The Student Room Group

GCSE Predictions - Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chlorophile
According to this source, 58% of successful applicants to Oxford had 8 or more A*s at GCSE in 2008. Taking into account grade inflation and other factors, this will have most likely risen since then.

You've probably been negged for one of two reasons. Firstly, your grades are outstanding compared to what most people could hope to achieve so some people might perceive this thread as showing off (not that it is, some people are pretty unreasonable here). The second, more sensible, reason is that there are already a lot of similar threads of potential oxbridge applicants worrying about GCSE performance and all get the same response: it doesn't have to matter, as long as you perform excellently at A Level, show flair for the subject and have a natural interest.

I've always been told it was 6 or 7 A*, the average Cambridge undergraduate who uses this forum (I'll find the link if you want it) had 6.5 A* at GCSE.

I know that if you want to study Law or Medicine you'll need around 10 A* (though I know people who were successful with less), but I have checked some other sources and it appears to be more around the 7 A* mark more recently. However last years applicants saw a large grade deflation, and people did considerably worse than the previous year, the new A-level and GCSE reforms will also help to reduce grade inflation.

But thanks, I will apply to Oxford but I am aware that I will most probably be rejected, I live near the city and it's one of my most favourite places to visit, it's beautiful, and I would love to read there.
Original post by Muppet Science
Nope :cry2: Ha I got to interview and did fairly well. In the feedback they said that I was just off being pooled, and if I had better UMS (I averaged ~ 88%) they would have given me an offer.

But I got an offer from Cardiff so I'm going to be a doc :biggrin:

What's 'being pooled'? :smile:
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
What's 'being pooled'? :smile:

There are a limited number of spaces where if they think you deserve a place but the college is full, then they put you in the pool where other colleges can pick you up (I think it is called being 'fished'). So I was just off being pooled :/
There are a limited number of spaces where if they think you deserve a place but the college is full, then they put you in the pool where other colleges can pick you up (I think it is called being 'fished'). So I was just off being pooled :/

Ohh I see - do colleges matter that much? :smile:
Ohh I see - do colleges matter that much? :smile:

Not really in terms of the application. At Oxford you select a college to apply to, or make an open application (you get assigned two colleges to be interviewed at - I think), and then get assigned a random second college. So even if you mess up the first one, then you can still get an offer from the second. Additionally you could get sent to another college as well.

At Cambridge you apply to a college (or open application so get assigned one) and get interviewed. If they cannot take you (due to lack of spaces) but think you should still get in then you get pooled - sometimes this does not really happen though for hyper-competitive subjects, e.g. maths, medicine etc.

So I would say to not try to apply tactically - it generally does not work. Have a look around the colleges and find one that you adore (it's not difficult - I had three that I loved at one point :P) and then apply to that one, remember that you, if accepted, will be there for three years so you want it to be somewhere you really like :biggrin:
Not really in terms of the application. At Oxford you select a college to apply to, or make an open application (you get assigned two colleges to be interviewed at - I think), and then get assigned a random second college. So even if you mess up the first one, then you can still get an offer from the second. Additionally you could get sent to another college as well.

At Cambridge you apply to a college (or open application so get assigned one) and get interviewed. If they cannot take you (due to lack of spaces) but think you should still get in then you get pooled - sometimes this does not really happen though for hyper-competitive subjects, e.g. maths, medicine etc.

So I would say to not try to apply tactically - it generally does not work. Have a look around the colleges and find one that you adore (it's not difficult - I had three that I loved at one point :P) and then apply to that one, remember that you, if accepted, will be there for three years so you want it to be somewhere you really like :biggrin:

Ohhh I see - thanks for explaining :smile: but what do different colleges do?
Reply 26
Original post by Hayek
That was strikingly unhelpful, what I was looking for was some indication of my likelihood of receiving an offer assuming I have strong A's at AS with those GCSE results considered.

How can I have two negative votes? It was a direct question what was there to judge or dislike?

You got negs because your trying to jump to conclusions as to what the precise formula is for getting into Oxford. There isn't one. You can't judge on the basis of your grades. I know people who have straight A*s at GCSE and A Level but got rejected even before interview and some after. No one knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can the fact that you get all A*s at GCSE which has an 5A*-C percentage of 28% and people getting less or no A*s make a huge difference? Provided, of course, that one has good BMAT. Could it at least bring you to the interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhh I see - thanks for explaining :smile: but what do different colleges do?

They are all pretty much the same. The only real differences are in looks, e.g. some are really old-school (sorry, couldn't help myself) and others look more modern. They also vary in size, for example Trinity is quite large in terms of numbers but Corpus is quite small. To be honest, and I'm not the best source for this, the college you go to only matters in regards to that's where you live.

Oh, although some colleges are better known for some courses there really is a very small difference, in my opinion.

P.S. vary in location as well.

(Sorry this is so poorly put together but I've been doing Physics for the past 5 hours straight...)
They are all pretty much the same. The only real differences are in looks, e.g. some are really old-school (sorry, couldn't help myself) and others look more modern. They also vary in size, for example Trinity is quite large in terms of numbers but Corpus is quite small. To be honest, and I'm not the best source for this, the college you go to only matters in regards to that's where you live.

Oh, although some colleges are better known for some courses there really is a very small difference, in my opinion.

P.S. vary in location as well.

(Sorry this is so poorly put together but I've been doing Physics for the past 5 hours straight...)

Reply 30
Well, I got an offer from Cambridge to study Law with the following: A*AAABBBBBCC, and A level: A*A*A*A*A*. You may want slightly better GCSEs than mine if you're looking at Oxford as they tend to place more emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge, however they aren't as strict with A levels, so less pressure! I'd say with your current predictions you'd be a strong Oxford applicant (if we were going by just GCSEs). I also went to a Grammar school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending