The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2840
:frown: can somebody help!
"Why is it useful to calculate the index of diversity than record the number of species" -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
HEPATIC VEIN-away from liver
HEPATIC ARTERY- to liver

HEPATIC PORTAL VEIN- away from gut to liver

RENAL VEIN-away from kidney
RENAL ARTERY-to kidney
:smile:
Is it too early to go to bed
Would someone be happy to go over the ways in water transports in a plant? Like root pressure, etc. I HATE PLANTS :frown:
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!
Original post by PrimusInterPares
can someone explain how mutation in base sequence changes a protein to make it non functional???
thank you

-Mutation in DNA causes the amino acid sequence to be different

-Different amino acid sequence gives different tertiary shape of protein

-Different tertiary shape means different shaped active-site

-So substrate cannot bind and cannot form ES-complexes therefore the enzyme becomes non functional
Original post by chelley2
"Why is it useful to calculate the index of diversity than record the number of species" -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

To know the number of different species and number of individuals within a species as some species occur in small numbers

Posted from TSR Mobile

It shows the number of individuals in a species? :smile:
are there any past q's on fish apart from 09 jan?
Reply 2849

Posted from TSR Mobile

shows no of individuals and no. of species
Reply 2850
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
HAHA! I love my languages, can speak 5 in total. :biggrin:

It was much much harder than any of the past papers, hopefully the grade boundaries should be low.

Mechanics or Stats?

Wow check you out! That's quite impressive

yeah I really do hope so!

stats wby
Original post by annaelizabet
Anyone need help??????

YES PLEASE Q 4C on may 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Index diversity takes into account each individual in each species and some species may have a small number of individuals
Reply 2853
Original post by annaelizabet
Would someone be happy to go over the ways in water transports in a plant? Like root pressure, etc. I HATE PLANTS :frown:

Basically water wants to get from the soil into the xylem vessels. It can do this by 2 methods or 'pathways' called the SYMPLAST PATHWAY or APOPLAST PATHWAY. (Might be useful if you get a labelled diagram showing xylem/root hair cell etc whilst reading this).

Symplast Pathway

In the Symplast pathway, water moves through the CYTOPLASMS of the cells.
Water diffuses along a water potential gradient through PORES between the cells of the Cortex called plasmodesmata. The Cortex is simply all the cells between the Root hair cell and the Xylem vessel.

Apoplast Pathway

In the Apoplast pathway, water moves through the CELL WALLS of the cells.
Water stops at the ENDODERMIS as there is a CASPARIAN STRIP which prevents the water from passing further, making the water pass through a membrane by osmosis down a water potential gradient INTO THE SYMPLAST PATHWAY, which is useful as it prevents harmful substances such as toxins or viruses from entering the xylem vessels as the membrane would not let them past.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTRA

- Water potential in the root hair cell is lowered by the active transport of mineral ions from the soil, hence water can move from the soil into them down a water potential gradient.

Watch this, if you need more help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWNtXw-MWtE
Anyone got a potential 6 marker on gas exchange in fish?

And a sample answer.
Original post by anonymousecheese
YES PLEASE Q 4C on may 12

is there anyway you could tell me it? I can't seem to find that paper :frown:
Is it possible to get full UMS without getting full marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2857
Original post by marseille_h
I converted the cm and the um into meter, (x10^-2cm) and (x10-6um) but when i measure from X to Y I get 2.2cm, am i measuring it wrong or my ruler is trolling me :biggrin:.

(4.9 x 10^-2) / ( 20 x 10^-6) = x2450

so my units are right but my measurment of the image is not right..

i just measured it again you can get either 4.8 4.9 or 5.0cm i dont know how your getting 2.2cm, oh wait.. is the past paper printed out in the normal size or have you shrunk it down to smaller size? maybe that explains why the size of your image is small when you measure it.. let me know :biggrin: but yeah all your other units are correct
Original post by Suzanna5678
Is it too early to go to bed

It is never too early to go to bed!
Original post by Paulineuh
Is it possible to get full UMS without getting full marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the grade boundaries but yes it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending