The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Biologys definition of standard deviation is Stupid. :hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please help with the oxygen dissociation curve thing in the most simplest terms possible getting really confused
Original post by Suzanna5678
Can someone please help with the oxygen dissociation curve thing in the most simplest terms possible getting really confused

You should try getrevising.com there are some really good resources on oxygen dissociation curves on there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Suzanna5678

I remember someone saying about how they remember oxygen dissociation curves "Carbon Dioxide, that's right boring!".

Well, the further it is to the left, the easier it picks up oxygen, however, they are typically not as athletic because it has a higher affinity for oxygen than other animals. A common example AQA uses will either be Llamas or Birds of some sort.

They may compare it to animals which live close to sea level such as horses and humans.

So, llamas will have an oxygen dissociation curve further to the left because they can pick up oxygen easier than horses who would be to the right, however, the llamas would have a harder time releasing the oxygen from their haemoglobin. That's why you see horses running and not llamas - because horses can drop off oxygen to respiring cells easier. :tongue:

Understand?
(edited 10 years ago)
Could somebody tell me what we need to know about meiosis? Explain as if you're telling a child but use the correct terminology please hahah
Original post by lauraaaaa
Could somebody tell me what we need to know about meiosis? Explain as if you're telling a child but use the correct terminology please hahah

I will!!
Meiosis is the division of cells that produces four genetically NON-IDENTICAL daughter cells. These cells are the gametes (sex cells)
There are multiple stages of meiosis:

Interphase
Prophase1
Metaphase1
Anaphase1
Telophase1
Prophase2
Metaphase2
Anaphase2
Telophase2

Perhaps this picture will help??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please feel free to pm me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 607
Original post by eilish1903
I will!!
Meiosis is the division of cells that produces four genetically NON-IDENTICAL daughter cells. These cells are the gametes (sex cells)

Interphase
Prophase1
Metaphase1
Anaphase1
Telophase1
Prophase2
Metaphase2
Anaphase2
Telophase2

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't need to know about all the different stages of meiosis do we??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 608
Does anyone have any good revision sites for unit 2 - I'm getting bored with the textbook :redface:

Thanks
Original post by eilish1903
I will!!

Interphase
Prophase1
Metaphase1
Anaphase1
Telophase1
Prophase2
Metaphase2
Anaphase2
Telophase2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what happens in each of those stages because they are the same as mitosis, but is there an difference between meiosis 1 and meiosis 2 in terms of these stages? Sorry I can't read your diagram haha
I know what happens in each of those stages because they are the same as mitosis, but is there an difference between meiosis 1 and meiosis 2 in terms of these stages? Sorry I can't read your diagram haha

There isn't really a difference. It is just that Meiosis 1 goes straight into prophase and skips interphase completely.
Original post by Scienceisgood
There isn't really a difference. It is just that Meiosis 1 goes straight into prophase and skips interphase completely.

It does? My textbook doesn't say that :l
It does? My textbook doesn't say that :l

I think the way I worded it was completely disgusting...
Let me explain it again.

Meiosis 1 =

Interphase
Prophase
Metaphase
Anaphase
Telophase
Cytokenises

Meiosis 2 =
Prophase
Metaphase
Anaphase
Telophase
Cyotokenises

Note Meiosis 2 completely misses out interphase?

EDIT:
I attached an image of meisosis on here AGES ago, link is below;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=208818&d=1365857522

EDIT2:
Typed into "Metaphase 2" rather than "Meiosis 2" by mistake! DX
(edited 10 years ago)
I think the way I worded it was completely disgusting...
Let me explain it again.

Meiosis 1 =

Interphase
Prophase
Metaphase
Anaphase
Telophase
Cytokenises

Meiosis 2 =
Prophase
Metaphase
Anaphase
Telophase
Cyotokenises

Note Metaphase 2 completely misses out interphase?

EDIT:
I attached an image of meisosis on here AGES ago, link is below;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=208818&d=1365857522

You said meiosis 1 the first time! That's why I was confused! I basically just wanted to know when independent segregation (metaphase?) and crossing over (prophase) occur.
Hi, i was wondering do we need to be able to draw the structure of beta glucose?
Reply 615
Could someone help me out with question 4 from January 2010
The dissociation curve for people living at high altitudes (less oxygen) is towards the right of the the curve for people living at sea level (more oxygen). Surely the people living at high altitudes would have a higher affinity for oxygen than the people living at sea level so the curve for high altitude would be towards the left, but its not..
Could somebody explain why its not towards the left :s-smilie:
Original post by Sapphire123
Hi, i was wondering do we need to be able to draw the structure of beta glucose?

I doubt you would be asked to draw it, definitely identify but not draw. =l
Original post by SonamH
Could someone help me out with question 4 from January 2010
The dissociation curve for people living at high altitudes (less oxygen) is towards the right of the the curve for people living at sea level (more oxygen). Surely the people living at high altitudes would have a higher affinity for oxygen than the people living at sea level so the curve for high altitude would be towards the left, but its not..
Could somebody explain why its not towards the left :s-smilie:

It's because if it was to the left, it would not be able to drop off the oxygen to respiring cells. =l

The further left it goes, the tighter it holds onto the oxygen meaning it is easier to pick up, but harder to drop off.
Reply 618
It's because if it was to the left, it would not be able to drop off the oxygen to respiring cells. =l

The further left it goes, the tighter it holds onto the oxygen meaning it is easier to pick up, but harder to drop off.

But at higher altitudes, there is less oxygen so the affinity would be higher in order to ensure it can associate oxygen more readily..
I doubt you would be asked to draw it, definitely identify but not draw. =l

ok, thanks because i saw it on the specification, but it failed to mention if it was necessary to be able to draw it or just identify it

Latest

Trending

Trending