The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If anyone wants to revise some F212 for bio or F322 I have uploaded a video on my channel where people can ask each other questions in the comments section :smile: Just an idea :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQzIx-x7Wh4
Reply 481
Here is a list of the definitions and 'state that' points from the specification, for all the rote-learners out there:

DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) a polynucleotide, usually double stranded, made up of nucleotide molecules containing the bases adenine (A), thymine (T), cytosine (C) and guanine (G). DNA forms the instructions for the synthesis of proteins within organisms.
RNA (ribonucleic acid) a polynucleotide, usually single stranded, made up of nucleotide molecules containing the bases adenine (A), uracil (U), cytosine (C) and guanine (G).
A gene is a sequence of DNA nucleotides that codes for a polypeptide.
Enzymes are globular proteins, with a specific tertiary structure, which catalyse metabolic reactions in living organisms. Enzyme action may be intracellular or extracellular.
Metabolic poisons may be enzyme inhibitors. Some medicinal drugs also work by inhibiting the activity of enzymes.

A balanced diet is one that contains all the nutrients required for health in appropriate proportions.
Health is a state of mental, physical and social wellbeing, not just the absence of disease. Disease is a departure from good health caused by a malfunction of the mind or body.
A parasite is an organism that lives in or on another living thing, causing harm to its host.
A pathogen is an organism that causes disease.
The immune response is the specific response to a pathogen, which involves the action of lymphocytes and the production of antibodies.
Antigens are molecules that stimulate an immune response.
Antibodies are protein molecules that can identify and neutralise antigens.

A species is a group of individual organisms very similar in appearance, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and genetics, whose members are able to interbreed freely to produce fertile offspring.
A habitat is the place where an organism lives.
Biodiversity is the variety of life the range of living organisms to be found.
Classification is the process of sorting living things into groups. Natural classification does this by grouping things according to how closely related they are reflecting evolutionary relationships.
Phylogeny is the study of the evolutionary relationships between organisms.
Taxonomy is the study of the principles of classification.
Variation is the presence of variety - differences between individuals. Genetic variation is caused by differences between the genes and the combinations of genes or alleles. Variation may be continuous or discontinuous.

Please let me know if you find any errors or if I've missed a 'define' or 'state' point from the specification!
Original post by Ché.
Extremely time consuming with certain areas, yes!
I am grateful I had studied Biodiversity and Evolution at the end of the year, as I still remember it!
Give it two months... GONE.

Are you. Ready for Monday? :biggrin::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

im glad im not the only one... ive revised as much as possible but still dont feel prepared:frown: ive had a lot of time for revision for this one so im not as under pressure and that leads to an awful lot of time procrastinated.. i dont think i could be more ready:smile: are you ready? which areas are your worst.. and vice versa?
Reply 483
Original post by Ché.
AHA!
Lucky you... I am guessing you aced Geography one time!?
Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah haha, it does come in very handy for this biodiversity section!! :smile:
food and health on the other hand... :s-smilie:
Reply 484
Original post by mariam.therese
im glad im not the only one... ive revised as much as possible but still dont feel prepared:frown: ive had a lot of time for revision for this one so im not as under pressure and that leads to an awful lot of time procrastinated.. i dont think i could be more ready:smile: are you ready? which areas are your worst.. and vice versa?

Well...
I have just completed a mock examination mock and scored 95/100.
So, I am sure that I can do it... I just want to pitch up on some areas...

Evolution, of course.
LOL.

YOU?
How's past papers been going for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 485
Original post by kited4
yeah haha, it does come in very handy for this biodiversity section!! :smile:
food and health on the other hand... :s-smilie:

LOL!
Oh, dear!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think i'm ready :smile: I hope so, i am getting 90/100 on most papers and only need 63/100 so i'm not too worried. Weakest area is the food and health by far :s-smilie: hate it

I'm way more worried about my physics exam tbh :P
Reply 487
With clonal selection what cells need to be selected?
Clearly plasma cells and memory cells are specific but do helper cells and killer cells vary?
Original post by Sam_1996
With clonal selection what cells need to be selected?
Clearly plasma cells and memory cells are specific but do helper cells and killer cells vary?

In clonal selection the B and T lymphocytes with complementary antibodies (B) and receptors (T) to the antigen on the Antigen presenting cells. These will then undergo clonal expansion and will then divide and become plasma cells (B) killer cells (T) and memory cells (T and B)
What do people here need to get an A

I need 124+

Due to my piss poor practical mark
Reply 490
What does everyone predict the 8 marker will be on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niceguy95

I need 124+

63 raw marks 95 UMS
Original post by Ché.
Well...
I have just completed a mock examination mock and scored 95/100.
So, I am sure that I can do it... I just want to pitch up on some areas...

Evolution, of course.
LOL.

YOU?
How's past papers been going for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

woahhhh thats amazing:-) well done!! ive been getting around the high 80's losing marks on 'suggest' questions.. which are becoming a lot more frequent..
and yeah biodiversity and evolution :s-smilie:
Reply 493
woahhhh thats amazing:-) well done!! ive been getting around the high 80's losing marks on 'suggest' questions.. which are becoming a lot more frequent..
and yeah biodiversity and evolution :s-smilie:

Definitely the trouble maker in this module!

Thank you very much for your compliment; it is lower than Chemistry but I try to get 100/100.
You too!
:biggrin:

Keep the 80s and you'll smash!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who wants to practice some long questions?

Here's one:
Describe the role of B lymphocytes in the immune response (8 marks) (little pencil symbol) ensure you have written the steps in the correct order :wink:
can anyone give me a run down on things that they know isnt in the textbook? or a link to some notes they have or something. things like the codons and phagocyte structure to function relations. also in the textbook the page on adaptation gives a detailed explanation of xerophytes, is that an example or do we need to know that.
Reply 496
Normally the grade bondaries are quite low for this one aren't they like around 60's/70's / 100 ? just making sure :smile:
Reply 497
Original post by ssflcb
Normally the grade bondaries are quite low for this one aren't they like around 60's/70's / 100 ? just making sure :smile:

Yah, you're absolutely correct!

66/100 - A grade at one point!
January 2013!?
71/100 - A.

It is much more generous than Chemistry
79/100 - A. (79%);
>_<

LOL!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 498
Original post by niceguy95

I need 124+

I need like 114.
ETA: also due to my practical mark :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 499
Original post by Ché.
Yah, you're absolutely correct!

66/100 - A grade at one point!
January 2013!?
71/100 - A.

It is much more generous than Chemistry
79/100 - A. (79%);
>_<

LOL!
Yes chemistry ones are reallyy high . i got 35/40 in my practical , so any idea what i would need to get to get an A :smile: But there was hoever the june 2010 paper which was like 77 for an A :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending