The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wndms
What kind of disease can we relate the hormone adrenaline? Explanation please..?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could talk about atherosclerosis :smile:
Nicotine in cigarettes causes the body to increase adrenaline levels. This increases blood pressure and heart rate meaning there is more likely to be damage to artery walls. Leading to atherosclerosis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 801
Original post by LaughingGas
Nice answer! Full marks! :smile:

Thank you very much!
:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 802
Original post by MrMeep2580
Define Taxonomy and Phylogeny? (3 Marks)

Taxonomy: It's the study of the principles of classification and the difference between species
phylogeny: It's the study of evolutionary history of species using an evolutionary tree diagram
Reply 803
Original post by Gotzz
Recognise the virus
Produce a clone
Can form plasma cells on infection, which make antibodies
They are responsible for the secondary response.

Omg...wait- how did you know LOL. Cause it says in the book that it produces immunological response but doesn't explain how etc...I'm guessing you did the past paper for this question already haha
Reply 804
Original post by cookiess
Omg...wait- how did you know LOL. Cause it says in the book that it produces immunological response but doesn't explain how etc...I'm guessing you did the past paper for this question already haha

Lmao, yeah I've done the past paper :biggrin:
Reply 805
What do we need to know about allopatric and sympatric speciation - and stabalising, disruptive and directional selection?
Reply 806
Have I got this right.. the difference between T and B lympthocytes are T cells mature in the thymus gland and respond to the bodies own infected cells. B cells mature in the bone marrow and respond to foreign pathogenic cells?
Reply 807
Original post by kited4
What do we need to know about allopatric and sympatric speciation - and stabalising, disruptive and directional selection?

Allopatric: It's speciation which is a result of geographical seperation e.g. what happened on the galapogas island. For example if there are two groups of the same species living on different islands, they are unlikely to breed
Sympatric: It's speciation which is not a result of geographical seperation. This speciation can be behavioural e.g. a courtship dance is not recognised; it can be biochemical e.g. species cannot fertilise the egg
Directional selection: It's a selection pressure- it's a external pressure that drives evolution in a particular direction
And the others I haven't heard of O_O
Reply 808
Original post by lauren1brown
You could talk about atherosclerosis :smile:
Nicotine in cigarettes causes the body to increase adrenaline levels. This increases blood pressure and heart rate meaning there is more likely to be damage to artery walls. Leading to atherosclerosis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kited4

I know about these, I think you need to know how they cause speciation (geographical or reproductive barriers etc)
Directional is due to selection pressures, drive evolution in a certain direction.

I've never heard of the others and I've done all the past papers more than once...so that scares me :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 810
Original post by cookiess
Allopatric: It's speciation which is a result of geographical seperation e.g. what happened on the galapogas island. For example if there are two groups of the same species living on different islands, they are unlikely to breed
Sympatric: It's speciation which is not a result of geographical seperation. This speciation can be behavioural e.g. a courtship dance is not recognised; it can be biochemical e.g. species cannot fertilise the egg
Directional selection: It's a selection pressure- it's a external pressure that drives evolution in a particular direction
And the others I haven't heard of O_O

my teacher taught us that- and he has a terrible habit of not teaching us stuff that we actually need to know and spending ages on pointless stuff to the extent where we had to self teach most of food and health! :frown:

i guess we dont need to know it - thanks guys :colondollar:
Reply 811
"Explain how biodiversity may be considered at different levels:habitat, species and genetic"
This is what it says inthe specification, can anybody help me what we are supposed to say? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 812
Original post by wndms
"Explain how biodiversity may be considered at different levels:habitat, species and genetic"
This is what it says inthe specification, can anybody help me what we are supposed to say? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh!
This is the first paper of the Biodiversity specification...
It is much more simpler than it sounds!
It is talking about the different forms of variety in living organisms..

I'll take a picture!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wndms

Posted from TSR Mobile

Habitat - The range of habitats in which different species live
species - the number of different species
genetic - genetic variation between individuals within a species
Reply 814
Original post by wndms

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370168002.034810.jpg
Here!
:wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by otrivine
Yes, those the ones I said was the answer, but for you is fine! Use your A2 knowledge as well then the examiners would be very impressed with the quality of your answers :wink:

:P aha I will do, so worried we might get a occurrence of last June :frown:
aiming for full UMS this time-will save me stress on F215
Original post by kited4

A2 :wink:
Original post by g.k.galloway
I know about these, I think you need to know how they cause speciation (geographical or reproductive barriers etc)
Directional is due to selection pressures, drive evolution in a certain direction.

I've never heard of the others and I've done all the past papers more than once...so that scares me :s-smilie:

see above :h:
Original post by MedMed12
see above :h:

Great thanks :smile: It always worries me when people starting saying words i've never heard of!

Latest

Trending

Trending