The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
I saw some of his quotes on another forum. http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?21311-The-Wit-and-Wisdom-of-Dean-Saunders

My personal favourite: ''The players have some pride they don’t want to play in League One. Apart from Saturday, every time we’ve needed a win we’ve got one. '' :laugh:

he is a ridiculous manager, with ridiculous comments. I don't like seeing managers sacked or hounded out but he was just bloody awful

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Please - if we're having a **** manager-off then we win hands down:

Fashionable, but completely and utterly incompetent to the point where we only just beat ****ing macclesfield.

Now he was bloody poor, but Terry Connor was worse then him in every way. We always seem to attract the good uns'
Original post by Midlander
Big spenders nonetheless and not solely on transfer fees. It'll be interesting if you fail in the playoffs how much more the Thais are happy to lose.

Mind, they now have the ground as security and are charging whopping interest on the loans already ploughed in.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well, given only Schmeichel, Nugent, Koncheskey & St. Ledger remain of Sven's signings (I won't count Beckford or Danns because they've been out on loan all season), and most of Nige's signings have been young players I hardly think our wage bill is massively out of proportion to the rest of the top half of the championship.
We spent a lot under Sven, but in the past year and a half since Nige returned we've been slashing costs a lot.
Well, given only Schmeichel, Nugent, Koncheskey & St. Ledger remain of Sven's signings (I won't count Beckford or Danns because they've been out on loan all season), and most of Nige's signings have been young players I hardly think our wage bill is massively out of proportion to the rest of the top half of the championship.
We spent a lot under Sven, but in the past year and a half since Nige returned we've been slashing costs a lot.

The debts from the previous regime are still there though and you'll still be loss making even though costs are reduced. Whopping interest, the club doesn't actually own the ground, and FFP kicking in soon-if you don't go up this season I'd bet you won't have a shot for years.

The debts from the previous regime are still there though and you'll still be loss making even though costs are reduced. Whopping interest, the club doesn't actually own the ground, and FFP kicking in soon-if you don't go up this season I'd bet you won't have a shot for years.

And are being cleared off slowly, we're getting ready for FFP & actually we own the ground - build yourself a bridge and get over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And are being cleared off slowly, we're getting ready for FFP & actually we own the ground - build yourself a bridge and get over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's owned by the Thais' holding company. Most Leicester fans I know don't share your optimism.

It's owned by the Thais' holding company. Most Leicester fans I know don't share your optimism.

What optimism? I accept that financially it's a risky game entrusting the safety of the club to a businessman, but the point I am repeatedly trying to make is: We are not spending as much as the media would like to claim, it's utter nonsense and hasn't been remotely accurate in near enough 18 months.
What optimism? I accept that financially it's a risky game entrusting the safety of the club to a businessman, but the point I am repeatedly trying to make is: We are not spending as much as the media would like to claim, it's utter nonsense and hasn't been remotely accurate in near enough 18 months.

Suppose we'll see for sure when the club accounts get released if they haven't already been. You're far from the only ones and to be honest English football's in for a massive financial reality check sooner or later. Cardiff have racked up an obscenity.
I am very surprised they sacked Dean Saunders, I would have thought he would at least be given the chance to try and get Wolves back up.
Reply 8748
As a Swindon fan it was pretty gutting to lose the way we did, especially considering the blunder at the end of the season.

Considering the all the murky stuff going on with the owners and board, I'm not very positive about what's going to happen in the Summer.
Original post by AGumby
As a Swindon fan it was pretty gutting to lose the way we did, especially considering the blunder at the end of the season.

Considering the all the murky stuff going on with the owners and board, I'm not very positive about what's going to happen in the Summer.

Yeah doesn't seem very clear what is going on behind the scenes there.
Reply 8750
Suppose we'll see for sure when the club accounts get released if they haven't already been. You're far from the only ones and to be honest English football's in for a massive financial reality check sooner or later. Cardiff have racked up an obscenity.

In the 11/12 season we made the biggest loss ever (29m?) and the Sven era was a complete disaster a truly woeful manager. Pearson has come in and tried to cut costs but it's impossible to get rid of average players on super high wages. Personally think we should stick with Pearson even if don't go up, sacking managers has got us nowhere.
Original post by DP-LCFC
In the 11/12 season we made the biggest loss ever (29m?) and the Sven era was a complete disaster a truly woeful manager. Pearson has come in and tried to cut costs but it's impossible to get rid of average players on super high wages. Personally think we should stick with Pearson even if don't go up, sacking managers has got us nowhere.

To think the last time Fergie planned on retiring, Sven was close to succeeding him...

We really dodged a bullet there.
We might have got in the news for a few days I thought, as the search for a new manager continued. Sadly some guy called SAF is retiring, so that put that to bed.

This is a football league thread - but to a true legend of management, love him or hate him I salute him for his contribution to the game (and Nandos being opened for 5 more minutes today) :undefined:congrats[/

Original post by Scott129
Nigel Clough now the longest serving manager in the Championship :biggrin:

In other news, we've agreed a deal for Burnley 'keeper Lee Grant to come home. Seems to be highly-rated there (won Player Of The Year ahead of Austin) but he was poor when we first had him. He has my full support nevertheless :yy:

Lee Grant will see you through, one of the finest keepers in recent years to serve at Hillsborough and won many a point for us. He pretty much kept us (wednesday) up in 08/09 season. His shot stopping was impressive but sadly his communication, set pieces and aerial ability was a bit lacking. Shame we were forced to sell him for a measly 500k to be honest and I assume he's only gotten better with more game time.
Just bought my play-off final tickets. Couldn't get any in the designated singing block, which is a **** concept but I still wanted to sit there. Means we're selling out fast, which is great news. The nerves are beginning to give me complete paralysis.
Original post by Jangrafess
Just bought my play-off final tickets. Couldn't get any in the designated singing block, which is a **** concept but I still wanted to sit there. Means we're selling out fast, which is great news. The nerves are beginning to give me complete paralysis.

Enjoy the day. I never do because we know we always mess up so nobody expects anything from it. I would love to go to see the Blades play at Wembley in a cup final, even the JPT as play off games are awful if you're team is involved!

Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Lee Grant will see you through, one of the finest keepers in recent years to serve at Hillsborough and won many a point for us. He pretty much kept us (wednesday) up in 08/09 season. His shot stopping was impressive but sadly his communication, set pieces and aerial ability was a bit lacking. Shame we were forced to sell him for a measly 500k to be honest and I assume he's only gotten better with more game time.

Yeah, great keeper without a doubt. Having said that, it was his communication and coming for crosses that made us sell him first time around. According to Burnley fans though, he's improved so much in those respects.
Original post by DP-LCFC

Sven wouldn't have negotiated the transfer fees or players' contracts-somebody else at the club sanctioned all of those and I would be surprised if they're still employed. Needless to say you will be lumbered with those bills for some time if you don't go up in the play-offs; the Leicester fans I know acknowledge it has been one massive gamble under the Thais.

Had Cardiff not been promoted this season with then their annual attempts at buying promotion would've caught up with them. They're the worst of the lot.
http://www.wfcforums.com/showthread.php?46875-Weird-Feeling! - The **** is wrong with the watford fans? "it's like their cup final" - It's the bloody play-offs, win and wembley, as well as possibly £120m and the top flight await, lose and you get nothing: who the hell doesn't see it as more than just another game?
http://www.wfcforums.com/showthread.php?46875-Weird-Feeling! - The **** is wrong with the watford fans? "it's like their cup final" - It's the bloody play-offs, win and wembley, as well as possibly £120m and the top flight await, lose and you get nothing: who the hell doesn't see it as more than just another game?

I wonder if they'll loan Buffon in as cover. Perhaps they could loan Barcelona if they go up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest