The Student Room Group

How do these A-Levels sound?

I'm going to be doing my A-Levels in September and need to have quite a set decision by next week. At the moment I know I definitely want to do English Literature, Geography and Biology. I'm not the best at Maths but got an A in a GCSE calculator paper, so I was also thinking about Chemistry as I know it contains quite a great deal of Maths but I'm quite good at the actual subject even though I'm aware it gets a lot more difficult at A Level. I was also thinking about History but wanted to keep my options open with Sciences and didn't want too many humanities, if you know what I mean? I want to either do Law or something which may require science in uni but I'm obviously not set on that yet, so what do you think? Anybody who has done Chemistry please let me the know the reality of it because I am really hesitant about it, and whether my choices sound okay! Thanks to anyone who replies:-)
Original post by kmarieox
I'm going to be doing my A-Levels in September and need to have quite a set decision by next week. At the moment I know I definitely want to do English Literature, Geography and Biology. I'm not the best at Maths but got an A in a GCSE calculator paper, so I was also thinking about Chemistry as I know it contains quite a great deal of Maths but I'm quite good at the actual subject even though I'm aware it gets a lot more difficult at A Level. I was also thinking about History but wanted to keep my options open with Sciences and didn't want too many humanities, if you know what I mean? I want to either do Law or something which may require science in uni but I'm obviously not set on that yet, so what do you think? Anybody who has done Chemistry please let me the know the reality of it because I am really hesitant about it, and whether my choices sound okay! Thanks to anyone who replies:-)

I very highly doubt that law at university will require you to do a science - and even so you're taking biology already. I would take History or Politics if possible, as they are essay based subjects and they might have some elements of law in them (e.g. Edexcel politics unit 2 has a section on the constitution and its laws).
Nice subjects, if you want to do law History is the thing to have though. Not saying it is essential but it is certainly a bonus. Maybe swap for Geography?
Reply 3
Original post by MalteseMalteser
I very highly doubt that law at university will require you to do a science - and even so you're taking biology already. I would take History or Politics if possible, as they are essay based subjects and they might have some elements of law in them (e.g. Edexcel politics unit 2 has a section on the constitution and its laws).

I meant that perhaps I'd do something which could require 2 sciences at uni because i'm not too sure yet! But yeah that seems like a good idea, I get the same grades in both but I do understand History better than Chemistry and my sixth form doesn't offer politics sadly! Thanks for the help:-)
Reply 4

A level chemistry is quite a bit harder than a level maths, but choosing either will not limit your options as to what you want to study (unless its medicine then you have to take chem). I've noticed that a lot of people over exaggerate the difficulty of A level chemistry- at AS it is very manageable. A level maths should be fine with an A grade at GCSE maths if you do the required revision for it, I.e. past papers
Reply 5
Original post by Historicity
Nice subjects, if you want to do law History is the thing to have though. Not saying it is essential but it is certainly a bonus. Maybe swap for Geography?

Yeah I've heard that History is one of the ones they prefer over a lot of things, that and English Lit isn't it? I really enjoy Geography so I think I'd just add it on as a 4th subject and then drop whichever one I find most difficult at the end of Year 13, sound good?
I do chemistry.

I would really recommend it but only if you're going to stay committed to it and actually enjoy it because it is a lot of work and understanding. I think its great, but I am a sciencey person (I do biology and maths too).

It's not impossible, just you have to be good at chemistry and like the subject. I wouldn't do it if you got less than an A at gcse, because you'd struggle. High B and above, you'll be fine (depending on what you want at A level) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Lunch_Box
A level chemistry is quite a bit harder than a level maths, but choosing either will not limit your options as to what you want to study (unless its medicine then you have to take chem). I've noticed that a lot of people over exaggerate the difficulty of A level chemistry- at AS it is very manageable. A level maths should be fine with an A grade at GCSE maths if you do the required revision for it, I.e. past papers

I'd definitely not take Maths as I hate the subject but i find Chemistry quite interesting as long as I could keep up with the Maths! So if you're quite good at GCSE you should be okay at A Level yes? I had just heard so much about Chem and how difficult it was and it scared me off! Thank you:-)
Reply 8
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
I do chemistry.

I would really recommend it but only if you're going to stay committed to it and actually enjoy it because it is a lot of work and understanding. I think its great, but I am a sciencey person (I do biology and maths too).

It's not impossible, just you have to be good at chemistry and like the subject. I wouldn't do it if you got less than an A at gcse, because you'd struggle. High B and above, you'll be fine (depending on what you want at A level) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do enjoy the subject and I do find it one of the most interesting subjects, it's so weird because I just don't get the concept of Maths whatsoever but then with Science related maths I seem to be okay? I'm on target for an A so I'm definitely considering it, thank you!!
Yeah I've heard that History is one of the ones they prefer over a lot of things, that and English Lit isn't it? I really enjoy Geography so I think I'd just add it on as a 4th subject and then drop whichever one I find most difficult at the end of Year 13, sound good?

Yes English Lit is also really liked. Sounds good to me. If people question your science it honestly isn't too much of an issue because it merely just shows a broad subject range so it's not a problem.

(By the end of year 13 you might know exactly what you want to do anyway.)
Hey there. I'm studying Law at university at the moment and took Chemistry A-level. A lot of people recommend essay subjects for taking Law but honestly the subjects that best prepared me were Maths and Chemistry. The level of complex understanding of certain concepts and applying these is the basis of problem questions which you will probably write more of than actual essays.

I did Maths, Chemistry and History, with English Lit at AS. You don't need History at A-level for Law - as long as you're used to writing essays (as with English Lit) then you don't need more than one. I always say on balance Law is more comparable to a science A-level than an arts (especially topics like Contract and Land - they're a bit like algebra!), but then that's just my opinion and I only have experience at one university!

EDIT: Also with regards to difficulty - yes Chemistry was my hardest A-level, but it's nothing compared to a Law degree so I recommend going for it and pushing yourself further before you get there!
(edited 11 years ago)
I do enjoy the subject and I do find it one of the most interesting subjects, it's so weird because I just don't get the concept of Maths whatsoever but then with Science related maths I seem to be okay? I'm on target for an A so I'm definitely considering it, thank you!!

In that case I'd say take chemistry. The maths involved is very basic and only revolves around knowing a few formulae and manipulating them to your needs.

However, I never liked maths at GCSE, but at A level I find it much more rewarding.

Quick Reply

Latest