The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Higher candidate
25 was B if it was the one about enzyme activity cos it decreased by half

No i think that was question 6
For the one about meiosis I put the chromosomes would be separated. Would that be right?
For the question about which kind of cell is this (the reed one) would it have been acceptable to say meristematic since it is at the root so that is an area of growth:/?:s-smilie: someone tell meeeee
Reply 223
cannot get over how horrible that paper! never seen anything like it, too much problem solving and not enough knowledge.
Reply 224
On the hummingbird question it said that they breed during summer, I said the increase in body mass could be due to pregnancy is there any way that might be right?
Reply 225
Original post by shannonfairley
For the question about which kind of cell is this (the reed one) would it have been acceptable to say meristematic since it is at the root so that is an area of growth:/?:s-smilie: someone tell meeeee

I said root hair cell and the large extension presented a large surface area for absorbing water

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
This exam was awful! Really unfair I think, way too many problem solving questions and not enough on knowledge. I've been getting A's all year AND and in all of the past papers I've done (all of them since 2001). An A in higher biology was my condition to my first choice university but I think this exam has sent that right down the drain. :/

Does anybody have the question paper they could scan?
I didn't have enough time to check over my answers so that would really put my mind at ease.
Original post by rc16
On the hummingbird question it said that they breed during summer, I said the increase in body mass could be due to pregnancy is there any way that might be right?
<br />
<br />

I was going to put that, but then I put something about a good food supply so they'd eat more and store it as fat for energy when they migrate. The reason I decided against putting it was cause I thought they layed eggs, but I don't know...
What was the multiple choice question 25 about? :smile:
Original post by Simiantics
This is correct = you could also say it increases the humidity inside the curled leaf which reduces transpiration rate.

I simply put reduced air movements which reduced wind speed thus transpiration rate lowered and less water lost.. does that suffice?

people were putting traps layer of air which i remember being correct, was mine also?
For the succession essays and then monitoring wild populations, was indicator species, endangered species, food and raw materials and pest species all relevant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stapler123
What was the multiple choice question 25 about? :smile:

it didn't make sense to me, it was like the top bit was it inhibited alot and at the beginning it wasn't but no answer seemed to fit, they all seemed wrong.

i guessed A at the end as it was better than leaving it out, that biology teacher seems to think thats right :colone:
Hi there, I know there is great discussion about the answers to the higher biology paper yesterday. But does anyone have the full mark scheme or can post it on here?
Original post by Eva_student
For the succession essays and then monitoring wild populations, was indicator species, endangered species, food and raw materials and pest species all relevant? <br />
<br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />

That's what I wrote about. I checked it in an earlier paper and yeah that's all relevant! :smile:
Original post by JackoGeddes
it didn't make sense to me, it was like the top bit was it inhibited alot and at the beginning it wasn't but no answer seemed to fit, they all seemed wrong.

i guessed A at the end as it was better than leaving it out, that biology teacher seems to think thats right :colone:

What was it being inhibited? I don't remember what the question was at all, but I put B and I think that's wrong :s-smilie:
Reply 235
Original post by doodles!123
<br />
<br />

I was going to put that, but then I put something about a good food supply so they'd eat more and store it as fat for energy when they migrate. The reason I decided against putting it was cause I thought they layed eggs, but I don't know...

Aw god I'm such an idiot haha yeah they lay eggs oh well

Original post by kayapapaya
This exam was awful! Really unfair I think, way too many problem solving questions and not enough on knowledge. I've been getting A's all year AND and in all of the past papers I've done (all of them since 2001). An A in higher biology was my condition to my first choice university but I think this exam has sent that right down the drain. :/

Does anybody have the question paper they could scan?
I didn't have enough time to check over my answers so that would really put my mind at ease.

I am in the exact same situation! I really want someone to scan the paper and put the answers up!:frown:
Reply 237
Original post by Eva_student
For the succession essays and then monitoring wild populations, was indicator species, endangered species, food and raw materials and pest species all relevant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the exact same :smile:
Reply 238
Does anyone remember what question 28 is in multiple choice I remember being stuck

Original post by rebeccaramage
I am in the exact same situation! I really want someone to scan the paper and put the answers up!:frown:

It's so frustrating, I feel like I've mucked up all up super hard work :frown: I know, that would be really helpful. Hope someone puts the answers up soon...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending