The Student Room Group

What is the most annoying things other road users do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
People who don't say 'thank you' when you give way to them...oh my F****** GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. How arrogant and ungrateful do you have to be to not even give the slightest nod of the head or wave of the hand to acknowledge my efforts to slow down, even stop to allow your unappreciative arse through and get to your destination quicker than I'll now be getting to mine?

/End rant.
Reply 141
Tailgating is a very bad one as well, I saw a shocking piece of driving earlier today. There was a small Ford Fiesta being driven at around 50 - 55 mph on a 60 limit road. Fair enough, not the end of the world as there are plenty of places to overtake. The Vauxhall Astra estate behind the Fiesta was sitting about 3 feet away for over 5 miles and tapping the brakes literally every 5 seconds. After refusing to overtake when he had plenty of opportunity to do so, he eventually crawled past when we got onto the dual carriageway only to pull in and sit at 65 (70 limit). I then overtook him which obviously angered him as he went flying past me not long after, only to go back down to 65!

Genuinely some of the worst driving I have ever seen, he put everyone in danger! So if you were driving a silver Astra estate on the A96 coming towards Aberdeen this morning, you are a cock of the highest order. Felt sorry for the Fiesta driver, there was no excuse for that driving. Pretty sure the Astra driver had kids in the car too.
Not using indicators ticks me right off. As a learner, you are taught to assume that no one indicating is going straight on, generally at a roundabout. So why do drivers insist on pulling out with no indicator, then taking the first exit, where I am, so I could have pulled out about 30 seconds ago. Or using indicators at the wrong time. We are also taught to not indicate when taking over cars. Or at least you should have been. Reason being, if you overtake a car that is very close to a junction. When you indicate right to overtake a car or bike which is near a junction, it is easy to assume they are overtaking the vehicle in front. So, continuing your speed, the driver in front then slows down and you nearly hit him. Or as what nearly happened to a guy in front of me yesterday. On the other side of the road, a bus was pulling into the stop, so a truck indicated (my) left to turn into a junction, the guy in front of me assumed he was overtaking the bus, the truck then pulled out in front of him as he went to pull away. He didn't get hit, but still. Its really annoying. And when people don't put lights on at night... Seriously...
Drive on the same roads I want to drive on

I want the roads to myself dammit :mad:
Original post by johnnyboy360
Not using indicators ticks me right off. As a learner, you are taught to assume that no one indicating is going straight on, generally at a roundabout. So why do drivers insist on pulling out with no indicator, then taking the first exit, where I am, so I could have pulled out about 30 seconds ago. Or using indicators at the wrong time. We are also taught to not indicate when taking over cars. Or at least you should have been. Reason being, if you overtake a car that is very close to a junction. When you indicate right to overtake a car or bike which is near a junction, it is easy to assume they are overtaking the vehicle in front. So, continuing your speed, the driver in front then slows down and you nearly hit him. Or as what nearly happened to a guy in front of me yesterday. On the other side of the road, a bus was pulling into the stop, so a truck indicated (my) left to turn into a junction, the guy in front of me assumed he was overtaking the bus, the truck then pulled out in front of him as he went to pull away. He didn't get hit, but still. Its really annoying. And when people don't put lights on at night... Seriously...

i had that once. they went into the lane to go straight on at a mini roundabout and didnt indicate so one would presume they were going straight. as it was busy i went forward as there was no one going past me round the roundabout.

what does that car do who is going straight on on the mini roundabout with no indication as i pull out?

he goes right. i have to slam on the brakes before he does a T crash or whatever its called as he is also going quite fast.

insert a heck of alot of beeps -.-
Original post by 1992LP
Genuinely some of the worst driving I have ever seen, he put everyone in danger! So if you were driving a silver Astra estate on the A96 coming towards Aberdeen this morning, you are a cock of the highest order. Felt sorry for the Fiesta driver, there was no excuse for that driving. Pretty sure the Astra driver had kids in the car too.

Wait a minute, I think I've probably seen him before. Any chance that he gave the brakes a cheeky pump past every speed camera (i.e, to bring it down to around 60 along the Tyrebagger and around 30 past the speed camera at the back of Bucksburn)?
I hate people who don't indicate. The other day I was stuck in a bit of traffic and was crawling along the right hand lane, when suddenly this car starts to pull out in front of me from the left hand lane, no indicating at all, causing me to slam on the brakes. Good job I was only going about 5mph otherwise I might not have been able to react as quickly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 147
Original post by Entangled
Wait a minute, I think I've probably seen him before. Any chance that he gave the brakes a cheeky pump past every speed camera (i.e, to bring it down to around 60 along the Tyrebagger and around 30 past the speed camera at the back of Bucksburn)?

He was constantly on the brakes, tapping them every 10 seconds or so. Clearly has no idea about throttle positioning!

He did slow down quite a bit for the first camera, I stayed in the left lane and he shot off after that so I didn't see him for the second one.

Can't remember the reg, I think it was a 62 plate.

Nice to see another Aberdonian around these parts though! :smile:
Reply 148
Definitely has to be people who don't say thank you after you give way. So annoying..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1992LP
Nice to see another Aberdonian around these parts though! :smile:

Likewise. That stretch of the A96 would be absolutely majestic if all the town roundabouts were abolished and it was totally empty. Idyllic surroundings and a nicely shaped road in places.

Driving around here is a dangerous pastime - sometimes you can read people, but I'd wish anyone not from around here luck in trying to navigate the place. We're an unpredictably unpredictable breed.
Reply 150
Might have already been said, not sure but yeah,

People who come halfway out a junction then look to see if it's clear. Also when on a dual-carriageway when people are up your arse trying to get you to move out the way when there's no decent way to get into the inner lane.
Reply 151
Indicating (or lack thereof) is the worst one, but I had some Audi douchebag tailgating me today. We went from a 40 where he was already tailgating me to a 30, and I had slow down extremely slowly as he was right up my bum. Then as we went along the road, the car in front wanted to turn right - I slowed down and tried to overtake in the bus lane on the left but the idiot behind me was too close and had already started to overtake me (he honestly hadn't even given me a chance) so I just stopped (rather than risk a bump!) and as he drove past he called me a ****ing idiot :angry: I just gave him the evils and glared at him the resr of the way down the road.

Had another douch this morning tailgating me actually, on the bit of the A23 where it's 40 coz of the roadworks. He then overtook me and went zooming past the speed camera....enjoy your speeding fine mate.
Reply 152
Original post by DaveDavids

17)
Also on the ground that with todays smart mobile phones you can watch TV and Sky Go - who is to say drivers havent got TV switched on when its in the dashboard cradle - worrying/concerning prospect!

I'm sure I can think of more...

I was honestly in a taxi a few weeks back where the driver was doing this. Honestly feared for my life....
People on your left who just pull out in front of you on a roundabout!
Original post by sabian92
All it comes down to is convenience not coming before safety. Sorry my bike can't do 40, but you have to wait until I deem it safe for you to overtake as it's my life on the line if you barge past. I don't want to die, my fiancée doesn't want me to die and my family doesn't want me to die. I'm pretty sure you don't want a death by dangerous driving conviction either. Some cyclists (me included) ride with cameras as well so there is evidence in the case of going to the Police and if I think you have put my life in danger, I WILL report you to the Police. You'll also go on YouTube as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry but if the road is 40mph then the idea is you travel at 40mph on it. If you can't do that because you're on a bike then you need to move over. If you feel it's unsafe to move over at 40mph then you need to slow down and move over. If you feel it's unsafe to move over at all then you need to not cycle down that road. This isn't anything against cyclists, the same applies to anybody who can't or won't do 40mph for a reason that isn't having to go slower because of traffic or the road conditions.

You can't hold everyone up and then go "but you have to do what I say because I don't want to die and think of my poor family". You have to take some responsibility yourself and make sensible decisions.
Original post by StacFace
I'm sorry but if the road is 40mph then the idea is you travel at 40mph on it. If you can't do that because you're on a bike then you need to move over. If you feel it's unsafe to move over at 40mph then you need to slow down and move over. If you feel it's unsafe to move over at all then you need to not cycle down that road. This isn't anything against cyclists, the same applies to anybody who can't or won't do 40mph for a reason that isn't having to go slower because of traffic or the road conditions.

You can't hold everyone up and then go "but you have to do what I say because I don't want to die and think of my poor family". You have to take some responsibility yourself and make sensible decisions.

Protip: 40 is a limit, not a target. There is no crime for doing less than the posted limit if you aren't able to reach that speed. If you blindly do the speed limit without considering the road, the conditions and the general traffic on that road, you should be taken off the road. You need some common sense.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZZUAn That road is a 60mph limit because it's a NSL single carriageway. Would you do 60mph on that road? Of course not, it's far too narrow with blind corners.

If it's unsafe to overtake (regardless of the speed limit!) I will stop you. Sorry, but deal with it. Like I said before, my safety comes before your convenience - to be honest I don't give a **** about your convenience as stopping you from overtaking isn't going to literally kill you whereas you overtaking me because "holy ****, a cyclist! He can't do the speed limit, I will overtake him regardless because he won't move over!" Your desire to do the speed limit regardless is DANGEROUS. No other word for it.

Preventing an overtake that is dangerous is taking responsibility for myself. It's called self preservation and it's a perfectly sensible decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHAijj9dfXw

Do you think that is acceptable? Because that applies your logic of "You can't do the speed limit, get out of my way, you peasant cyclist!"

You sound like a impatient, dangerous driver. I hope I never meet you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 156
Original post by Entangled
Likewise. That stretch of the A96 would be absolutely majestic if all the town roundabouts were abolished and it was totally empty. Idyllic surroundings and a nicely shaped road in places.

Driving around here is a dangerous pastime - sometimes you can read people, but I'd wish anyone not from around here luck in trying to navigate the place. We're an unpredictably unpredictable breed.

It really would be! Ever tried to leave Aberdeen on the A96 during rush hour? That is a mistake I will only make once.

What car do you drive? I will keep a look out for you! :smile:
Trust me, so do I. The majority of drivers are actually not that bad where I live but the ones that are dicks really ruin it. They don't see a human, they see an obstacle which is wrong.

Bus drivers (actually, any driver who drives heavy vehicles in my experience) don't give 2 flying monkeys if they hit you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyB__ikLyZ8

Example therein....
Yeah good point, there's a lot of nice drivers that do leave you enough space or give way to you too (I find the vast majority tend to be male and tradies :biggrin: hehe)

Buses and trucks scare me cos more often than not they can't see you :frown: So as a result I'm more cautious around them and always wear a hi vis vest whenever I ride. It's embarassing sometimes when I'm at work and people see me wear it/take it off/put it on but oh well safety first.
(edited 11 years ago)
today i witnessed reckless driving.

i was going onto the motorway at 60/70mph (so not wanting to go much slower). a car was well behind me on the first lane, so i had plenty of room. as soon as they spotted me, they sped up and went right next to me. i mean RIGHT next. i sped up, no. i slowed down, no.
eventually my lane closed n he indicated to the right as i started having to move over.

absolute idiot.

i beeped ofc after, n he flipped me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i shouldve reported him. hurumph.
Protip: 40 is a limit, not a target. There is no crime for doing less than the posted limit if you aren't able to reach that speed. If you blindly do the speed limit without considering the road, the conditions and the general traffic on that road, you should be taken off the road. You need some common sense.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZZUAn That road is a 60mph limit because it's a NSL single carriageway. Would you do 60mph on that road? Of course not, it's far too narrow with blind corners.

If it's unsafe to overtake (regardless of the speed limit!) I will stop you. Sorry, but deal with it. Like I said before, my safety comes before your convenience - to be honest I don't give a **** about your convenience as stopping you from overtaking isn't going to literally kill you whereas you overtaking me because "holy ****, a cyclist! He can't do the speed limit, I will overtake him regardless because he won't move over!" Your desire to do the speed limit regardless is DANGEROUS. No other word for it.

Preventing an overtake that is dangerous is taking responsibility for myself. It's called self preservation and it's a perfectly sensible decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHAijj9dfXw

Do you think that is acceptable? Because that applies your logic of "You can't do the speed limit, get out of my way, you peasant cyclist!"

You sound like a impatient, dangerous driver. I hope I never meet you.

Yeah I would go 60 on that road, have done so on many similar roads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending