The Student Room Group

Core 2 Question Help !

The gradient of a curve is 6x^2 + 12x^1/2. The curve passes through the points (4,10). Find the equation of the curve. What would i do from start to finish ?

Also another question when differentiation this x - 3/x^2, Would do i do with the 3/x^2?
Reply 1
Original post by Timmy12321
The gradient of a curve is 6x^2 + 12x^1/2. The curve passes through the points (4,10). Find the equation of the curve. What would i do from start to finish ?

If you know the gradient, you can integrate it to find the equation of the curve. When you integrate, you will get an arbitrary constant CC, which you should work out using the fact that the curve passes through the point (4,10).

Also another question when differentiation this x - 3/x^2, Would do i do with the 3/x^2?

Writing 3x2=3x2\dfrac{3}{x^2} = 3x^{-2} should help.
Reply 2

I used to have trouble with these kinds of problems. He's right, writing 3x2=3x2\dfrac{3}{x^2} = 3x^{-2} should help but in order to understand why, you should probably re-visit Indices from Core 1. The main thing you need to know though is that 1x=x1\dfrac{1}{x} = x^{-1} and so 1x2=x2\dfrac{1}{x^2} = x^{-2} The only difference now is when you have a numerator but if you think about 1x2=1x2\dfrac{1}{x^2} = 1x^{-2} then it is easy to work out.

This is an integration question. 6x^2 + 12x^(1/2) becomes 2x^3 + 8x^(3/2) + c = y. Remember, add one to the power, divide by the new power. To find the full equation, sub in your given points, (4,10) 2(4)^3+8(4)(2)+c=10 which becomes 128+64+c=10 c=-182

Therefore the answer is 2x^3 + 8x^(3/2) - 182 = y

The second question is the same as asking for dy/dx of x-3x^(-2). The reverse rule to above applies, nax^(n-1) is the differential. So dy/dx=1+6/(x^3) or 1+6x^(-3). Because -3x x -2 = 6x -2-1=-3

Or at least I hope I'm right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks guys, one last question what about this differentiation 20 x^4 + 6x^-3/2
Thanks guys, one last question what about this differentiation 20 x^4 + 6x^-3/2

I think 80x^3 - 9x^(-2.5), but don't take my word for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
20 x^4 + 6x^-3/2

dy/dx = 80x^3 - 9x^-5/2
(edited 10 years ago)

You're given f'(x). Integrate and you will get f(x), but remember there is a constant that needs finding. f(4)=10 and now find the constant.

I swear this a C1 question.
Original post by Angryification
You're given f'(x). Integrate and you will get f(x), but remember there is a constant that needs finding. f(4)=10 and now find the constant.

I swear this a C1 question.

It became a C2 question the minute you were given coordinates technically. Before that it is C1 indefinite integration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
It became a C2 question the minute you were given coordinates technically. Before that it is C1 indefinite integration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can be given coordinates in C1.
Original post by Angryification
You can be given coordinates in C1.

Depends what exam board.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
Depends what exam board.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think OCR don't do it in C1 and keep finite integration to C2

Quick Reply