The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Gundogan is very good, but he's not a 30m player is he?
As other have said, I think we're past the point of looking for a £Xm player, we are looking for a player, and looking at our squad it more or less the only player we need. That was an option last summer or the summer before, or lining up the deal ready for this summer. Now I think simply need to get the player and if we have to pay through the nose, then its the club's fault for leaving it so we couldn't really walk away. If we don't get a midfielder of some quality, we can write off anything silver this season unless its the LC, or the CC.
I don't think most journalists knew anything.

They just copied the story from each other.
Reply 6362
Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt
Yes.

Thank you for providing a link to an article I already quoted from.

Thiago is "likely" to join.

Meaning at the time of print, it was thought by most journalists that he would, not definitely mind you, but "likely" join.

And not every transfer story is the same my friend. The Ronaldo speculation was /is based on nothing other than United fans wishing it to be the case.

Mazinho travelled to Manchester to speak to United officials.

Okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some will never learn :getmecoat:

Amazing how within a week he signs for another club. Some highly placed source there.

Want me to dig out many articles saying United are preparing to bid for Ronaldo as Real can be easily tempted with it. Using that ubiquitous highly placed source with inside knowledge of course :yes:

You really think Thiago just came to this decision overnight?
(edited 10 years ago)
Fairly confident that Pep's reputation will take a hit at Bayern Munich. He's about to break up the best midfield (by some distance) last season to give a Barcelona squad player game time. No doubts that he'll win the league, but the real test is to win the Champions League. No team has ever won it twice in a row. He'll have to make history and break records, otherwise the critics will be all over him. Pressure is on.

As for other possible midfield signings, I would take the risk on De Rossi if Strootman is Roma-bound, and if the price is right of course. Otherwise, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Phil Jones in midfield for the big games.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
But Martinez solved probably their number one problem, vulnerability to counter attacks, and works unbelievably well alongside Schweinsteiger. I dont understand tinkering with that.

Ribery has been unbelievable but perhaps he'll be phased out with Kroos moving wide and Thiago playing as no.10. Arjen Robben's career is surely over though.

Pep will want to put his own stamp on the team and get them playing his way though. You mean Robben's Bayern career right?
Original post by TheInvincibles14
You have no chance of getting the last three. They are all indispensable to their respective clubs. You have a chance of getting De Rossi, he would be a very astute signing. Certainly better than Fellaini.

Can't believe it's Chelsea he's rumoured to be going to and not us, Chelsea have a loan deal as per their arrangement with Roma, don't see why you've ruled out Modric, they've just signed Illaramendi and Isco, so surely SOMEONE in that midfield has to leave.
Original post by Zürich
But Martinez solved probably their number one problem, vulnerability to counter attacks, and works unbelievably well alongside Schweinsteiger. I dont understand tinkering with that.

Ribery has been unbelievable but perhaps he'll be phased out with Kroos moving wide and Thiago playing as no.10. Arjen Robben's career is surely over though.

Not necessarily. Martinez is more than capable of doing a job similar to Pique. Pretty obvious what Pep is trying to do here. He's trying to replicate the system he used at Barca. Thiago will play similar to Iniesta, Schwein similar to Xavi, Gotze similar to Messi etc. Kroos doesn't have the pace to play on the wings so I think he'll start as the no.10. If I was Muller I'd be very worried, he's a bloody brilliant player but I don't think he's technical enough for a Pep side.
Original post by NathanW18
I don't think most journalists knew anything.

They just copied the story from each other.

Surely they knew something?

Otherwise Thiago to Bayern would be a shock move, which it isn't.

I think we're entering a minefield here.

Where did you all hear about the buyout clause?

Just because journalists don't know everything, doesn't mean they don't know anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not necessarily. Martinez is more than capable of doing a job similar to Pique. Pretty obvious what Pep is trying to do here. He's trying to replicate the system he used at Barca. Thiago will play similar to Iniesta, Schwein similar to Xavi, Gotze similar to Messi etc. Kroos doesn't have the pace to play on the wings so I think he'll start as the no.10. If I was Muller I'd be very worried, he's a bloody brilliant player but I don't think he's technical enough for a Pep side.

Who's going to be Busquets? Was sure it'd be Schweiny as Busquets, Thiago as Xavi, Muller/Kroos as Iniesta and Gotze as Messi.
Finally, we can move on from the Thiago drama that has been overshadowing the thread for months on end. ledleyking will be devastated, if that's an understatement.

I don't think we can understand why he's gone to Bayern besides his friendship with Pep but good luck to him. We'll see this time next year if his motivation for his decisiont to leave, i.e. to get into Spain's WC squad, was justified.

In regards to journalists and sources, it's a very rarity for a journalist to get a big exclusive scoop that turns out right. The competition is so strong the world of sports journalism that BS comes out regularly; journalists follow each other's stories; they think something might happen - it's just the way it is. Only recently, Sam Wallace of the Indy was saying two weeks ago that Mkhitaryan was joining Borussia and not Liverpool and it turned out just like that.

Time to move on to new targets. Modric maybe?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Fairly confident that Pep's reputation will take a hit at Bayern Munich. He's about to break up the best midfield (by some distance) last season to give a Barcelona squad player game time. No doubts that he'll win the league, but the real test is to win the Champions League. No team has ever won it twice in a row. He'll have to make history and break records, otherwise the critics will be all over him. Pressure is on.
The thing is, back to back CL would seem quite likely with the situation across Europe. If he mucks with the system he's in the same position as Chelsea, City, Real. All new managers trying to stamp their style, his biggest asset would be he has the best team in Europe right now. And his first plan is to dismantle the heart?
Original post by That Bearded Man
Can't believe it's Chelsea he's rumoured to be going to and not us, Chelsea have a loan deal as per their arrangement with Roma, don't see why you've ruled out Modric, they've just signed Illaramendi and Isco, so surely SOMEONE in that midfield has to leave.

Madrid have Illaramendi, Khedira, Alonso and Modric for two positions. I think all of them will stay so Ancelotti can rotate and challenge on multiple fronts. I think Alonso will leave next summer, would make complete sense if he went back to his former club Sociedad. Pretty sure there would have been a gentlemans agreement regarding that since Sociedad let Illara leave.
(edited 10 years ago)
Who's going to be Busquets? Was sure it'd be Schweiny as Busquets, Thiago as Xavi, Muller/Kroos as Iniesta and Gotze as Messi.

I don't think schweiny would be able to play the same role as busquets
Original post by 419
Some will never learn :getmecoat:

Amazing how within a week he signs for another club. Some highly placed source there.

Want me to dig out many articles saying United are preparing to bid for Ronaldo as Real can be easily tempted with it. Using that ubiquitous highly based source with inside knowledge of course.

Again.

You lump every transfer story written by someone into one big category.

Some stories are trustworthy, others are not. Some are based on evidence, others are not. It's up to reader discretion to decide what to believe. Thiago to United was a prospect that had evidence, but didn't turn into fruition.

Just because he went to Bayern, doesn't mean it was absolute fiction that he could have went to United.

I honestly cannot put it simpler than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6374
Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt
Surely they knew something?

Otherwise Thiago to Bayern would be a shock move, which it isn't.

I think we're entering a minefield here.

Where did you all hear about the buyout clause?

Just because journalists don't know everything, doesn't mean they don't know anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

IIRC, they only started reporting that he was going to join Bayern on the back of Pep's quote earlier in the week. Nothing linking him with Bayern t earlier times. It was constant story of how he was going to join you this week, next week.

Schweinsteiger is a much better player than Busquets imo. I think even Bayern hierarchy have said he's the Xavi of Bayern. I'm just wondering how good Bayern will be when they get Lewandowski next year (on a free!). They are cleaning up in terms of transfers. Also weakening their main rivals in the process. Such a good strategy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6376
Original post by doggyfizzel
As other have said, I think we're past the point of looking for a £Xm player, we are looking for a player, and looking at our squad it more or less the only player we need. That was an option last summer or the summer before, or lining up the deal ready for this summer. Now I think simply need to get the player and if we have to pay through the nose, then its the club's fault for leaving it so we couldn't really walk away. If we don't get a midfielder of some quality, we can write off anything silver this season unless its the LC, or the CC.

Moyes has come out and said he's not been given a budget, but allowed to go after anyone.
He especially believes we're short in midfield and wants to strengthen other areas (LB), however leaves the hint of investing in younger players (no to De Rossi).
He said he only wants to add to it sensibly (no Bale/Ronaldo).
You're pretty spot on if he was telling the truth.
Moyes also said he wants to make the first signing the right one, so he has a position and maybe a player in mind, I think now the Thiago saga is finished hopefully we can see some progress.

Gundogan and Gustavo have 2 years left on their contract, and are not yet in their prime age so seem like achievable transfers, Modric has only been at RM for one year so its quite unlikely he'll move and he'll be 28 soon, Vidal would be perfect as he's the closest to Keane you can get today but we would need to put in a mammoth bid with 3 years left on his contract, Fabregas will and was always going to stay with Barca (especially now), who else is there we could get?

Pep will be making a mistake if he takes too much bite out of the Bayern team. The pure tiki-taki game has been demolished by teams with a better combination of technical ability and power, like Bayern ironically. Also, has Gotze ever played up top? Bit different to playing with Messi.

Absolute madness if Muller gets dropped as well. He pretty much represents everything that makes Bayern better than Barca atm, energy, power, fight, so if he casts him aside then you know he's doing more harm than good.

Dortmund could make mince meat out them if he takes the edge out of Bayern tbh. I'd quite like to see that.

Schweinsteiger is a much better player than Busquets imo. I think even Bayern hierarchy have said he's the Xavi of Bayern. I'm just wondering how good Bayern will be when they get Lewandowski next year (on a free!). They are cleaning up in terms of transfers. Also weakening their main rivals in the process. Such a good strategy.

Bayern are ***** tbh. Ruthlessly good at what they do but they are strangling the Bundesliga in the cot just as its starting to take off in a huge way.

Schweinsteiger is probably the best midfielder in the world right now. Can do everything Busquets does but takes on more offensive responsibility as well. So once they get Lewandowkski, I assume Gotze is dropped back into midfield to replace Ribery?

This is like Fifa career mode on amateur settings or something. At least Barca had Real who could compete financially. Guardiola has taken the easiest job in the world.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aky786UK
Finally, we can move on from the Thiago drama that has been overshadowing the thread for months on end. ledleyking will be devastated, if that's an understatement.

I don't think we can understand why he's gone to Bayern besides his friendship with Pep but good luck to him. We'll see this time next year if his motivation for his decisiont to leave, i.e. to get into Spain's WC squad, was justified.

In regards to journalists and sources, it's a very rarity for a journalist to get a big exclusive scoop that turns out right. The competition is so strong the world of sports journalism that BS comes out regularly; journalists follow each other's stories; they think something might happen - it's just the way it is. Only recently, Sam Wallace of the Indy was saying two weeks ago that Mkhitaryan was joining Borussia and not Liverpool and it turned out just like that.

Time to move on to new targets. Modric maybe?

I'd love Modric but he would surely be desperate to prove himself to his new manager.

I think we should be looking at players outside of Bayern/Barca/Real now, even the peripheries of their starting lineups.

I just want less of this 'United chase a player for 6 weeks' **** we go through every year.

I was still trying to learn how to spell Paulinho's name in the time it took for speculation to turn into his medical at Spurs.

Gundogan or Strootman for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 419
IIRC, they only started reporting that he was going to join Bayern on the back of Pep's quote earlier in the week. Nothing linking him with Bayern t earlier times. It was constant story of how he was going to join you this week, next week.

I definitely read in several places that Bayern were in for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest