The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They are also only activated in the bodily fluids I.e blood , tissue fluid (hence humoral response)

And t-lymphocytes activated by antigens on cells, defected /viral/cancerous cells and macrophages ( hence the term cell mediated response ) xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 221
Original post by wndms
Remember domain.. then King Prawn Curry Or Fat Greasy Sausages!!!!!!!! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my god we were taught that one too :P
Can someone explain to me about the Three Domains and what we need to know about it ?
Original post by HeyMickey6
Can someone explain to me about the Three Domains and what we need to know about it ?

The 3 domains are eukaryotes, archaea and bacteria

In the classification system scientists grouped the eukaryotes and the archaea together while the bacteria was separated from those 2 groups because they are different.

The classification was based on the ribosomal RNA,
It showed that the archea and eukaryotes were similar in terms of their internal function and processes that take place such that, there are proteins that are bound to their genentic material, use similar (Same) enzyme RNA polymerase and have similar mechnaism for the DNA replication.

The bacteria has no proteins bound to their genetic material, different flagella structure, different internal structure and uses different enzyme and undergoes different DNA replication.

Does this answer your question ?
Reply 224
Original post by GCSE-help
Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature by 1 degree. So Water has a high specific heat capacity, meaning it needs a lot of energy to change it's temperature. Therefore the temperature remains mostly stable, ensuring optimum conditions for enzyme and other metabolic activities.

Latent heat of vaporization is to do with the evaporation of water, you can remember it more easily by thinking of it as Latent heat of 'evaporation'. Water uses up a lot of energy, or absorbs, a lot of energy when it is evaporated. Therefore humans sweat a lot, due to it being an efficient cooling mechanism. Evaporation takes up a lot of energy, so it removes a lot of heat from the surface.

Both of these characteristics of Water molecules rise primarily from Hydrogen bonding. Hydrogen bonding is 'weak', but there are lots of hydrogen bonds, which is crucial.

Hope this helped :smile:

Thank you so much!!!! This really helped!! :biggrin:
Reply 225
Do we need to know dietary reference values? The graph for it etc?
Original post by amber206
Do we need to know dietary reference values? The graph for it etc?

I don't think so, if you need them in the exam, they'll be given to you in a printed table.
Original post by otrivine
The 3 domains are eukaryotes, archaea and bacteria

In the classification system scientists grouped the eukaryotes and the archaea together while the bacteria was separated from those 2 groups because they are different.

The classification was based on the ribosomal RNA,
It showed that the archea and eukaryotes were similar in terms of their internal function and processes that take place such that, there are proteins that are bound to their genentic material, use similar (Same) enzyme RNA polymerase and have similar mechnaism for the DNA replication.

The bacteria has no proteins bound to their genetic material, different flagella structure, different internal structure and uses different enzyme and undergoes different DNA replication.

Does this answer your question ?

that helps alot thanks :smile:
Reply 228
I think define metabolism might come up as it has never came up before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone thought of any good ways to revise in the last week? I've made mind maps, gone through the specification and done past papers averaging 69%.... Also have a CPG revision book... Not sure what to do now really.
Original post by kwlgirlbec
Anyone thought of any good ways to revise in the last week? I've made mind maps, gone through the specification and done past papers averaging 69%.... Also have a CPG revision book... Not sure what to do now really.

Look at mark schemes and see the 'ideal' answers to questions so you know what to include. Maybe make some posters?
Reply 231
Hi could someone please help me by summing up the information on pages 170-171? I just can't seem to get my head around it all and I'm just stressing out because I don't know it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucylooxo
Hi could someone please help me by summing up the information on pages 170-171? I just can't seem to get my head around it all and I'm just stressing out because I don't know it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont have the book , which topic is that :smile:
Could anybody tell me how much detail we need to know about protein synthesis? (In relation to DNA and RNA)

On the specification is says 'must be considered in outline only'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
Original post by lauren1brown
Could anybody tell me how much detail we need to know about protein synthesis? (In relation to DNA and RNA)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go on page 1 of the OCR textbook.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lauren1brown

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was in the last paper, explaining three roles of RNA. Would be surprised if they touched on it.

All you need to know is the pathway through the cell the protein takes, and the different stages. So mRNA to ribosomes, through rough ER, and then through Golgi apparatus. Then exocytosed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 236
Original post by rival_
Guys I need mnemonic to remember the way organisms(living) are classified - taxonomy.

King Peter Can't Overlook Fat Gordon's Socks
Reply 237
Original post by nerual
King Peter Can't Overlook Fat Gordon's Socks

It's not ridiculous enough :frown: I think the Domain King Curry Prawns Or Greasy Sausages might have done it haha. Thanks anyways.
Describe the structure of DNA (3)
Original post by jamesmact
That was in the last paper, explaining three roles of RNA. Would be surprised if they touched on it.

All you need to know is the pathway through the cell the protein takes, and the different stages. So mRNA to ribosomes, through rough ER, and then through Golgi apparatus. Then exocytosed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending