The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmperorMustard

Would love to know how a Spurs squad that has been carried by Bale all year is better than ours.

Whats different between Spurs + Bale and Arsenal + RvP last year? He left, you were fine, where's the basis for thinking Spurs would be any different , especially considering RvP carried you more + Bale would sell for more.
Original post by mikeyd85
I'm sure I've read that Arsenal are going to have more funds available this year. Am I just making that up?

We've heard that every summer since they sold Toure & Adebayor to City.

As much as i'd love to see Arsenal become a title rival again it's not going to happen next year. Their squad isn't remotely good enough compared to us, City or Chelsea who will all strengthen further before next season. They'd need to spend £100m plus in the summer to have any chance of closing the gap, and can anyone really see them doing that?
I'm sure I've read that Arsenal are going to have more funds available this year. Am I just making that up?

I'll believe that when I see it. Us, City and Chelsea all have stronger squads and will probably all spend more than Arsenal even if they do splash the cash more than usual. I'd still be suprised if they won the title. There will probably be a lot less points separating the teams at the top next season though.
Original post by zKlown
Mate, have you seen your team defend corners?

Sorry for thinking there was more to defending that just defending corners :awesome:

Original post by Tommyjw
Whats different between Spurs + Bale and Arsenal + RvP last year? He left, you were fine, where's the basis for thinking Spurs would be any different , especially considering RvP carried you more + Bale would sell for more.

When we lost RVP we replaced him by improving the squad as a whole (spreading the load) rather than going for a direct replacement.

But we're not talking about what Spurs might do - indeed you're right if they lost Bale they might be fine if they replace him like we replaced RVP - but right now even with Bale their squad is weaker than ours, especially beyond the first 11.
Original post by sr90
We've heard that every summer since they sold Toure & Adebayor to City.

As much as i'd love to see Arsenal become a title rival again it's not going to happen next year. Their squad isn't remotely good enough compared to us, City or Chelsea who will all strengthen further before next season. They'd need to spend £100m plus in the summer to have any chance of closing the gap, and can anyone really see them doing that?

No. :sad:

I miss the days of Arsenal v United. They were ace.
No. :sad:

I miss the days of Arsenal v United. They were ace.

Yeah :sad: Our two victories from 04/05 are still some of my favourite games ever.

Original post by EmperorMustard
Sorry for thinking there was more to defending that just defending corners :awesome:

When we lost RVP we replaced him by improving the squad as a whole (spreading the load) rather than going for a direct replacement.

But we're not talking about what Spurs might do - indeed you're right if they lost Bale they might be fine if they replace him like we replaced RVP - but right now even with Bale their squad is weaker than ours, especially beyond the first 11.

Sorry - can't see it, if Villas Boas and Wenger could lift any players from the other team who would they pick (even Bale excluded) Dembele, Lloris, Walker and even Dawson for me. Wilshere has barely played but maybe Koscielny, Cazorla and Walcott? I like Arsenal and miss them as a rival but Spurs have a superior squad in my opinion, Arsenal would just be able to cope better as they are more solid as a unit. Undecided who I'd rather see get the champions league spot....imagine if you'se got Rooney :eek:
Original post by DaveSmith99
I'll believe that when I see it. Us, City and Chelsea all have stronger squads and will probably all spend more than Arsenal even if they do splash the cash more than usual. I'd still be suprised if they won the title. There will probably be a lot less points separating the teams at the top next season though.

Whoever gets the City job, yes. Chelsea I don't know, unless it's Jose the reception from the fans could cost them that title challenge.

Benitez for City anyone.....? :rolleyes:
Original post by sr90
Yeah :sad: Our two victories from 04/05 are still some of my favourite games ever.

The Van Nistelrooy penalty in the first game is still one of my all time favourite goals, taking everything into perspective. Love Ruud.
Julien Laurens, football journalist for French newspaper Le Parisien, says on Twitter: "Very reliable sources tell Le Parisien that Sir Alex Ferguson called Carlo Ancelotti last week to ask him to succeed him. He was surprised and flattered but politely declined the offer. So Sir Alex Ferguson then turned to second choice David Moyes."

thoughts?
Turns out that YouGov poll I did last week was for The Sun.

These are the results. Only 1% name Jock Stein as greatest ever British manager (ignorant swines). SAF gets 49% of votes.

Djemba-Djemba gets 9% of votes for worst signing just ahead of Owen, Hargreaves and Bebe. Ralph Milne only gets 2%...been a long time I suppose.

Cantona gets selected as best ever signing. RvP gets 4% of the votes - twice as many as RvN and Rooney.

This is the first, and probably only time, I'll ever read a Sun article let alone link to one!
Original post by River85
Turns out that YouGov poll I did last week was for The Sun.

These are the results. Only 1% name Jock Stein as greatest ever British manager (ignorant swines). SAF gets 49% of votes.

Djemba-Djemba gets 9% of votes for worst signing just ahead of Owen, Hargreaves and Bebe. Ralph Milne only gets 2%...been a long time I suppose.

Cantona gets selected as best ever signing. RvP gets 4% of the votes - twice as many as RvN and Rooney.

This is the first, and probably only time, I'll ever read a Sun article let alone link to one!

Some of them votes are ridiculous imo. Under the best signing category they have Giggs Beckham and Scholes who all came through the youth system.
Under the worst signings they have Hagreaves, he played a big part in the 2008 champs and league success, no way should he be in that category even with his injuries and what he did after.

Still love that last goal from O'Shea.

Can't even believe he did that himself. :biggrin:
Original post by River85

Hargreaves? Poor guy.
Original post by Zerforax
Julien Laurens, football journalist for French newspaper Le Parisien, says on Twitter: "Very reliable sources tell Le Parisien that Sir Alex Ferguson called Carlo Ancelotti last week to ask him to succeed him. He was surprised and flattered but politely declined the offer. So Sir Alex Ferguson then turned to second choice David Moyes."

thoughts?

Personally think it's BS, I'm sure Moyes has been top of SAF's list for the last few years.
Original post by NathanW18
Still love that last goal from O'Shea.

Can't even believe he did that himself. :biggrin:

Ronaldo 2.36, so fast man.
Weird to think just how long Rooney has been at Manchester United, after watching those videos.

Maybe we're being harsh on him, it's quite possible that he may just have become disgruntled with life in Manchester.
David Moyes quotes from him addressing Cambridge University Union

Spoiler

Original post by Cutmeloose
Weird to think just how long Rooney has been at Manchester United, after watching those videos.

Maybe we're being harsh on him, it's quite possible that he may just have become disgruntled with life in Manchester.

-Questions the clubs ambitions, threatens to join City then ends up staying after securing himself a massive pay increase
-Wins the fans back, says the contract saga was the biggest mistake of his career, saying he loves playing for the club, wants to end his career here and intends on doing so
-Club does as he personally asked before and brings in a world class player, Rooney comes back fat, sulks and hands in a transfer request.

We're not being too harsh on him, the club has given him everything he has ever wanted and he rewards us with 2 transfer requests in 3 years. Rooney can get ****ed. Plenty of players around the world would love to play for us, I don't want to suffer this horrible scouse **** any longer.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Rooney comes back fat, sulks and hands in a transfer request.

How dare Rooney not enjoy being shifted around, not enjoy being subbed when players around him play worse. Maybe he wants a change? Maybe he wants a better city? Maybe he felt he has achieved everything at United and wants to add some other titles to his collection? It is his career, not the fans, if he thinks he wants to end his career in Paris with his family and win a different title then there isn't anything wrong with it.

Being annoyed at him for his previous contract thing is clearly acceptable, that was ****ing annoying even if there was truth behind United lacking ambition at the time, but being annoyed at him for simply not wanting to play for the club.. to whatever degree he doesn't want to.. is just bitter.

Latest