The Student Room Group

English literature GCSE revision

Hey guys,
I need some help and advice on how to revise for the GCSE English literature exam. The books I am studying for it are Lord of the flies and Of Mice and Men.
I need to learn key themes, characters, quotes etc... for thar A* I'm aiming for :biggrin:
Any help much appreciated
Reply 1
I'd really recommend completing some past paper questions on the books that you're studying. It'll give you an idea about the format that they are usually asked in, however revising for literature is difficult :unimpressed:

I've also made some summaries on what you've mentioned - key themes, characters, quotes etc - so that I can quickly recap on things that are likely to come up in the exam.

Sites like BBC Bitesize may also be of use, albeit occasionally limited. I've also got a CGP revision guide for OMAM, which is great for revision in short bursts, and I'd recommend it. I assume they have one available for Lord of the flies as well, however I can't comment on that because I'm studying OMAM with An Inspector Calls.

Good luck with your exam :biggrin:
Reply 2
If you have copies of the texts, read them as many times as possible, looking for new meaning with each reading. The more familiar you are with a text, the more likely you are to give insightful and imaginative interpretations which is what the examiner is looking for for an A* grade.
Reply 3
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
I shall take in to consideration what both of you have said :tongue:
www.revision-notes.com is such a good revision website! All the notes are uploaded by people who got A*s in their GCSES and I used their notes for my GCSES and found them so useful!

Good luck!

Ella x
Reply 5
3 years later and this is helping similar people like me who have the same questions that arbucks (OP) had. Thanks for your replies - hope things went well for all of you ^_ ^
Reply 6
Original post by revision-notes
www.revision-notes.com is such a good revision website! All the notes are uploaded by people who got A*s in their GCSES and I used their notes for my GCSES and found them so useful!

Good luck!

Ella x

what did you get in English literature?
Has anyone got any effective revision techniques for poetry?
analyse each line of the poems on an a3 paper so a new paper for each poem and do detailed analysis and keep reading it and explain it to your self and also try doing comparison essays with different poems
Original post by fatimaaa_x
analyse each line of the poems on an a3 paper so a new paper for each poem and do detailed analysis and keep reading it and explain it to your self and also try doing comparison essays with different poems

Hi, i was looking through threads so i can find help, because I'm really confused.
So, I've been resitting my English language for 4 times now, and i get an A every time. I don't think an A is a bad grade, but I need an A* for Uni requirements. I was told by some of my friends that doing English Literature in place of English Language is a more guaranteed A*.
What do you think? Is it better than English Language? and if so which board (Edexcel or CIE) has an easier A*, syllabus and grade boundary wise.

Hope you see this :smile: Thanks in advance.
Reply 10
HEY
did you pay for every revion subjects?
I'm studying for my GCSEs currently. I will be sitting them in May this year!
Its hard to study for English Lit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending