The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Louis.
Increasingly i've been won over by the idea of Rooney at CM, he has everything needed to play there and if we had the goalscorers ahead of him then it could work incredibly.

Like?

He doesn't have the first touch or the passing to pull it off. Take Swansea for example, his passing was that bad he was taken off. People see him pull off a Hollywood pass ala against City in the Carling Cup semi in 2010 and then trick themselves into thinking he's some football genius who can ping passes left, right and centre, this is not the case. This idea that he can play the Scholes role is laughable.

You hear people say "But he runs himself into the ground and works his socks off". Really? His fitness is awful and he isn't pacy either, physically I would say Rooney is actually quite poor (strong though.)

He's inconsistent, he lacks motivation and he will only get worse physically from now. He's a formerly hyped up hot prospect who has failed to fulfill his potential. He's a good player (not an elite one) but he's peaked. Man. United would be smart to cash in and get a big sum of money for him while they still can.
Reply 2581
Original post by Wilfred Little
Like?

He doesn't have the first touch or the passing to pull it off. Take Swansea for example, his passing was that bad he was taken off. People see him pull off a Hollywood pass ala against City in the Carling Cup semi in 2010 and then trick themselves into thinking he's some football genius who can ping passes left, right and centre, this is not the case. This idea that he can play the Scholes role is laughable.

You hear people say "But he runs himself into the ground and works his socks off". Really? His fitness is awful and he isn't pacy either, physically I would say Rooney is actually quite poor (strong though.)

He's inconsistent, he lacks motivation and he will only get worse physically from now. He's a formerly hyped up hot prospect who has failed to fulfill his potential. He's a good player (not an elite one) but he's peaked. Man. United would be smart to cash in and get a big sum of money for him while they still can.

At his best...

Great vision and awareness of the space around him, a good passing technique, the mentality to battle all game, fantastic tactical discipline, the ability to keep running all match, the physicality to impose himself and break up play, the ability to score goals. I'd say he could be a pretty complete central midfielder. Obviously he couldn't play how Scholes does, no English player can get close, but as an all round central midfielder (and, incidentally, a great partner for Carrick) he definitely has the potential.

Why do you say his fitness is awful?

You're right to say he has the odd shocker in him, you mention Swansea, I remember Newcastle away last year, and i'm sure there are others. His first touch goes completely awol and that leads to the rest of his technical game falling away too. Thing is that's very rare and it'll happen wherever he plays. He has had a fairly good season despite injuries and positional changes, and his usual level of play is good enough to play in midfield. If his first touch and passing is so woeful he wouldn't be playing in the role just off RVP where he has played a lot of football this season.
Original post by Louis.
At his best...

Great vision and awareness of the space around him, a good passing technique, the mentality to battle all game, fantastic tactical discipline, the ability to keep running all match, the physicality to impose himself and break up play, the ability to score goals. I'd say he could be a pretty complete central midfielder. Obviously he couldn't play how Scholes does, no English player can get close, but as an all round central midfielder (and, incidentally, a great partner for Carrick) he definitely has the potential.

I won't refute every single point you made because I've already touched upon a few previously but this particular bit isn't true. How many times has he been dropped now against scouse teams for whatever reason? How many poor tournaments has he had for England? How many really high stakes games has he actually performed in? He's a mentally weak player. The polar opposite of someone like Ronaldo who thrives under pressure. Rooney can't handle it.

Why do you say his fitness is awful?

Because if he misses just one or two games it takes him a few to get up to speed again despite having only being out for a short period. Ferguson himself has acknowledged this so it's not just me being an ABU. His lifestyle choices aren't the best either (he smokes and you see him out on the piss a fair bit, he and Gibson were fined by the club the Christmas before last I think for getting pissed before a game and being unable to train), I just generally don't get the impression he cares all that much for his fitness. Again someone like Ronaldo puts extra work in in the gym and it shows because he's a tremendous athlete.

Rooney's talent looked awesome as a teenager because his body matured freakishly early and he also had that bullish tenacity and drive that seems to have disappeared from his game now for whatever reason. I genuinely believe he peaked physically at the age of about 21-22.

You're right to say he has the odd shocker in him, you mention Swansea, I remember Newcastle away last year, and i'm sure there are others. His first touch goes completely awol and that leads to the rest of his technical game falling away too. Thing is that's very rare and it'll happen wherever he plays. He has had a fairly good season despite injuries and positional changes, and his usual level of play is good enough to play in midfield. If his first touch and passing is so woeful he wouldn't be playing in the role just off RVP where he has played a lot of football this season.

It's not rare, it's been like this since 2010 and his no show at the World Cup. His first touch hasn't been the same since then. Personally I think all the lines trotted out like "he can play anywhere, he's the heart of the team, brings something extra" are all just trying to detract from the fact that he hasn't fulfilled his potential. His 2009/10 form was what he should be doing regularly, no excuses now. I think he will burn out within the next couple of years and finish his career like Gazza, a shadow of his former self.

He is a good player, but very inconsistent and doesn't have the required skill set to play in midfield.
Reply 2583
Original post by Wilfred Little
I won't refute every single point you made because I've already touched upon a few previously but this particular bit isn't true. How many times has he been dropped now against scouse teams for whatever reason? How many poor tournaments has he had for England? How many really high stakes games has he actually performed in? He's a mentally weak player. The polar opposite of someone like Ronaldo who thrives under pressure. Rooney can't handle it.

Level of performance does not equal mentality, the point I was making is that when he's on the pitch he's always fully committed and that applies even when his technique is letting him down. I agree that he doesn't enjoy being the star of the show though, or at least he doesn't like the attention that goes with it. If anything that makes him more suited to a midfield role though.

Because if he misses just one or two games it takes him a few to get up to speed again despite having only being out for a short period. Ferguson himself has acknowledged this so it's not just me being an ABU. His lifestyle choices aren't the best either (he smokes and you see him out on the piss a fair bit, he and Gibson were fined by the club the Christmas before last I think for getting pissed before a game and being unable to train), I just generally don't get the impression he cares all that much for his fitness. Again someone like Ronaldo puts extra work in in the gym and it shows because he's a tremendous athlete.

Agree with about all of that. He definitely struggles to come back from injuries, a bit like Vidic, but once he get a run in the side I don't think there's anything wrong with his fitness. He almost certainly could be fitter but when he's in the side for 3+ games he's able to keep moving all match, on and off the ball. We've seen with Cleverley how valuable that is.

Criticisms of his fitness apply to him playing as a no.10 and as a midfielder, they're not specific to the latter.

Rooney's talent looked awesome as a teenager because his body matured freakishly early and he also had that bullish tenacity and drive that seems to have disappeared from his game now for whatever reason. I genuinely believe he peaked physically at the age of about 21-22.

It's not rare, it's been like this since 2010 and his no show at the World Cup. His first touch hasn't been the same since then. Personally I think all the lines trotted out like "he can play anywhere, he's the heart of the team, brings something extra" are all just trying to detract from the fact that he hasn't fulfilled his potential. His 2009/10 form was what he should be doing regularly, no excuses now. I think he will burn out within the next couple of years and finish his career like Gazza, a shadow of his former self.

He is a good player, but very inconsistent and doesn't have the required skill set to play in midfield.

He didn't become the player he could have been because we didn't give him the freedom he needed to do so. We prioritised Ronaldo's development over his and who can blame us?

He wasn't fit for the 2010 WC, had some personal issues too (he's annoyingly vulnerable to letting them impact his game) and was woeful for most of 2010-11. But he led us to a title challenge and 89 points last season, and this season has significantly contributed to us running away with the league. You can't do that from a role behind the striker if you're technical game is abysmal, so I think it is very rare.

Most of your criticisms of Rooney are extremely valid...but i'm not sure why they apply to him potentially playing as a midfielder more than they apply to his current role.
Original post by Louis.
Most of your criticisms of Rooney are extremely valid...but i'm not sure why they apply to him potentially playing as a midfielder more than they apply to his current role.

I'll leave it at this to be honest otherwise we'll just end up going round in circles but what's Man. United's next game?

Pay very close attention to him in it, watch his passing and touches and I'll be on here at some point after asking how many misplaced passes you saw.

He can't play in midfield.
All those misplaced passes you subjectively see when you watch him ..

Or looking at stats on pass % and such..

I wonder which one is a better view of how many passes he actually misses etc...
Reply 2586
Does our attack need improvement, compared to last seasons we have scored 5 less goals and have only 1 more point, the competition has been very weak this season as well, that is quite surprising considering Kagawa and RVP you would think would've improved us, but it looks like the ridiculous drop in form of Valencia, Rooney, Nani and Young has been very harmful.

You cannot argue that Rooney is looking to be on the decline, when he should be at his peak right now, if you just wander about the amount of times Rooney has been subbed off, injured and not picked this season, yet we have not panicked like we have in the past and its not just down to the presence of RVP and Kagawa. I remember post the Milan demolition in 2010 where even Barca fans were considering Rooney to be as good or better than Messi, if you said that now people would laugh in you face. Just read the first page of this forum in 2010 and look at the amount of people saying they rate Rooney ahead of Ronaldo. After Rooney got injured in 2010 for me he hasn't been the same. http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/35/t1500075-rooney-vs-messi-vs-ronaldo/2.htm
Can Cleverley make it as a United player? I don't think he's got it tbh. Carrick's had a great season and Clevs looks good beside him, but not on his own. What do you reckon?
I don't know if the formations on the last page are serious, but every single one is ridiculous.

Rooney is not a midfielder and never will be one. It would be nice if we actually bought a proper midfielder and stop with this notion that Rooney will potentially play there.

I agree with the majority of Wilfred Little's posts. Rooney has not become as good as he probably should have done. He is still very good, but he's clearly a cut below the best players around the world. I wouldn't be too fussed if he were sold, because he's not going to get any better.

Especially since he carried on about the club not having enough ambition and didn't want to sign a contract. I've never felt the same about him since then. If he were actually producing fantastic performances like a top player should, then maybe I could have taken that seriously.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NathanW18
I don't know if the formations on the last page are serious, but every single one is ridiculous.

Rooney is not a midfielder and never will be one. It would be nice if we actually bought a proper midfielder and stop with this notion that Rooney will potentially play there.

I agree with the majority of Wilfred Little's posts. Rooney has not become as good as he probably should have done. He is still very good, but he's clearly a cut below the best players around the world. I wouldn't be too fussed if he were sold, because he's not going to get any better.

Especially since he carried on about the club not having enough ambition and didn't want to sign a contract. I've never felt the same about him since then. If he were actually producing fantastic performances like a top player should, then maybe I could have taken that seriously.

I think that comment if true will bite you on your backside. I mean seriously? Sell him? It is true when people say you do not know what you got until you lost it.

Imagine Rooney playing for PSG, Real Madrid etc (not playing for any English club I presume) you will regret your comment after seeing him demolish other teams in his natural position. It is not his fault that he is played out of position all the time. He, unlike many players wants to contribute to the team in any sort of way in attacking and defending. He even says so-that shows passion for the club, that is why he questioned the club in not buying good enough players-because he wants to be in quality team and win things.
I think he is mature now and cool headed as with age (just like van persie), but you cannot dismiss his quality, he needs to be played in his prefered striking positions.

Tell me one person who has played in an unnatural position and actually done better than in his natural position?

Again, the attacking line up needs to be better, its like playing with 9 men, there are no wingers, practically do nothing, so how are chances meant to be given for Rooney/van persie to score.

I also would like to know how many crosses Man utd have made in open play. I think that will the story.

I think if falcao comes-then someone has to go, simple as that. Rooney will get frustrated/ van persie/chicherito (even more so now)/ maybe welbeck by not getting regular play time.

I think United are scouting already (only league to concentrate on), and will sign few players early on for pre season.
Rooney is the best forward in the game in his role, no idea how people would be happy to sell him bar for a very high fee.
Reply 2591
NathanW18
agree with the majority of Wilfred Little's posts. Rooney has not become as good as he probably should have done. He is still very good, but he's clearly a cut below the best players around the world. I wouldn't be too fussed if he were sold, because he's not going to get any better.

Well he is the best player we have pretty much (Vidic in defense and RVP when he is banging them in could argue.) You don't see Barca fans saying they would be ok with selling Iniesta and Xavi because their "not going to get any better." :s-smilie:
Reply 2592
Its simple
4-2-2-2
De Gea
Rafael, Rio, Vidic, Evra
Carrick, Cleverly(or a good signing)
Rooney, Kagawa
Falcao, RVP

And would most people prefer Falcao over Lewandowski? Falcao is much better but he is also older and would be way more expensive. With Lewandowski we get a cheap player who SAF have wanted for some time now and with a great record in the Bundasliga, also hes 24 the same as as Hernandez. But if we get Falcao HUGE middle finger to City and Chelsea.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
Imagine Rooney playing for PSG, Real Madrid etc (not playing for any English club I presume) you will regret your comment after seeing him demolish other teams in his natural position. It is not his fault that he is played out of position all the time.

If he consistently performed well, Sir Alex would play him in his natural position.

[QUOTE=MEPLUS-->YOU;42193894]He, unlike many players wants to contribute to the team in any sort of way in attacking and defending. He even says so-that shows passion for the club, that is why he questioned the club in not buying good enough players-because he wants to be in quality team and win things.
He does? Well, his performances this season haven't suggested that to me. He used to be all over the pitch a couple years ago. I rarely see him do that this year. I expected him to show some kind of reaction to Van Persie being signed. He's shown very little.

Questioning the clubs ambition is completely different to showing a lack of loyalty. I mean, which teams are going to win more than Man United? Barcelona and Real Madrid are probably the only one's.

A lot of us have questioned some of the transfers the club has made. Quite a few of the tactical decisions that Sir Alex makes, too, but, if you're being paid the stupid amount of money that he is, you put your head down and play your heart out for the team.

I guess I expect a lot more from our number 10. Our supposed best player. Our best paid player. I don't think he's shown much at all this season and I feel like this is what we're going to continue to see from him. It looks like he doesn't care as much as he used to.

I think he is mature now and cool headed as with age (just like van persie), but you cannot dismiss his quality, he needs to be played in his prefered striking positions.

He has definitely calmed down and matured. I actually used to worry when he lost the ball and charged down the player that took it. It always felt like he was going to be red carded for making a stupid challenge. I didn't dismiss his quality. I said he's a good player, but he's not the player that he should have been.

As I said before, if Sir Alex thought he was the best player in his position, he would be played there. He changed the team around to get the best out of Ronaldo, because he was our best player. If it were the same for Rooney, he'd do the same.

Tell me one person who has played in an unnatural position and actually done better than in his natural position?

I can't. My points above still stand here.

Again, the attacking line up needs to be better, its like playing with 9 men, there are no wingers, practically do nothing, so how are chances meant to be given for Rooney/van persie to score.

I think our strategy is focused too much on our wingers. Since they've all had poor seasons, we've struggled a bit. I thought Kagawa signing was the manager suggesting that we were going to focus on playing through the middle more, but he barely plays him in the centre.

Idle
Well he is the best player we have pretty much (Vidic in defense and RVP when he is banging them in could argue.) You don't see Barca fans saying they would be ok with selling Iniesta and Xavi because their "not going to get any better." :s-smilie:

Well, maybe because they're better players than Rooney and consistently perform well? You don't sell players that are performing at an extremely high level, unless you have no choice. It'd be like us selling Carrick. It'd make no sense and we'd have no midfield without him. It's controversial, but as a forward, I think Van Persie is better than Rooney. I don't care if they can 'do a job' on the wing or in midfield. They're forwards and their performance upfront is all I care about.

Rooney is not indispensable, like he was a few seasons ago.

Reading other forums, I know I'm not alone in my thinking. I expect better performances from our best paid player. Being mediocre, when this should be the peak period of your career is not acceptable.
Reply 2594
Reading other forums, I know I'm not alone in my thinking. I expect better performances from our best paid player. Being mediocre, when this should be the peak period of your career is not acceptable.

16 goals from 31 appearances when he's not even playing upfront half the time is not mediocre. Rooney has been put in positions we lack because he's the only player good enough to do it and that is the fault of the club for consistently, season after season having a hole that he has to fill, you try putting RVP in CM when we are short of cover and see what happens.
(edited 11 years ago)

He does? Well, his performances this season haven't suggested that to me. He used to be all over the pitch a couple years ago. I rarely see him do that this year. I expected him to show some kind of reaction to Van Persie being signed. He's shown very little.

One of the compliments towards Rooney, to this very day, is the work he puts in all over the place. I've seen plenty of comments this season of how other fowards wouldnt be caught dead 'At LB defending balls Rooney defends' for example. People clearly don't actually watch him, watch how he reacts to losing or the opponents scoring a goal or him missing a shot etc if they think he doesn't care as much.

I guess I expect a lot more from our number 10. Our supposed best player. Our best paid player. I don't think he's shown much at all this season and I feel like this is what we're going to continue to see from him. It looks like he doesn't care as much as he used to.

I just dont understand how a player who is having his best ever return for the club isn't showing much this season..

They're forwards and their performance upfront is all I care about.

So you care about Rooneys goals + assist returns being better per game than Van Persies?
Original post by Idle
16 goals from 31 appearances when he's not even playing upfront half the time is not mediocre. Rooney has been put in positions we lack because he's the only player good enough to do it and that is the fault of the club for consistently, season after season having a hole that he has to fill, you try putting RVP in CM when we are short of cover and see what happens.

I'm not just looking at statistics. I'm looking at his overall performances this season. When has Rooney even played in CM this season? I can't remember it happening. I only remember him playing on the left side of the field.

I have continuously questioned the managers decision not to buy a central midfielder but Rooney has not been used as a stop gap.

I can understand him playing on the left a few times, because our wingers have been injured/horrible.

Tommyjw
One of the compliments towards Rooney, to this very day, is the work he puts in all over the place. I've seen plenty of comments this season of how other fowards wouldnt be caught dead 'At LB defending balls Rooney defends' for example. People clearly don't actually watch him, watch how he reacts to losing or the opponents scoring a goal or him missing a shot etc if they think he doesn't care as much.

I watch every United game and I have not noticed that much this season. His reaction to losing the ball always used to be to chase the player down and at least make a tackle on him. Even though it was concerning to see him doing that, it showed me that he still gave a ****.

Tommyjw
I just dont understand how a player who is having his best ever return for the club isn't showing much this season..

I don't know how to respond to that. You think that his current performances are the best he's ever shown for the club?

Tommyjw
So you care about Rooneys goals + assist returns being better per game than Van Persies?

I don't like to use statistics as to whether a player is playing well. I'm looking at the overall performances and whether they look dangerous during the game.

Welbeck does not have good statistics for this season, but I still think his overall performances have been very good. He still needs to grow up and stop messing around when he gets near the penalty area, though.

Van Persie has looked a lot more dangerous than Rooney during this season. Even throughout his current spell of not scoring. He's making his own opportunities and making some fantastic runs. He just can't put them away. It's frustrating to watch and I've already called Van Persie out on here for not scoring for a couple months now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2597
Original post by Idle

Rooney will be a better CM than Messi but I'd rather have Messi in the team. And Rooney's stats are amazing but his performances haven't really been amazing that he gets the wages he gets, and is unfortunately on the downfall, therefore if he wants to get 250k a week on his next contract he has to start putting in performances to warrant it, the same way Inter didn't think Sneijder was worth his wages and let him go even though he was once one of the best players that played there. In 2010 Rooney was good enough to rival the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and therefore he deserved there wages, but now he has to either take a pay cut or move on, and not come into every season unfit and needing a couple of games to get into form, and miss training due to excessive partying. Rooney has 2years left on his contract, I'd rather he took a pay cut and stayed but if not then he should be offloaded to PSG for a high fee than getting a cut price fee next season with 1 year left like what's happening with Arsenal/BVB, or paying obscene wages for a player who doesn't show much promise to be WC post 30.
I don't like to use statistics as to whether a player is playing well. I'm looking at the overall performances and whether they look dangerous during the game.

"They're forwards and their performance upfront is all I care about."

"I don't like to use statistics"

A very, very large part of a strikers forward performance is based on their goals, assists and relevant stats. You can't simply just flat out ignore that just because you 'dont like to use statistics'. Fact is they do matter, and statistics can show a massive amount

What else would you like to know about their 'forward performance'?

Rooneys wins possession in final third more often
Rooneys attacking zone/final third passing is more accurate
Rooney has more assists in less playing time
Rooney creates both chances and clear cut chances more often
Rooneys shooting accuracy, chance conversion and clear cut chance conversion are all better.

In fact the only thing RvP beats Rooney on is minutes per goal. RvP 131. Rooney 140.

And this is all whilst Rooney is playing behind the striker, out on the wing etc.

What a **** year he is having in comparison to the mighty RvP.

Van Persie has looked a lot more dangerous than Rooney during this season.

The striker has looked more dangerous than the person playing behind the striker? Well ****...
This is where my participation in any kind of Rooney debates ends. I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

We'll see what the manager thinks in the summer.

Latest