learned these ways and i got much higher marks in later ones. In spanish I started ok but when i learned these techniques i got really good so I would say it works.

and yes I do get confused sometimes
Reply 7
Original post by dtin
I do AQA AS and i would recommend doing 3/4 points on each side of the argument and for every point you make you should think of an example to back it up with. You may find you have enough time to write more than 4 ideas for each argument but i find that i can't because i'm a slow writer.
I used to get mediocre/bad marks in french essays but i learned these ways and i got much higher marks in later ones. In spanish I started ok but when i learned these techniques i got really good so I would say it works.

and yes I do get confused sometimes

I do the same board, how are you revising for both? I've sort of written out points for each topic and things, but finding it quite hard to learn all of them and getting confused between the two languages. Are you practicing writing essays for each topics? or just topic vocab in general?

With the examples to back it up with, doesn't it get repetitive saying par exemple or por ejemplo all the time?

thanks so much for your advice :smile:
Original post by L1000
I do the same board, how are you revising for both? I've sort of written out points for each topic and things, but finding it quite hard to learn all of them and getting confused between the two languages. Are you practicing writing essays for each topics? or just topic vocab in general?

With the examples to back it up with, doesn't it get repetitive saying par exemple or por ejemplo all the time?

thanks so much for your advice :smile:

in my experience you can still get a high mark by saying par exemple/por ejemplo all the time but you can try to fit in something like comme in french or como or tal como in spanish
for practice im just looking at potential essay QS and doing plans for them
Reply 9
Original post by dtin
in my experience you can still get a high mark by saying par exemple/por ejemplo all the time but you can try to fit in something like comme in french or como or tal como in spanish
for practice im just looking at potential essay QS and doing plans for them

So do you think the best thing to do is just revise content, remembering what to say for the topics, and using like specific vocabulary to each topic?

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea, good luck :smile:
Original post by L1000
So do you think the best thing to do is just revise content, remembering what to say for the topics, and using like specific vocabulary to each topic?

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea, good luck :smile:

I would say the best way is to revise as many points for each topic as you can and as much topic vocab as you can you dont need to remember every word just the vocab you think will be the most useful in the essays.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by dtin
I would say the best way is to revise as many points for each topic as you can and as much topic vocab as you can you dont need to remember every bit of word just the vocab you think will be the most useful in the essays.

What about for the oral? (Sorry for so many questions :colondollar: )
Original post by L1000
What about for the oral? (Sorry for so many questions :colondollar: )

do the same for the oral as the essays (examples, topic vocab) and again you don't need to remember every bit of vocab just the vocab you think you can get in easily
I got a strong A at AS-level, and am aiming for the A* this year - here are my tips on how to succeed in Maths, Economics and Languages at A-level http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1972086

Nobody can tell you precisely what you need to do, though, as whereas I might tell one student to learn grammar, another might be talented enough to pick it all up anyway, in which case they should focus on vocabulary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending