The Student Room Group

Confusion over access course fees...

Hey guys

I'm hearing lots about people paying for access course fees. I'm planning to do mine full time in wales in college - no mention has been made about fees. The website makes no mention either, other than to say most full time courses incur no fees. Are the people concerned going to a uni to do theirs and thats where the fee comes in?

Any clarification would be appreciated x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jojothejo
Hey guys

I'm hearing lots about people paying for access course fees. I'm planning to do mine full time in wales in college - no mention has been made about fees. The website makes no mention either, other than to say most full time courses incur no fees. Are the people concerned going to a uni to do theirs and thats where the fee comes in?

Any clarification would be appreciated x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if Wales is different, as I studied mine in England. However, if you are 23 or under on the day of enrollment and it is your first level 3 qualification, you don't have to pay for your Access to HE course.

If you are 24+ or already have a level 3 qualification then you will need to pay. Access course fees are rising this year and the government has introduced the 24+ Loan to cover this.
Reply 2
The only mention the college makes in regards to fees are 'part time students may incur enrolment fees'. Access there is classed as 'further education'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only mention the college makes in regards to fees are 'part time students may incur enrolment fees'. Access there is classed as 'further education'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah Access is definitely 'Further Education'. How old are you and do you hold a level 3 qualification already? Ie A Levels, BTEC etc
Reply 4
28 and yeah - I've got a degree. Looking at the nus website - it might be different for me as a welsh student, it only makes mention of previous qualifications in the 'student in england' bit. Under wales it simply states it depends on the college. Confusing :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
28 and yeah - I've got a degree. Looking at the nus website - it might be different for me as a welsh student, it only makes mention of previous qualifications in the 'student in england' bit. Under wales it simply states it depends on the college. Confusing :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, as I said I am not familiar with the system in Wales. Best thing I can suggest is to ring the college?
Reply 6
I've got my interview Monday so will check then - just wanting to save myself a few days of worrying. Thanks for your input x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
As it turns out - no payment needed for full time courses regardless of age/experience. Good news x
As it turns out - no payment needed for full time courses regardless of age/experience. Good news x

Ah that's good news! Good luck on your new course in September then :biggrin:
Reply 9
God, maybe I should go to Wales, it's going to cost me £900 to do mine!
Reply 10
You should! It's nice here :smile:
Hi, i am worrying about access course fees at the mo. All courses for people on benefits were free but changes are coming in now so everybody over 24 has to pay regardless of their situation. My husband has just had major surgery so we are living on disability benefits, we have no idea if he will ever return to work. I want to better myself and give us a more secure future, but having to apply for loans in our situation is very daunting x
Reply 12
AuntySazzles - Are you planning to do an access course then go on to university? I BELIEVE (but dont take my word for this) that if you take out a "24+ loan" for an access course, then complete the course, get a place at university and complete your degree course, you dont have to pay back the 24+ loan.

Also, if you take any student loan option, you dont pay anything back until you're earning (I think it's now) £21k.

Ruth
Reply 13
Im 27 and got mine for free? With my college, it's dependent on how much you earn. I even got £600 from the college for 85%+ attendance.

Thats in Manchester btw.

P.S. I wasn't on benefits either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Ruthus
AuntySazzles - Are you planning to do an access course then go on to university? I BELIEVE (but dont take my word for this) that if you take out a "24+ loan" for an access course, then complete the course, get a place at university and complete your degree course, you dont have to pay back the 24+ loan.

Also, if you take any student loan option, you dont pay anything back until you're earning (I think it's now) £21k.

Ruth

This is true. I'm 24, my access course costs £3000 but I'm getting a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan and if I go to university after (which I plan to) the loan gets wiped off.
Original post by AaronC11
Im 27 and got mine for free? With my college, it's dependent on how much you earn. I even got £600 from the college for 85%+ attendance.

Thats in Manchester btw.

P.S. I wasn't on benefits either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's pretty sweet. I'm 29 and I had to pay, albeit only £350.
Hi guys,
my college did say the loan gets wiped out if i go to uni and get the degree. I dont like looking on the negative side of things, but what if i dont succeed at uni for what ever reason? I dont want to be left with a loan and no degree either.
When your in my situation and dont have much confidence its very daunting x
Original post by AuntySazzles
Hi guys,
my college did say the loan gets wiped out if i go to uni and get the degree. I dont like looking on the negative side of things, but what if i dont succeed at uni for what ever reason? I dont want to be left with a loan and no degree either.
When your in my situation and dont have much confidence its very daunting x

If you don't complete your undergraduate studies, you would have to pay the loan back once you start earning over £21,000 pa.
Thanks ExWunderkind,
I wasnt sure where I would stand with paying it back x
Hi I wanted to apply for an access course for social studies, I have a NVQ Level 3 qualification but for another course but I really wanted to change it for what I really want to do, I am 21 would I have to pay for an access course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending