The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the following image has started circulating about today as the "new Manchester United logo".

Spoiler

It's a very crisp, clinical looking design however as far as I know there are no plans to change the badge at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it originally came from the clubs graphic department as they're always looking at new concepts and ideas for the future, but United will continue using the 1997 badge for the forseeable future.
If a top player becomes available with a reasonable price tag, SAF will always be around. Otherwise, I don't really think SAF is intending to buy anyone specific.

As for Sunday, I think Van Persie will definitely start.
Original post by IanDangerously
The trophy plans have been confirmed by the club this morning. The trophy will be presented, as expected, on Sunday May 12 following the game vs Swansea City at Old Trafford.

The following day a parade will take place. They're doing it early evening this time so it should attract more crowds. Last time City had their parade at tea time and United's was during the morning on a Monday which was odd. The last one started in town, came up Deansgate and around the ground then up into Stretford. This year it's starting at the ground and ending in town, the full route will be confirmed soon.

In other news, The Courteeners track "Not Nineteen Forever" has been announced as the official theme of this years title win. The band are donating proceeds from sales of the song this week are going to the Manchester United Foundation, the club's community charity. Good move, local lads and united fans, and they're a lot of reds favourite band at the moment. I'm not a huge fan but its a nice gesture, and I do like that song.

Edit: The full parade was televised free-to-air live on MUTV last time. I expect this will be the case again although that's not confirmed as of yet.

Nowhere near, not even our best squad in the Premier League era. The United of 95-97, 98-01 and 06-09 were all stronger, in some cases by a long way. This could go on to be a classic side in 2-3 years time if it continues to grow and improve, but its not there yet.

I did say possibly but basically meant that. There's a lot of potential.

Thanks for update on trophy parade, I might go down. For 19 I didn't go cause of the disappointment from the champions league.
Reply 3043
Does anyone know if Lewandowski has a release clause in his contract? :beard:
Reply 3044
If Rooney stays, and I believe he will, the long term plan has to be for him to become a central midfielder. With that said we have no need to be clamouring for any big signings this season, nor will we get any. Robin was the man Ferguson wanted for a long time, he got him. There's no other big names on the radar in reality, just a lot of lies made up to sell papers.

As far as the midfield goes, lets give it a couple of years and see what we really have in Kagawa, Cleverley and Powell. I have a feeling if Tom gets a consistent run in the team and avoids injury he'll mature into such a great player nobody will be fussing over the midfield anymore. That's the hope anyway, we always prefer to build stars rather than buying them. We're not City.

I think he does well in midfield but he's most effective as a striker

And if he moves to midfield we only have 2 strikers, welbeck needs to score more than 1 goal until he can be classified as a striker hopefully he'll work on his shooting because he works so damn hard he's vital

Does anybody think we're missing park ? Our wingers have been poor, and whilst park wasn't spectacular he knew his role and he did it well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Akkuz
Does anyone know if Lewandowski has a release clause in his contract? :beard:

No release clause but his contract is until summer 2014. I presume he's on pittance for his quality since he was signed relatively cheaply by Dortmund and there have been no contract renewals/extensions.

I believe the player has said that he has no intention of signing a new contract at Dortmund at the moment and on this basis, everyone assumes that Dortmund will look to cash in on him this summer when he still has a year left (rather than losing for free the following summer).

He could still sign a new contract with Dortmund or they may sell before the window closes in the summer or I suppose they could let him go for free the following summer.
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the following image has started circulating about today as the "new Manchester United logo".

Spoiler

It's 100% fake. This is how I know.

You'll notice Villa have a star incorporated into their current crest in recognition of their European Cup win - http://www.avfc.co.uk/javaImages/39/9f/0,,10265~8953657,00.gif

I remember when Lerner asked the fans to design the new crest in 2007. The star had to be included. However, Premier League rules state that the star must be incorporated inside the club crest and not outside of it like on the rumoured United crest, and like you see with the current England crest or with clubs on the continent like Bayern Munich.

Under current PL rules, that crest would not be allowed.

It could be argued that Manchester City have three stars outside of their crest and not incorporated into it - http://www.swansblog.co.uk/images/crests/mancity.png However those stars are purely decorative and do not acknowledge any success or trophy wins.
Reply 3047
Original post by Zerforax
No release clause but his contract is until summer 2014. I presume he's on pittance for his quality since he was signed relatively cheaply by Dortmund and there have been no contract renewals/extensions.

I believe the player has said that he has no intention of signing a new contract at Dortmund at the moment and on this basis, everyone assumes that Dortmund will look to cash in on him this summer when he still has a year left (rather than losing for free the following summer).

He could still sign a new contract with Dortmund or they may sell before the window closes in the summer or I suppose they could let him go for free the following summer.

Thanks. Interesting. Apparently Bayern have tabled a €25m bid. I'd love it if we went for him. He's only 24 and better value for money than someone like Falcao. Would create one hell of an attacking force!

Carrick
Valencia Rooney Kagawa
Lew. RVP
We need Lewandowski more than ever now!
Reply 3049
I don't see much evidence for Rooney in midfield tbh, or rather, Rooney being a success in midfield.

Original post by Wilfred Little

I always wondered why other teams showed off their success and United didn't. Interesting rule, if a bit odd. Even weirder when you think that England's kit usually has a star on it.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm surprised with the to Bayern rumours. I would have had it down until Pep was unveiled as manager. Lewandowski is a great forward, but his work rate and pressing is not as good as Mandžukić.

I really don't think we need a forward. In terms of pure firepower we have enough. I don't think you could say RVP, Rooney, Chica, Welbeck, Kagawa is not a forward line of European pedigree. I'm adamant we need a midfielder, the entire basis for us being covered is that Carrick is going to be fit.

If there is money to be splashed I'd still prefer to see it go on an out and out CM. Even if Rooney moves to CM he's going to be the wrong type, you can see from the way he plays he's still very attacking minded. I think he'll always be better as a AM/10 than a CM.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xDave-
I always wondered why other teams showed off their success and United didn't. Interesting rule, if a bit odd. Even weirder when you think that England's kit usually has a star on it.

United have actually done it before. Twice.

The '99 European shirt had a star representing their win in 1968, although the star was included in a 'shield', that's purely coincidental in terms of the Premier League rule - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/petecowgill/NOV2012/12NOV62.jpg United played in this kit all through their 98/99 European campaign. Another shirt was issued with 2 stars on it after '99. You will find pics on Google.

In 2008 after they won it for the 3rd time, the club released these limited edition shirts - http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll157/footballer2008/prd_maxzoom_mufc-53539_2.jpg

Chelsea released this season's shirts with a star on it as well.

You are right though, that rule is weird.
Keep waking up feeling great we are CHAMPIONS. Look forward to Sunday, even if we lose I know we'll just play casual football - still have a desire to do the Gunners over though!
Reply 3053
People were saying last summer that we didn't need a striker as we had Kagawa in the no 10 position and Rooney, Welbeck and Hernandez up front, but we were all proven wrong when RVP came and had a huge impact and was an integral part of winning the league this season. Don't underestimate the impact signing a world class centre forward could have. Yes we have more 1 world class striker than we did last summer so the two situations aren't exactly identical but getting a Lewondowski or Falcao would be still have a huge impact i feel and they would put us even further ahead of City and Chelsea, especially as those two will be spending this summer no doubt.

I of course do believe that a midfielder and a winger are the priorities, but if you look at the top players in the world who are available and affordable then there's no one really who we could sign. Modric, Gudgogen, Bale etc we probably wont sign, a Bender or Strootman would improve our team and fill that cm hole but they wouldn't have the same impact that RVP did this season and if everyone in europe is spending big on world class talent then we need to do the same to keep up. If the rumours are all true then i think Fergie feels the same way.
Original post by jaydoh
We need Lewandowski more than ever now!

Care to expand as to why you believe this?
Original post by Saf94
a Bender would improve our team and fill that cm hole

They'd only have to go to Canal Street to find one as well. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to fill some holes too.
Reply 3056
Think we might see Nick Powell in these last few games? Kinda disappointing we took him from playing every week to playing in our reserves. Could've loaned him out somewhere I'm sure, even if it was just back to Crewe. Though maybe training with United and playing the handful of games he's played has been a more beneficial experience, idk.
Original post by xDave-
Think we might see Nick Powell in these last few games? Kinda disappointing we took him from playing every week to playing in our reserves. Could've loaned him out somewhere I'm sure, even if it was just back to Crewe. Though maybe training with United and playing the handful of games he's played has been a more beneficial experience, idk.

I hope so! Put him on the field with the likes of Cleverley, Jones, Welbeck etc. and start working on a 'team chemistry' with future seasons in mind. :h:
Aye, midfielders. What's impressed me most about Dortmund and Bayern over the last 48 hours has been their midfield pivots. As impotent as Barca were, Martinez and Schweinsteiger were imperious, whilst Gundogan and Bender were outstanding last night. These midfields basically made Bayern and Dortmund play the matches on their own terms, particularly the latter. Given Anderson is a dud, there are doubts over whether Fletcher will ever play again and Scholes will probably retire, we could really do with someone as complete as Martinez/Schweinsteiger/Gundogan.
Januzaj has been given #44 shirt number, likely pointing to him getting to play a bit in the coming games.

Latest