Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sai4
2 of mine:

There isn't a single thing a woman can do that a man can't do better

Humans are not equal

Give birth? Carry a child for 9 months?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 781
Inheritance should be capped at around £10,000.
All private schools closed down.
The education system reformed to separate more academically able student, from less academically able students. Basically no comprehensive schools. This is one reason why: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/schools-are-failing-brightest-pupils-more-than-40-of-comprehensive-schools-are-not-challenging-the-most-able-ofsted-warns-8656266.html
Abortion should be banned (with exception to mother's life being at threat, or child's).
Nationalism shouldn't exist. The creation of Nations has more harm than good.
The media shouldn't be allowed to target and victimise one group of people (i.e Muslims).
Groups like the EDL shouldn't exist in the name of 'freedom of expression'.
Original post by Aleandcynicism
Oh god, where do I start? :tongue: I'll go into further detail into any of these if anyone wants me to.

Most drugs should be decriminalised.
Prostitution should be legalised.

I think if these were to happen, we may not have as many problems - in the sense that you wouldn't have prostitutes hanging around on street corners, etc. and drugs would be safer. (ie, your drugs wouldn't contain some really dangerous ****)
Reply 783
Original post by Controversial54
It annoys me when people don't understand what facts are.
It's always the people most ignorant of scientific principles who are most certain.

I know, when I think about it it's almost comical how much of the human race believe in this imaginary source. It's almost delusional
Poverty is caused by poor people having children they can't afford to raise.
Original post by SophieSmall
I agree with the concepts of feminism as I am a female myself I can relate to the issue personally, but how are women unequal in our country now? There may just be something I'm unaware of. :tongue:

I agree to having EQUAL rights but I think you'll find now in the UK that women and ethnic minorities are starting to have more rights than a general British citizen...
For example if you're offering a job it's perfectly legal to advertise for "women only" or for "blacks only" or even "Indian only" or such... But you're not allowed to advertise for men, white, British, etc.

There's also the fact that things like working mens clubs didn't allow women in unless they're signed in by a friend, but then women protested and now it's not a working mans club... After that te women decided that now they're taking over the clubs they're also gonna protest against the strippers.

The point is that equal rights is perfectly fine... But people go too far and start screwing up the entire system, chaos will come if a balance is not found!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with the concepts of feminism as I am a female myself I can relate to the issue personally, but how are women unequal in our country now? There may just be something I'm unaware of. :tongue:

Copied an answer from someone who asked me the same thing.

The basic one is the pay gap - women are paid less than men for jobs they can do JUST as well. So they're not equal already there.

The next thing is sexual assault. Women have to deal with a lot more crap than men do. A lot of women are constantly looking over their shoulder if they're walking alone at night. They have to be conscious over the way they dress, they can't seem too provocative. The whole "well she was asking for it" argument infuriates me to no end.

If a man hits on a woman, they have to be kind and polite to get rid of them. They can't respond aggressively because they're not seen as acting properly. The culture of "boys will be boys" angers me, so they're allowed to hit on women who don't want it.

A lot of rape victims are female (not saying men aren't rape victims but they're fewer in number) and aren't believed.
The whole "she's a slut for sleeping around but she's frigid for not" also angers me.

It annoys me that whenever women protest about this, a lot of the time they are shut down. Lets not talk about rape jokes hah. That's just..ugh.

The whole perfect body image that the media shove down peoples throats - women get it far worse than men. A lot of the time in the media in regards to famous women and men, women are constantly asked about weight and looks. Men do not get that.

One example is Chris Brown beating Rihanna and still being famous, whereas Kristen Steward cheating with a married man (wrong that is) she has been humiliated more than I thought possible.

More than 1 billion women will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes. Women and girls have their clitorises cut out, acid thrown on them and broken bottles shoved up them as an act of war.

The fact that being called a "pussy" or "don't be such a girl" are insults demonstrates to me how women are still underclassed.

I am not saying all men think like this. It's just the way society has been and it's horrible the amount of women who are suffering around the world. And though it may seem on the surface that we are equal - we're really not. Hopefully, you're not thinking I'm shoving my beliefs down your throat. Again, apologies for the long answer (I think I've rambled too long already)
Reply 787
Original post by Kinky Slinky
Give birth? Carry a child for 9 months?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right...forgot about that
Original post by SatsumaBenji
I agree to having EQUAL rights but I think you'll find now in the UK that women and ethnic minorities are starting to have more rights than a general British citizen...
For example if you're offering a job it's perfectly legal to advertise for "women only" or for "blacks only" or even "Indian only". Was unaware this was legal, I think it's disgusting and wrong jobs should be given for suitability qualifications, skills and experience not for genital type or skin colour.or such... But you're not allowed to advertise for men, white, British, etc.

There's also the fact that things like working mens clubs didn't allow women in unless they're signed in by a friend, but then women protested and now it's not a working mans club... After that te women decided that now they're taking over the clubs they're also gonna protest against the strippers.This annoys me, it's the woman's choice to become a stripper (though there may be exceptions) I hate it how people both men and women try to "free" strippers, for Christ sake it's a job.

The point is that equal rights is perfectly fine... But people go too far and start screwing up the entire system, chaos will come if a balance is not found! True some people really do go to far, it gets on my nerves as well. I also find it unfair how men find it so much harder to achieve custody of their children.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've made a fair point.
Original post by SunsetRainbow

The basic one is the pay gap - women are paid less than men for jobs they can do JUST as well. So they're not equal already there. Ahh I forgot about that one, I thought it had be sorted I guess I must have been wrong about that. I agree it is wrong that women won't be paid the same amount as men for doing the same job.

The next thing is sexual assault. Women have to deal with a lot more crap than men do.Very true, but this isn't so much a legal equality issue so much as a social one. A lot of women are constantly looking over their shoulder if they're walking alone at night.Me included, I don't feel safe going anywhere, it makes me sick that I'm so afraid. They have to be conscious over the way they dress, they can't seem too provocative. The whole "well she was asking for it" argument infuriates me to no end. That argument makes me so angry! No means no for Christ sake, I hate the excuses people give for rapists it makes me sick to my stomach.

If a man hits on a woman, they have to be kind and polite to get rid of them. They can't respond aggressively because they're not seen as acting properly. The culture of "boys will be boys" angers me, so they're allowed to hit on women who don't want it.

A lot of rape victims are female (not saying men aren't rape victims but they're fewer in number) and aren't believed.
The whole "she's a slut for sleeping around but she's frigid for not" also angers me. It's all double standard and it infuriates me. I also hate how men can be glorified for sleeping with lots of women but if a woman does the same she is made to feel ashamed and called a whore, hypocrisy.

It annoys me that whenever women protest about this, a lot of the time they are shut down. Lets not talk about rape jokes hah. That's just..ugh.It does upset me that I am often shot down when I try to protest something on the basis that I'm a woman, or that I'm too emotional to have an opinion, or that it was "just a joke". Oh it's all very well and good being a man and joking about how a woman got raped because she had some nice tits or whatever, but how can they possible understand how that can really hurt someone who has been through that to hear them joking. It sickens me, rape ruins lives, there is a time and a place for joking I think people should be more aware of who they're joking with because there may just be a rape victim in the room.

The whole perfect body image that the media shove down peoples throats - women get it far worse than men. A lot of the time in the media in regards to famous women and men, women are constantly asked about weight and looks. Men do not get that.

One example is Chris Brown beating Rihanna and still being famous, whereas Kristen Steward cheating with a married man (wrong that is) she has been humiliated more than I thought possible.

More than 1 billion women will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes. Women and girls have their clitorises cut out, acid thrown on them and broken bottles shoved up them as an act of war.

The fact that being called a "pussy" or "don't be such a girl" are insults demonstrates to me how women are still underclassed.

I am not saying all men think like this. It's just the way society has been and it's horrible the amount of women who are suffering around the world. And though it may seem on the surface that we are equal - we're really not. Hopefully, you're not thinking I'm shoving my beliefs down your throat. Again, apologies for the long answer (I think I've rambled too long already)

I do agree that often times when you look at it socially women are not equal though I think for the most part legally we are, apart from the job pay thing I thought that had been fixed but apparently not.
Reply 790
Original post by SunsetRainbow

The basic one is the pay gap - women are paid less than men for jobs they can do JUST as well. So they're not equal already there.

The next thing is sexual assault. Women have to deal with a lot more crap than men do. A lot of women are constantly looking over their shoulder if they're walking alone at night. They have to be conscious over the way they dress, they can't seem too provocative. The whole "well she was asking for it" argument infuriates me to no end.

The whole "she's a slut for sleeping around but she's frigid for not" also angers me.

It annoys me that whenever women protest about this, a lot of the time they are shut down. Lets not talk about rape jokes hah. That's just..ugh.

Agreed with all of the above. Patriarchy is still alive and well unfortunately. Something that always makes me laugh is how so many anti-feminists complain about things that patriarchy actually implemented. For example, a lot of men complain that they're expected to pull out a woman's chair or hold the door open for a woman, or something like that. But what they don't ask is why? Why does that mindset exist among some people? Because patriarchy put forward the concept that women are weak and constantly in need of men to do simple things for them such as pulling out a chair. It was men back in the day who started doing those things to make themselves feel masculine.
Original post by jco19
Agreed with all of the above. Patriarchy is still alive and well unfortunately. Something that always makes me laugh is how so many anti-feminists complain about things that patriarchy actually implemented. For example, a lot of men complain that they're expected to pull out a woman's chair or hold the door open for a woman, or something like that. But what they don't ask is why? Why does that mindset exist among some people? Because patriarchy put forward the concept that women are weak and constantly in need of men to do simple things for them such as pulling out a chair. It was men back in the day who started doing those things to make themselves feel masculine.

This so much. Thank you!
I've probably missed the boat here, but my unpopular opinions anyway
1 - If pregnancy screenings had advances in technology which could prove if a child will be born with a major deficiency (like Down's Syndrome; been in the news a lot recently) then it should be compulsory (or highly advised) to abort

2 - A number of modern universities should be stripped of their status and return to being poly's

3 - The absolute minimum to be accepted onto any university course at any institution should be 300 points (negotiable when there's extenuating circumstances)

4 - Some Mickey Mouse courses and David Beckham studies should be prohibited from offering degrees. (things like acting and football coaching, for example)

5 - JSA claimants should be limited to 6 months on the scheme (already argued this on another thread)

6 - women shouldn't be allowed to serve on the front line of the military (infantry)

7 - Scotland shouldn't be allowed to hold another Independence Referendum ever again if there is a no vote this time

8 - Trident shouldn't be scrapped

9 - We were right to invade Iraq and Tony Blair was a good PM (shouldn't even be debatable)

10 - We should have a referendum on remaining in the EU no matter which party comes into power in 2015

11 - Abolish independent and grammar schools

12 - Feminists were unnecessary

13 - reintroduce capital punishment

^ Fair points
(edited 10 years ago)
1. I desperately want ginger hair
2. I like the name Tristan (but would never inflict it on my children)
3. I think hardcore feminists go to far and lots of people ignore the fact that guys get a rough time too. It's becoming socially acceptable to be sexist to men. The last thing we need is for our society to flip round to one where women are dominant and men are treated as second class citizens as women have been for centuries (and now in some countries). We need gender equality, which does not mean women getting equality at the expense of men losing it. It's unfair that women get raped in the street, however I've heard plenty of stories of guys on their own getting beaten up by groups of guys, it's not safe for anyone to be alone on the street really (I'm not trivialising rape in any way, or saying that it's alright, and actually men can get raped as well, it's a horrific thing to happen to any person, regardless of gender). Also men get a rough deal in terms of custody for children and while I may stand a slim chance of being able to adopt as a single woman, if you're a single man? Not a chance in hell, or at least incredibly slim. My flatmate's a proper feminist and she gets really riled up about this. I'm not saying women have an easy life, I know we don't, it just irritates me when people use double standards.
4. I prefer the Smiths to the Beatles.
5. I think River is the best companion the Doctor has ever had
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SuperHanss
I've probably missed the boat here, but my unpopular opinions anyway

1 - If pregnancy screenings had advances in technology which could prove if a child will be born with a major deficiency (like Down's Syndrome; been in the news a lot recently) then it should be compulsory (or highly advised) to abort I disagree that any abortions should ever be compulsory, that can be very damaging and emotionally harmful to the woman carrying the fetus. Though of course I think the tests should be done and they should be made very clear of the implications a disabled child will have on their life.

2 - A number of modern universities should be stripped of their status and return to being poly's

3 - The absolute minimum to be accepted onto any university course at any institution should be 300 points (negotiable when there's extenuating circumstances)

4 - Some Mickey Mouse courses and David Beckham studies should be prohibited from offering degrees. (things like acting and football coaching, for example. Kind of agree and disagree at the same time, I see some uni courses that just sound ridiculous but then again I have no idea what the course entails or how well it can help someone in their chosen career path.

5 - JSA claimants should be limited to 6 months on the scheme (already argued this on another thread) Great essentially leave people with no money to live on if they still can't find a job in 6 months. I see where you are coming from since it must be expensive to fork out JSA but I don't think having a limit will help people, only make things worse for the unemployed.

6 - women shouldn't be allowed to serve on the front line of the military (infantry) Why?

7 - Scotland shouldn't be allowed to hold another Independence Referendum ever again if there is a no vote this time

8 - Trident shouldn't be scrapped

9 - We were right to invade Iraq and Tony Blair was a good PM (shouldn't even be debatable)

10 - We should have a referendum on remaining in the EU no matter which party comes into power in 2015

11 - Abolish independent and grammar schools Why?

12 - Feminists were unnecessary How were they?

13 - reintroduce capital punishment I'm kind of on edge about this, I see the reasoning for it but since I couldn't be the one to swing the sword I'd feel wrong voting it in, plus there is also the argument of those wrongly convicted however low that number may be.

^ Fair points

I suppose you're right on the first point. Abortions can be a psychological stigma, though I'm not sure if that could overshadow the fact you'd then have to devote the rest of your life to ensure the disabled born is cared for - which would be a stigma in itself.

I can't be bothered to get into the JSA argument again (it is almost 4 am haha), it all got very heated in the other thread though with the odd Nazi accusation flying around!

Women shouldn't be allowed to serve on the frontline because the service is still undeniably male dominated and, despite the discipline of them, it wouldn't take much for the least charming to begin with the 'laddish' misogyny. There'd end up being a lot of animosity between such men and women who stand up for themselves (especially not good news if there are guns around). Besides that, out in the middle of some Afghan desert, I'm certain that soldiers would become pretty primitive and sexual tension would definitely transpire. Not sure if you saw but some time last year there was a woman serving in the British military who was out in Afghanistan and had been impregnated by another soldier and didn't tell anyone until she was nearing labour.... (it was something like that anyway).

Fee paying and exclusive schools are backward, archaic and wort of all elitist. They're the principle reason in my opinion as to why educational standards are continually falling in this country and the only way to alter that is to abolish them. Doing this will mean the lines of the class system in this country will be blurred (good thing obviously) as the different cultures assimilate with one another. More to that, the more passionate teachers who seem to be saturated by independents will join the comps and nurture standards upwards.
These exclusive schools conduce a reprehensible nepotism and effectively allow people to 'buy success'. They're also the foremost contradiction of the meritocracy we supposedly live in: just look at the vast majority of rich, famous and powerful British peoples' educational backgrounds.

I maintain that the feminists role in getting women all of the rights they have today was redundant because it's fact haha. Burning your bras and stepping out in front of horses and boycotting things may shock people today but back in the late 1800s to mid 1900s people were so traditionally minded that if they were going to have sexist views, nothing would influence them otherwise - especially not a malignant group of protestors. Fortunately enough it was just the social curve, men came to appreciate the role of women and began to consider them equal just because of human development; steadily becoming more mature and sentient people. The timing was just convenient for the feminist movement. There's a huge gulf of difference between a strong woman and a feminist who accuses men of being domineering and sexist at every turn. I'm in no doubt that feminists are in fact the biggest cause of adversity and stereotypes of women today, just because their presence is the only thing preventing complete harmony and therefore this sort of banterous subordination of women we now see in this country is effectively just humour to dampen the irony of it all.

It seems like most people on this thread support the idea of capital punishment returning in some way for the most extreme cases, when it's 100% that the person sentenced is guilty that is. Maybe it doesn't belong on an unpopular opinion thread! We're not allowed to reintroduce it though, under one of the conventions of the EU no members can enforce the death penalty in any circumstance (stupid really)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SuperHanss
I suppose you're right on the first point. Abortions can be a psychological stigma, though I'm not sure if that could overshadow the fact you'd then have to devote the rest of your life to ensure the disabled born is cared for - which would be a stigma in itself. Yes it's hard and it can be stigmatizing raising a disabled child, but my point was that it is the parents choice for a reason, I have a familial friend who gave birth to a son with severe mental deficits and she does have to take care of him but she loves him to the ends of the earth and she would never have aborted him and that was her choice to make.

I can't be bothered to get into the JSA argument again (it is almost 4 am haha), it all got very heated in the other thread though with the odd Nazi accusation flying around. Well then I guess I'll just have to throw your argument on JSA out the window since I can't hear any reasoning for it.

Women shouldn't be allowed to serve on the frontline because the service is still undeniably male dominated and, despite the discipline of them, it wouldn't take much for the least charming to begin with the 'laddish' misogyny. There'd end up being a lot of animosity between such men and women who stand up for themselves (especially not good news if there are guns around). Besides that, out in the middle of some Afghan desert, I'm certain that soldiers would become pretty primitive and sexual tension would definitely transpire. Not sure if you saw but some time last year there was a woman serving in the British military who was out in Afghanistan and had been impregnated by another soldier and didn't tell anyone until she was nearing labour.... (it was something like that anyway).Yeah I heard about that, personally I do agree that it must be very male dominant out there on the front line but by not allowing women to serve on the front line instead of fixing the actual problems of the male dominance and misogyny women can face there I just think that's a backwards way of going about a problem.

Fee paying and exclusive schools are backward, archaic and wort of all elitist. They're the principle reason in my opinion as to why educational standards are continually falling in this country and the only way to alter that is to abolish them. Doing this will mean the lines of the class system in this country will be blurred (good thing obviously) as the different cultures assimilate with one another. More to that, the more passionate teachers who seem to be saturated by independents will join the comps and nurture standards upwards.
These exclusive schools conduce a reprehensible nepotism and effectively allow people to 'buy success'. They're also the foremost contradiction of the meritocracy we supposedly live in: just look at the vast majority of rich, famous and powerful British peoples' educational backgrounds. Fair points I suppose, just wanted to hear your reasoning.

I maintain that the feminists role in getting women all of the rights they have today was redundant because it's fact haha. Burning your bras and stepping out in front of horses and boycotting things may shock people today but back in the late 1800s to mid 1900s people were so traditionally minded that if they were going to have sexist views, nothing would influence them otherwise - especially not a malignant group of protestors. Fortunately enough it was just the social curve, men came to appreciate the role of women and began to consider them equal just because of human development; steadily becoming more mature and sentient people. The timing was just convenient for the feminist movement. There's a huge gulf of difference between a strong woman and a feminist who accuses men of being domineering and sexist at every turn. I'm in no doubt that feminists are in fact the biggest cause of adversity and stereotypes of women today, just because their presence is the only thing preventing complete harmony and therefore this sort of banterous subordination of women we now see in this country is effectively just humour to dampen the irony of it all. I disagree that the early feminists weren't a massive part and step towards the equal rights we have today, but that's just my opinion and you're just as entitled to your opinion.

It seems like most people on this thread support the idea of capital punishment returning in some way for the most extreme cases, when it's 100% that the person sentenced is guilty that is. Maybe it doesn't belong on an unpopular opinion thread! We're not allowed to reintroduce it though, under one of the conventions of the EU no members can enforce the death penalty in any circumstance (stupid really)
I wasn't aware of that bit about the EU, thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 797
> People who take pictures in front of the mirror, with a sodding iphone covering their face, look stupid.

> People who heavily smoke and/or drink are morons.

> The corruption of our political elite is down to the majority of the population, of whom who don't care enough to participate and keep the system in check.

> The British suffragette movement did little to help women's efforts to gain the vote pre 1918. (free to expand my reasoning if required)

> The population would be much smarter and open if they were introduced to philosophy and politics from an early age
Reply 798
communism has the potential to be better than democracy.
it should be harder to go to university.
'lesser' degrees should be abandoned.
uberfacts isnt all that uber.
Original post by FireGarden
The world would be better off being "The World"; one (de facto) language, one currency/economy, etc.

I agree 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest