The Student Room Group

Racism against East Asians

I'm in a school in Year 9 , in quite a white town. We have about 200k people in the area , with 150 people in each year at this particular grammar school. Although I'm not Asian myself , I have noticed a huge amount of racism against the East asians at my school. There's only about 10 , but there's about 120 white people. It's not just whites either , other people do it also. My friend I think gets the most of it. Probably because he's the smartest guy in our school and some people don't like that. Most of the time he laughs it off , but he told me that really he hates it and gets angry. Some of the things that are done is making fun of the Chinese accent , using words like chink and jap. Making fun of eyes by stretching them , making fun of this small penis crap and stuff. As a non-racist Briton , I don't get how people of supposed intelligence can rationalize these things. It's stupid , I mean who cares about people's eye structure. I've noticed too that only asians are picked on. South Asians aka. Indians etc. and Black people ( who instantly become popular ) experience little to no racism. Why do people target asians for racism? Is it because of the intelligence stereotype?What's the situation in the US and Australia etc.? I'd like to know because I hate people from Britain representing us like this. It makes me ashamed to British...
Reply 1
bump
You can't bump something that you posted 30 minutes ago you greedy little ****er

Posted from TSR iPad
South Asians aka. Indians etc. and Black people ( who instantly become popular ) experience little to no racism.

How wrong you are.
Reply 4
Original post by Politricks
How wrong you are.

I'm talking about at my school not throughout the UK
Reply 5
I'm mixed race and I get racially abused, but not for some time. I live in a white dominant village and me and my sister must be the only non-white mixed race people in the village but I have never been racially abused there, only in the rougher areas.

SummerSurfer, blame the media. The hate between races is mainly because of media, always associating East Asians as terrorists.

Try being associated with ladyboys and prostitutes, I've had people ask me if my mum was a ladyboy or asking how much my dad brought her for.
Reply 6
As a foreign student at uni here, I've only ever experienced it once really.

At the end of term last year, I was in the campus phonebooth trying to make a call. I hear some loud noises, turn around, and eggs are spattered outside the box and on the glass walls themselves. Didn't find this racist though, just some idiots fooling around on campus at end of term playing pranks.

So I walk out of the phonebooth, roll up my sleeves and look around. The eggs stop. There happen to be some people congregating inside the window of the building closest and directly opposite to the booth. Assuming the eggs came from there, I stare at that place for about 5 minutes, pissed off.
Eventually a dude turns up and starts berating me for staring through the window, so I angrily shout back at why I'm looking in. He then proceeds to stretch his eyes with his fingers while staring back at me, doing the "Asian eyes" thing.

P.S. Later I found out that the window can't even open at a wide enough angle to throw things out of, so it must have been from somewhere else :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SummerSurfer
x

Perhaps it's because the East-Asians in your school might be softer targets
Original post by Willbean

because of media, always associating East Asians as terrorists

What?
Reply 9
Original post by FiveMagics
As a foreign student at uni here, I've only ever experienced it once really.

At the end of term last year, I was in the campus phonebooth trying to make a call. I hear some loud noises, turn around, and eggs are spattered outside the box and on the glass walls themselves. Didn't find this racist though, just some idiots fooling around on campus at end of term playing pranks.

So I walk out of the phonebooth, roll up my sleeves and look around. The eggs stop. There happen to be some people congregating inside the window of the building closest and directly opposite to the booth. Assuming the eggs came from there, I stare at that place for about 5 minutes, pissed off.
Eventually a dude turns up and starts berating me for staring through the window, so I angrily shout back at why I'm looking in. He then proceeds to stretch his eyes with his fingers while staring back at me, doing the "Asian eyes" thing.

P.S. Later I found out that the window can't even open at a wide enough angle to throw things out of, so it must have been from somewhere else :s-smilie:

And this is at uni? I would of fed him his own teeth.
Reply 10
Original post by Willbean
And this is at uni? I would of fed him his own teeth.

I did think about it, but seeing as I'd be automatically barred from working at my intended job with a criminal record, I just let it go.

It was also right bang in the centre of campus, so I didn't want to risk getting expelled by starting a fight.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by FiveMagics
I did think about it, but seeing as I'm automatically barred from working at my intended job with a criminal record, I just let it go.

It was also right bang in the centre of campus, didn't want to risk getting expelled by starting a fight.

This event is disheartening, I expected better behaviour and maturity at university....

Bullying and racism exists at uni. Wow. We're adults for crying out loud, this type of crap should of been left at school.
And it isn't just Willbean. An asian person like myself...

My experience at University has had it's moments of racism too but I expected to happen, just not as intense or as much as I had predicted, I think.
My first year at my university was my dream come true and came even more true when the racism began. All incidents below are caused by Caucasian people specifically white people.

1) I was coming back to my campus block when these guys in their group was still freshers together, first week or so, immediately they saw me and instantaneously laughed in their circle, my ears had heard the tallest one saying this guy looks like a 29 yr old asian technician, because I wore glasses. Then he said something like what the **** is a 29 yr old doing in our block ...wtf is going on. No one did anything, even though there was a bunch of other people their too.

2) I came back late from a solitary dinner and when I went back to my door I can hear the girls upstairs checking and listening intently to who came inside as they were probably waiting for some other guy to have fun with or something. I heard one say something like, It's just the asian, Its not (whatever his name is). They didn't even say its the wrong guy.

3) Two girls were backchatting behind me as I was on my computer in the library,they were boy chatting and unfortunately being close to them, I came up as the subject. One girl said what about this guy, to which the other girl said... mmh.. but he is chinese though, eurgh.. you like chinese guys?

I am not even chinese.

4) Two girls were walking from the other end of the campus place, I overheard saying, look at that guy (me) he looks nice, to which the other girl replied, yeh, but he is not English. He is asian, he is boring, I like English guys.

For those asian readers don't take this to heart, this experience applies to myself and only myself - it doesn't mean it will happen to you so don't get all hopeless.
(edited 11 years ago)
My friend pulled her eyes to emphasise her oriental friend. It's funny. I like racist impressions and jokes, makes a nice happy environment.
Reply 14
Original post by Snagprophet
My friend pulled her eyes to emphasise her oriental friend. It's funny. I like racist impressions and jokes, makes a nice happy environment.

I can see how people can interpret it as funny if it's done jokingly between friends or to people you know very well.
When there is real malice or hateful intent that goes with the action it becomes a different issue however and out of order. You'd basically be mocking the person for their appearance in that case - would that make for a "nice happy environment"?

If it's done to a stranger or someone you have never met before, it can be seen as insensitive or frankly, rude.
Reply 15
Its because of the all the stories in the media. People read those stories and think all asians are like that when in fact their not. So people start picking on asians saying things about their appearance and accent and other stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending