The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4540
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
Why would Sir Alex lie to the media and say that Rooney did hand in a transfer request? Rooney probably did hand in a transfer request but is now probably regretting it either cause a new manager is coming in or cause theres no offer from another club who wants to pay him the wage he is on currently on

He always lies to the media. Didn't he say something like he wasn't going to retire in an interview a few days before he announced his retirement? But I do believe that here he's telling the truth. Otherwise if it was a lie, Rooney and his agent should have vehemently denied it straight after SAF stated it.
Original post by Akkuz
I can tell this summers rumour mills are going to be exactly the same day in day out... :lol:

Fellaini to Utd
Fabregas to Utd
Ronaldo to Utd
Baines to Utd
Modrid to Utd
Rooney to Real Madrid
Rooney to PSG

:yawn:

Madrid to Utd?! Boy we'd have some team if that happened. :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4542
Does anybody think pogba would go to arsenal... I think that's pure BS tbh why would a young talent leave a championship wining team where he played a key role to scrape for 4 place? And it's a World Cup year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasidb
He always lies to the media. Didn't he say something like he wasn't going to retire in an interview a few days before he announced his retirement? But I do believe that here he's telling the truth. Otherwise if it was a lie, Rooney and his agent should have vehemently denied it straight after SAF stated it.

Tbh neither the club nor Rooney are clarifying the position. When a player hands in an official transfer request there is usually many more sources saying it too. People like Ballague who come out and confirm things. This time it was just SAF, nothing else, thus i still don't believe the request was as official as SAF and people are making it out to be.

SAF should have just kept quiet tbh. He has just made a harder situation for the club, Moyes and the transition.

Can you imagine how much harder this has been on Moyes because the whole world knows/believes what SAF said? Even if Rooneys request was official and was defnitive that he wanted to leave, no-one on his side said so, we had no clue at all. That means, at the very least, Rooney wanted to keep what was happening inside the club unlike last time. For SAF to bring it outside the club is just putting unfair pressure on Rooney + Moyes when it could and should have been dealt with privately.
Original post by qasidb

That's very different, however. There is a clear and rational reason why he lied about his retirement.

Not that I'm saying he didn't lie. Don't care much, quite frankly :p:

Original post by VQG
What players are these then? A club the size of Manchester United can't afford to have players who think they're bigger than the club. Or else it'd be a circus like Madrid. It's different for other clubs, but I'd say in terms of man management he's been spot on with every player during his time here. .

Cantona? And Keane got away with a lot before he eventually left.

I think this "no player is bigger than the club" is garbage, quite frankly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by VQG
What players are these then? A club the size of Manchester United can't afford to have players who think they're bigger than the club. Or else it'd be a circus like Madrid. It's different for other clubs, but I'd say in terms of man management he's been spot on with every player during his time here. .

Cantona? And Keane got away with a lot before he eventually left.

I think this "no player is bigger than the club" is garbage, quite frankly.
Original post by Tommyjw
Tbh neither the club nor Rooney are clarifying the position. When a player hands in an official transfer request there is usually many more sources saying it too. People like Ballague who come out and confirm things. This time it was just SAF, nothing else, thus i still don't believe the request was as official as SAF and people are making it out to be.

SAF should have just kept quiet tbh. He has just made a harder situation for the club, Moyes and the transition.

Can you imagine how much harder this has been on Moyes because the whole world knows/believes what SAF said? Even if Rooneys request was official and was defnitive that he wanted to leave, no-one on his side said so, we had no clue at all. That means, at the very least, Rooney wanted to keep what was happening inside the club unlike last time. For SAF to bring it outside the club is just putting unfair pressure on Rooney + Moyes when it could and should have been dealt with privately.
It was said at the time it wasn't an official request but a verbal one.

I think the complete opposite, if Rooney has requested a transfer announcing it before Moyes had entered the frame shows it has nothing to do with him. The fact we are talking about SAF shows its worked correctly. If this had come out in summer there would be talk of the top players trying to escape a sinking ship, people not thinking Moyes is up to the task. Keeping it private is only beneficial if it all blows over, if it doesn't it looks terrible for Moyes. Public it doesn't look bad for Moyes either way, either it was a situation out of his control or he stepped in and saved the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Guys there are many players who
can do more than Rooney. Get rid of the overweight and overhyped prick
Original post by doggyfizzel

I think the complete opposite, if Rooney has requested a transfer announcing it before Moyes had entered the frame shows it has nothing to do with him. The fact we are talking about SAF shows its worker correctly. If this had come out in summer there would be talk of the top players trying to escape a sinking ship, people not thinking Moyes is up to the task. Keeping it private is only beneficial if it all blows over, if it doesn't it looks terrible for Moyes. Public it doesn't look bad for Moyes either way, either it was a situation out of his control or he stepped in and saved the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely agree with this if the first major news stories at Utd after Moyes took over, was Rooney leaving it would have been harder for the club and Moyes. By Fergie announcing it, its a Fergie problem. If he stays Moyes has done a great convincing him, if he goes, well its what everyone's now half expecting, its not really Moyes fault, so he can't really lose.
(edited 10 years ago)

Not officially it wasn't. No more official than the 'sources' claiming there wasn't even one to begin with in any way shape or form..
Apparently, Barcelona have already started selling Neymar shirts with number 11, Thiago's current number :coma: :excited:
Original post by Tommyjw
Not officially it wasn't. No more official than the 'sources' claiming there wasn't even one to begin with in any way shape or form..
There is nothing official that we know either way. But Ferguson's comment didn't mention anything about an official transfer request, he simply said he had asked for a transfer, official transfer are requested in writing. All the reports at the time were of a verbal request.

BBC
On this occasion Rooney has not submitted a formal transfer request, but it is understood he asked verbally to leave.

You cannot have a official verbal request, anymore so than the club confirming it. Unless the transfer is formal written one, sources are worthless its just rumour based on word of mouth, how could they know whether or not this had ever happen, a simple conversation between Rooney and SAF constitutes a verbal request, the best they can glean from something like that is a denial from Rooney.

The only reason I can see SAF lying about something like that happening is a suble bedding in tactic, undermining Rooney as Moyes comes in, but doing so would suggest he expected Rooney to be a problem. I've already said why I think Rooney's camp might be lying, which to me makes far more sense.
Just thinking back to 2010, didn't Rooney then hand in an OFFICIAL transfer request in writing?

This time, it's difficult to surmise what's been done but I get the feeling, Rooney might have said I might consider leaving and/or I will leave if I don't play/not told of my position at the club etc.

It's all in the air but as noted, Moyes will be praised if he convinces him to stay but there is no doubt in my mind, that Rooney would have gone had SAF stayed.
There is nothing official that we know either way. But Ferguson's comment didn't mention anything about an official transfer request, he simply said he had asked for a transfer, official transfer are requested in writing. All the reports at the time were of a verbal request.

BBC

You cannot have a official verbal request, anymore so than the club confirming it. Unless the transfer is formal written one, sources are worthless its just rumour based on word of mouth, how could they know whether or not this had ever happen, a simple conversation between Rooney and SAF constitutes a verbal request, the best they can glean from something like that is a denial from Rooney.

The only reason I can see SAF lying about something like that happening is a suble bedding in tactic, undermining Rooney as Moyes comes in, but doing so would suggest he expected Rooney to be a problem. I've already said why I think Rooney's camp might be lying, which to me makes far more sense.

Yeah, seems to me like Rooney wanted to leave because of SAF, now he knows SAF is leaving/left he wants to stay and his camp are in damage limitation mode.
Anyway when am I getting made mod of this soc
Reply 4555
Original post by retirement

When Wolves sign Messi.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by retirement

Mod or leader? Individual societies don't have moderators. Forums have moderators.
Was brought up in a discussion with a mate today, they aren't a lot of top top wingers out there. With Robben looking set to move, would you guys be happy if we sign him? It's not simply down to the Champions League Final performance. If the rumours are true and with the fee around the supposedly 10 million pounds mark.

Our wingers have had a poor season, Young out with injury, Valencia terribly out of form, Nani being Nani. Zaha is still relatively inexpericed. He's only 29 as well, even tho he doesn't look that age. I wouldn't mind seeing him come in, more likely than Bale/Ronaldo rumours :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IanLim93
Was brought up in a discussion with a mate today, they aren't a lot of top top wingers out there. With Robben looking set to move, would you guys be happy if we sign him? It's not simply down to the Champions League Final performance. If the rumours are true and with the fee around the supposedly 10 million pounds mark.

Our wingers have had a poor season, Young out with injury, Valencia terribly out of form, Nani being Nani. Zaha is still relatively young. He's only 29 as well, even tho he doesn't look that age. I wouldn't mind seeing him come in, more likely than Bale/Ronaldo rumours :P

I've been saying for time chelsea should get him. Robben is a great player, he gets complained about his selfishness, but he ran rings round dortmund the whole match, an assist and a goal too. What robben will do(like ronaldo) is that he'll create a plefora of chances.

Robben would be a great fit at united, he's defensively sound too, can switch flanks during the game(robben and nani/zaha e.g.) so will obviously add a new dimension to your game, It sounds so much of a fit for your side that it won't happen. I'd have robben in a heartbeat and think united should try for him.
There has been a general trend away from true wingers and traditional wing play in general, far more of the Hazard, Gotze type wingers who are more like wide AM's than wingers.

I'm guessing the issue with Robben would be his age, his wages and his fitness. He's only once made more than 30 apps on average he probably not making 20, and that is only going to get worse with age. He also relies a lot on pace and agility, if he loses that acceleration he's be done as player. Big risk to put him on a 3-4 year deal tbh.

Latest