The Student Room Group

Opinions of Tattoos in the Workplace

Do you think people with tattoos should be allowed to visibly show them or should measures be put in place to constrain them?
What about those with tattoos that are unable to be covered...should this stop them from being employable?

Would appreciate your views on this matter as it will greatly help a research project. :smile::biggrin::smile:
Reply 1
Depends on the area of work. If it's just in the office, as long as it's not offensive/offputting to co-workers it's fine. However if you have a job in public, or where you have to be proffesional at meetings etc. I think that an effort should be made to cover them. Honestly if your wearing a suit (as a professionally would do), then there are very few places that a tattoo could be seen apart from on the face which is just wrong..

Tom :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by HolleeJane
Do you think people with tattoos should be allowed to visibly show them or should measures be put in place to constrain them?
What about those with tattoos that are unable to be covered...should this stop them from being employable?

Would appreciate your views on this matter as it will greatly help a research project. :smile::biggrin::smile:

In my opinion, tattoos should not determine whether a person works, if the tattoo is offensive then it should be covered as this could cause a disruption in the workplace. but a tattoo such as a flower is not going to harm a person so should not need covering. I have several tattoos on my arms even though they are small, I do not have to cover them up to work and i work within a retail, customer service sector. Many workplaces will have some sort of an agreement about tattoos, which should be discussed when a person is applying for a job.
Reply 3
Haha my partner has a tattoo on his face (which he does regret) but it hasn't stopped him working for a reputable organisation
Reply 4
Haha my partner has a tattoo on his face (which he does regret) but it hasn't stopped him working for a reputable organisation

Is a teardrop?

if so, run
Reply 5
Nooo haha, its actually quite tasteful
Tattoos of nazi symbols, racial hate etc. is offensive. Tattoos of flowers, names, numbers etc. are NOT offensive. Why people still can't comprehend this is shocking. I have my best friend's initial on my wrist, and I plan on getting a little paw print behind my ear. If that offends anyone, they're ****ing ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
People don't just happen to have tattoos in areas that can't be covered they make a conscious decision to get them. Whether people are or are not allowed to have tattoos out should be up to the discretion of the employer when they set their dress policy. People who can't cover their tattoos obviously would have to work for someone who doesn't mind them, this will be more difficult as you are cutting away many of your options but not impossible. If they can't find anything they want to do because of their uncoverable tattoo well tough they made the decision to get it and if they had considered it properly they would of known it would make things more difficult.

I do wonder however why this is your third thread about work place tattoos today
Reply 8
Original post by boba
People don't just happen to have tattoos in areas that can't be covered they make a conscious decision to get them. Whether people are or are not allowed to have tattoos out should be up to the discretion of the employer when they set their dress policy. People who can't cover their tattoos obviously would have to work for someone who doesn't mind them, this will be more difficult as you are cutting away many of your options but not impossible. If they can't find anything they want to do because of their uncoverable tattoo well tough they made the decision to get it and if they had considered it properly they would of known it would make things more difficult.

I do wonder however why this is your third thread about work place tattoos today

The reason I have posted three threads (thanks for noticing / stalking btw) is due to the fact these questions form the basis of my dissertation and I wanted to see how other ppl interpret them... Not asking for a debate or for judgement to be passed on my tattoos or my partners as were both happily employed :smile:
Original post by tehforum
Is a teardrop?

if so, run

Must be an ice cream cone
I think it depends entirely on the business and there attitude.

A Music and DVD store..totally.

A Law Firm, no.
Reply 11
Tattoos don't *usually* denote anything but taste so shouldn't really matter, but we are not quite there in society where people can see past the ink. I personally don't have a problem and work in a pretty lefty sector so there are a few of us milling around with ink and piercings. However if it's client facing and you have your hands/face/neck tattoo'd there is still a lot of negative views on them. Even i think twice before speaking to someone with a tattoo on a face.
Reply 12

Is he Darth Maul?
Reply 13
The reason I have posted three threads (thanks for noticing / stalking btw) is due to the fact these questions form the basis of my dissertation and I wanted to see how other ppl interpret them... Not asking for a debate or for judgement to be passed on my tattoos or my partners as were both happily employed :smile:

you are the only person that I have noticed mention you or your partners tattoos or your respective employment statuses. I see that makes more sense I was pretty confused since they seemed to be basically the same but I understand now :tongue: and yeah I guess I did spend to much time on the computer yesterday.
I don't think they should matter, it's just my opinion but a no-tattoos-at-work policy kinda also limits how you are on the days when you're not at work? Which I don't think your employer should really have a say in. Just my opinion though...
If someone wants a tattoo on their face then that's cool, but it's obviously not appropriate in a whole range of situations and they should be aware that they're limiting themselves - plus they might come to regret it in later life. Obvs a face tattoo is a dramatic example, there are lots of locations you can have visible tattoos that are still quite discreet, the neck, wrist or hand, for example, but that would still not be appropriate in certain work places. An employer has every right to enact a no-tattoos-at-work policy and people should make decisions in their life appropriate to their positions.

Quick Reply

Latest