The Student Room Group

Is it worth me retaking my A Levels?

Hey all,

I've just finished my first year at University doing a Management degree (Bsc), my A Levels were poor but my University let me in due to passing with BCC and my extenuating circumstances at the time.

During my first year I developed the realisation that my A Levels would hinder my chances at applying for some placements during Year 3 and some graduate schemes at the end.

I say some, I mean 75% of the ones I was targeting.

Most places I was looking at want BBB, I have BCC.

Is it worth me redoing two exams, Business and Philosophy + Ethics to get the grades, I was only 4 UMS away from an A in Business and 10 UMS away from a B in Philosophy?

I took my A2s in 2010 with AQA and OCR.. or has it been too long?

I've hit a high 2:1/first at University provisionally already (just awaiting some final results to confirm that I got a first) and there are no problems in my life currently, i'm totally focused now and I wanna ensure i'm not disappointed when it comes to applying to grad schemes, I accept I can't apply for any good placements.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Toki_Premium
Hey all,

I've just finished my first year at University doing a Management degree (Bsc), my A Levels were poor but my University let me in due to passing with BCC and my extenuating circumstances at the time.

During my first year I developed the realisation that my A Levels would hinder my chances at applying for some placements during Year 3 and some graduate schemes at the end.

Is it worth me redoing two exams, Business and Philosophy + Ethics to get the grades, I was only 4 UMS away from an A in Business and 10 UMS away from a B in Philosophy?

I've hit a high 2:1/first at University provisionally already (just awaiting some final results to confirm that I got a first) and there are no problems in my life currently, i'm totally focused now and I wanna ensure i'm not disappointed when it comes to applying to grad schemes, I accept I can't apply for any good placements.

The specifications are still live so you could re-sit, but you've almost certainly left it too late for this year (unless you're prepared to pay very late fees and revise like mad for an A2 exam in a couple of weeks) so your next chance would be summer 2014.
Reply 2
Original post by Data
The specifications are still live so you could re-sit, but you've almost certainly left it too late for this year (unless you're prepared to pay very late fees and revise like mad for an A2 exam in a couple of weeks) so your next chance would be summer 2014.

Or January 2014 lol?

I was undecided as I wanted to ensure I got a good grade for year 1 so was gonna begin this summer...

Do you think its worth resitting?

Alot of people have told me not to bother and to get a good degree classification with a wealth of experience which is what i'm aiming for at the moment.
Reply 3
Or January 2014 lol?

I was undecided as I wanted to ensure I got a good grade for year 1 so was gonna begin this summer...

Alot of people have told me not to bother and to get a good degree classification with a wealth of experience which is what i'm aiming for at the moment.

Gove has abolished January exams - 2103 was the last year for them - so it is the Summer or never.
Reply 4
Hey all,

You've got a pretty good grade so far so you're obviously intelligent, it may be worth it!

However don't re-do the whole things, look at your grades and just re-take the modules that are dragging you down, or else you will be snowed down with work! I've already resat a couple of AS and they are unbelievably easy if you put any form of work into them!
Reply 5
Original post by Data
Gove has abolished January exams - 2103 was the last year for them - so it is the Summer or never.

Omg i'm gutted!

Thanks for the info, this is how you know i'm getting old.
Reply 6
Original post by christanmu
You've got a pretty good grade so far so you're obviously intelligent, it may be worth it!

However don't re-do the whole things, look at your grades and just re-take the modules that are dragging you down, or else you will be snowed down with work! I've already resat a couple of AS and they are unbelievably easy if you put any form of work into them!

Thanks for the advice, will do that.

:-)
Or January 2014 lol?

Okay, I'm in a similar situation to you and I'm currently in the process of resitting some exams so when the time comes for me to apply for the graduate scheme on my placement year I would stand a better chance. It's not to much of a hard work doing just a couple of exams if you're well prepared. I have a friend who is gradating this year and he does Business Management and he has said to me companies have rejected him because he did not achieve the necessary 340/360 ucas points for their grad schemes, he was just 20 points short. So it depends where you're applying, I think some are quite strict but I believe also you can only resit exams in June next year because thats a new policy for alevel students- i would double check.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Casshern1456
Okay, I'm in a similar situation to you and I'm currently in the process of resitting some exams so when the time comes for me to apply for the graduate scheme on my placement year I would stand a better chance. It's not to much of a hard work doing just a couple of exams if you're well prepared. I have a friend who is gradating this year and he does Business Management and he has said to me companies have rejected him because he did not achieve the necessary 340/360 ucas points for their grad schemes, he was just 20 points short. So it depends where you're applying, I think some are quite strict but I believe also you can only resit exams in June next year because thats a new policy for alevel students- i would double check.

Thanks for the reply.
It seems like you were more prepared than me as i'm gonna have to sit them alongside my Uni exams but its only two exams so hopefully they go well.

I feel like my style of writing essays has improved alot since I went to Uni and hopefully this helps me with my UMS.

Good luck to you. :-)
Reply 9
Thanks for the reply.
It seems like you were more prepared than me as i'm gonna have to sit them alongside my Uni exams but its only two exams so hopefully they go well.

I feel like my style of writing essays has improved alot since I went to Uni and hopefully this helps me with my UMS.

Good luck to you. :-)

i realise this is old, but how did it go? i might do that next year in Uni to bring up my C in Biology to a B as I'm only 10 ums off currently, if my re mark does not go to plan

Quick Reply

Latest