The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Suzanna5678
Right so for a big mammal and a small mammal both curves would move to the right?

Noooooo!

Small mammal = large surface area to volume ratio.
Therefore it loses heat faster.
Therefore it needs to respire more.
i.e. it has a higher oxygen demand!
So the haemoglobin has to be better at unloading.
i.e. it shifts to the right!

(opposite for big mammal)
Well.... at least the grade boundaries are relatively low.
Reply 2702
Original post by daniel1005
Things that haven't come up in the past two papers:
Meiosis
Cancer
Protein structure

Things that did'nt come up in January:
Haemoglobin & oxy haemoglobin curves

what do you think the 6marks question will be?
Well basically in meiosis involves a diploid number resulting in a haploid number. So say if we start off with 4 chromatids, these firstly get replicated, so this results in now 4 chromosomes (as there are 2 chromatids in each now). Homologous chromosomes pair up, but as you probably know random assortment and crossing over can occur, resulting in different alleles being created. The nucleus now divides so 2 new daughter nuclei are formed (each containing 2 chromosomes) Chromosomes divide once again, producing 4 daughter cells, each with single chromosomes. Let me know if you are confused about any of that! Meiosis is a hard concept to grasp! probably the worst topic in unit 2.

Basically just remember: 4 daughter cells are created and all show genetic variation, where as in mitosis all daughter cells have identical genetic information and so no variation is shown.
Original post by blondie24
We got told
King Phillip Comes Over For Good Sex :colondollar:

Ewwww...
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Well.... at least the grade boundaries are relatively low.

That's not so helpful when you don't know much, like me :smile: haha
Reply 2706
Can someone explain to me tension/negative pressure in the context of Jan 12 Q.8(b)(iii) -_-
Original post by Liam2404
Hi, just to clarify, does independent segregation of chromosomes occur during meiosis 1, as thats when homologous pairs of chromosomes are separated, meaning the two new cells produced in meiosis 1 will different combination's of maternal and parental chromosomes
Thank you :smile:

Spot on :smile:
Original post by lorobolorolo
i don't think u saw my answer before:

The first part is right. You know that one cycle takes 258 minutes so three cycles would take 258 time 3 minutes which is 774 minutes.

To get form 1 to 8 u have to go through 3 cycles because at each cycle number of cells doubles.

yes i understand it now
thank you
before i was going in meiosis cell cycles...
Original post by Manni
Ooooh when will you call me sweetie loool

Soon :mmm:

:yep:
Original post by kiyubi
what do you think the 6marks question will be?

I honestly could not guess and don't want to guess. I tried to guess for BIOL1 and learnt the topics I guessed in depth and it wasn't those. I think it could be something to do with meiosis (how does meiosis cause variation), or something to do with haemoglobin and oxygen dissociation curve or even a question about plant transport. It really could be anything you just have to prepared for anything.
Original post by lorobolorolo
Looool is it time to be flirting right now? :tongue:

No time like the present :wink:
Original post by FatHeadedKing
Ewwww...

How ironic! :biggrin:
We got told

my one is: King Posiedon Could Only Find Grey Seaweed:smile:
Original post by FatHeadedKing
Noooooo!

Small mammal = large surface area to volume ratio.
Therefore it loses heat faster.
Therefore it needs to respire more.
i.e. it has a higher oxygen demand!
So the haemoglobin has to be better at unloading.
i.e. it shifts to the right!

(opposite for big mammal)

But if the curve moves left for a big mammal because it respires less than surely it doesn't need that much oxygen to be loaded ?
Anyone want to go over last minute revision? :smile: I am here! and happy to help
We got told

Did I tell you my name was phillip? :wink:

I apologise...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ibmb24
does anyone have a mnemonic for learning the taxonomy groups

Keep Penis Clean Or Forget Great Sex :smile:
Reply 2718
[6] how does meiosis cause genetic variation. What do you day for 6 MRKS!!

Please?

Posted from TSR Mobilehh
Hello, for the questions on magnification i always get 1 mark for putting = size of image/actual size of specimen

But not the right result on the mark scheme. For the January 2010 exam can someone tell me how they did question 1(b)(ii). Maybe its the units or something else i dont understand. And more recently the question 1(d) in the January 2013 paper.

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending