The Student Room Group

don't know if I could drop biology after AS if I wanna do nursing

Hello. Im in year 12 and am currently doing maths, chemistry, biology and spanish and im planning to do nursing.I am really struggling with biology and I got a D in the unit 1 exam but resiting it. I dont know if I could still cope with it for another year so I was thinking of dropping it after AS. Im not sure though if I really need it to do a nursing course, that's why I was worried that if I dropped it I cant get into uni. Pleasee HELP!!

Thankss!
Reply 1
It depends on the uni, some ask for it and some don't. I'd thoroughly recommend keeping it though as its really beneficial to the course and those that did it tend to be stronger at the anatomy and physiology stuff :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Soph.Jade
It depends on the uni, some ask for it and some don't. I'd thoroughly recommend keeping it though as its really beneficial to the course and those that did it tend to be stronger at the anatomy and physiology stuff :smile:

Thanks for replying. Are u doing a nursing course? And did you do a2 bio?
Reply 3
Not all unis require it, however biology is a core component of the nursing degree, so you would have to ensure that you would be able to do the biological aspects of the course.
Reply 4
Original post by a4tech2
Thanks for replying. Are u doing a nursing course? And did you do a2 bio?

Yeah, I'm studying nursing at Cardiff. I didn't do a2 bio and really really regret it
Reply 5
Original post by a4tech2
Hello. Im in year 12 and am currently doing maths, chemistry, biology and spanish and im planning to do nursing.I am really struggling with biology and I got a D in the unit 1 exam but resiting it. I dont know if I could still cope with it for another year so I was thinking of dropping it after AS. Im not sure though if I really need it to do a nursing course, that's why I was worried that if I dropped it I cant get into uni. Pleasee HELP!!

Thankss!

Hi :smile: From what I've seen Unis find it useful for you to have some knowledge of Biology, but there aren't too many that absolutely demand that you have studied it at A-level. In my experience most prefer you to have some work experience and knowledge of the healthcare profession.

I feel your pain with Biology :/ I've had to retake exams so many times. If you decide to carry on with it then don't do what I did and leave it a week until the exam to start hardcore revision... that's a no brainer! I'd say the most important thing with Bio is to seriously study exam technique. The questions are tricky and even though your answer might be essentially right you might miss out on the marks because you didn't include a few essential key words, or fail to word it correctly. For example I once lost 2 marks because I wrote 'normal heart rate' instead of 'slow h.r' in a question that asked you to list the differences in how the body functions at rest and in a fight/flight response. 2 marks might not sound like much but the grade boundaries are harsh and in a 90 mark paper things like that add up.

Hope this helps :smile: Sorry for the long reply!
Reply 6
Original post by Larabear93
Hi :smile: From what I've seen Unis find it useful for you to have some knowledge of Biology, but there aren't too many that absolutely demand that you have studied it at A-level. In my experience most prefer you to have some work experience and knowledge of the healthcare profession.

I feel your pain with Biology :/ I've had to retake exams so many times. If you decide to carry on with it then don't do what I did and leave it a week until the exam to start hardcore revision... that's a no brainer! I'd say the most important thing with Bio is to seriously study exam technique. The questions are tricky and even though your answer might be essentially right you might miss out on the marks because you didn't include a few essential key words, or fail to word it correctly. For example I once lost 2 marks because I wrote 'normal heart rate' instead of 'slow h.r' in a question that asked you to list the differences in how the body functions at rest and in a fight/flight response. 2 marks might not sound like much but the grade boundaries are harsh and in a 90 mark paper things like that add up.

Hope this helps :smile: Sorry for the long reply!

Thanks so much for your advice! I know right, biology is a pain! I really dont like biology, sometimes the questions are just too vague. It's just that im torn between maths and biology. I know im dropping one of them. And im worried about the exam if i do continue it because they've changed how the exams work. we all have to do all the exams in june so no january exams. so if i fail my exam i wont have the chance to resit it. :frown:(
I'm doing Nursing in September and I'm doing A2 biology. Appreciating that it will help me with the anatomy and physiology has helped me to keep at it. I got a very low C at AS and was really struggling with it. I did a resit in January and it's bumped my AS grade up to a B, and I'm feeling a lot better about it now. Until you've seen your unit 2 and resit results, you never know how it's going to affect your overall grade so I wouldn't be too discouraged by a D.
Reply 8
Original post by Charlotte49
I'm doing Nursing in September and I'm doing A2 biology. Appreciating that it will help me with the anatomy and physiology has helped me to keep at it. I got a very low C at AS and was really struggling with it. I did a resit in January and it's bumped my AS grade up to a B, and I'm feeling a lot better about it now. Until you've seen your unit 2 and resit results, you never know how it's going to affect your overall grade so I wouldn't be too discouraged by a D.

right, thank you! i might have to wait until the end of AS when i have my grade. i might reconsider continuing biology if it would help me do my nursing course.

what university are you going to? and did you need to do any extra work like volunteering to be accepted? :smile:
Original post by a4tech2
right, thank you! i might have to wait until the end of AS when i have my grade. i might reconsider continuing biology if it would help me do my nursing course.

what university are you going to? and did you need to do any extra work like volunteering to be accepted? :smile:

Not sure yet, haven't made my decision. I would really recommend doing as much work experience and volunteering as you can, it looks good on your personal statement and you'll have plenty of things to talk about at interview. I've done quite a lot and I think it really helped me to get offers which are way below my predicted grades, so it takes the pressure off a bit :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Charlotte49
Not sure yet, haven't made my decision. I would really recommend doing as much work experience and volunteering as you can, it looks good on your personal statement and you'll have plenty of things to talk about at interview. I've done quite a lot and I think it really helped me to get offers which are way below my predicted grades, so it takes the pressure off a bit :smile:

Thanks! I have done a year of volunteering at a charity shop and am planning to volunteer at our hospital. Good luck to youu!!!
Original post by a4tech2
Thanks so much for your advice! I know right, biology is a pain! I really dont like biology, sometimes the questions are just too vague. It's just that im torn between maths and biology. I know im dropping one of them. And im worried about the exam if i do continue it because they've changed how the exams work. we all have to do all the exams in june so no january exams. so if i fail my exam i wont have the chance to resit it. :frown:(

I would stick with the one that you're best at to be honest. I really like Biology but sometimes I wish I'd chosen something easier which I could get a better grade in. I'd agree that you should try and do as much volunteering as you can, I'm a first aider with St John Ambulance and it's great, in the training you get a lot of knowledge on human physiology and when you're out on duty you can get a lot of experience of dealing with the public too. :smile:
Original post by a4tech2

Thankss!

Like others have said, it would be worth keeping it, as it is related to nursing and may come in useful, Im not sure if unis require it or not but i bet quite a few will want it. Id look at unis you are interested in going to and see what their requirements are.
Reply 13
Thank you so much to all of your advice!! Im leaning towards dropping biology and just make up with volunteering but still have a lot of time to change my mind though. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending