The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarkProbio
I don't understand how people can come on here saying they are 100% of the answer. I believe this was a suggest question, was it not? Either way, there is often more than 2 points that are valid for a 2 mark question.

I haven't googled the water bear so perhaps you know more about this than me, and having looked around it seems the microscope - in its early stages - has been around since 1595, not to mention the fact the Romans used glass in experiments. That said, unless you are near certain and have some proof to back your case up, I wouldn't scare people so much by saying their answer is 100% wrong.

It was an electron microscope though, which isn't an "early form"
Original post by sh7171
What did people write for the question to do with ethanol and toxins?

First of all I put that the enzyme can break down both because they both contain an alcohol group -OH.

For the next part I said if there is a higher concentration of ethanol in relation to DEG then that is the substrate in excess and is more likely to be broken down than the enzyme due to its high concentration meaning the enzymes can't focus on breaking down the DEG and thus less of the toxin is released.
I am no examiner and I may be completely wrong but I think you've just completely misquoted what the question asked. It said explain how pathogens are destroyed after the pathogen binds with the receptor on the phagocyte.

Nowhere was antigen stated. Antigens are presented AFTER the pathogen is destroyed.

That said, you may well be right in saying that cytotoxic T cells secret hydrogen peroxide and possibly antibodies clumping pathogens together for phagocytosis.

But I based my response on the phagocyte's mode of action, I think there is enough you can say there to get the six marks (plus the one mark for the correct sequencing).

1. Pathogen is engulfed by folding of the membrane made possible by the phagocyte's extensive cytoskeleton - endocytosis/phagocytosis.
2. Pathogen held in a vesicle named a phagosome.
3. Lysosomes fuse with phagosome.
4. Secrete digestive enzymes e.g lysins onto pathogen
5. Pathogen is digested
6. Antigen presented on plasma membrane
7. Sequencing of marks 1-6

Of course I may be wrong and I believe it may have been referring to cytotoxic cells and antibodies as well, but I think you can get at least the majority of the marks by describing phagocytosis correctly.

I wrote all that but though it was too short and began to talk about b-cells and antibodies, would I loose marks for including the second bit
Reply 1743
I don't understand how people can come on here saying they are 100% of the answer. I believe this was a suggest question, was it not? Either way, there is often more than 2 points that are valid for a 2 mark question.

I haven't googled the water bear so perhaps you know more about this than me, and having looked around it seems the microscope - in its early stages - has been around since 1595, not to mention the fact the Romans used glass in experiments. That said, unless you are near certain and have some proof to back your case up, I wouldn't scare people so much by saying their answer is 100% wrong.

I was debating whether to write about evolution or microscope, but then microscope is in unit 1 so I thought I would just go for evolution

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jackitsme
i did R1 as the same...R2 one the same and second band higher

for valid i wrote-same suger concentration,same number of spins and rate and volume of dna the same

i put conc of sugar thing
volume of sugar thing
how long it is left to spin and same speed

others could be -temp? volume/length of DNA
Reply 1745
What were the 3 reasons for low income groups being more likely to get TB?
Reply 1746
Original post by niceguy95
I wrote all that but though it was too short and began to talk about b-cells and antibodies, would I loose marks for including the second bit

Same I did that too... hopefully they'll just ignore right??
First microscope was invented in 1590 :smile:
Original post by student_1995
It said it was a vertebrate so it is animal :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Tardigrades (commonly known as waterbears or moss piglets)[2] are small, water-dwelling, segmented animals with eight legs.
Reply 1749
Original post by Sam_1996

I wrote poor living conditions, overcrowding, and not steralising water
Original post by Liamnut
Macrophages dont as far as Im aware. It's the infected cells.

Ah that's what I meant, my bad :colondollar:
Reply 1751

I wrote about overcrowding due to smaller houses, can't afford for healthcare and likely to live in polluted area.... hope this is right:s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deziah
For the phagocytosis question, I wrote about how the phagocyte engulfs the pathogen via endocytosis, this forms a phagosyme inside the cell, lysosomes fuse with the phagosyme, digesting enzymes are released into the vesicles containing the pathogen and they break down the pathogen into harmless substances. But people have out stuff about lymphocytes so maybe I've missed something or read the question wrong. :\

I wrote the exact same thing! I don't understand how others have managed to get lymphocytes out of the questions FFs. Did I read it wrong or something. Then again I guess it was too easy for 7 marks :frown:
Original post by rival_
The question about why complementary based pairing is important was hard, asexual selective reproduction was just a myth lol

Weird right.. Which kingdom did you put that silly bear thing into

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lack of money means
Poor ventilation
Poor diet
Overcrowding in small houses
it's microscopic organism , so evolution happen faster due to short lifespan , it's not a dinosaur to evolve in million years is it !!!

more likely to have
- poor diet
- HIV/AIDS (weakened immune system)
- poor housing (overcrowding)

then I guess things like poor ventilation etc

overcrowding
poor diet
poor ventilation

poor working conditions
poor health-i.e HIV more likely to get it due to weakened immune system
Reply 1758
Thumbs up if you failed? Thumbs down if you think you done well?
Reply 1759

I wrote less education therefore less knowledge about how it's spread.
Overcrowded living conditions
Poorer countries I.e. Africa, more people have aids therefore more susceptible to tv :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending