The Student Room Group

IB Freshers!

Hello all!

I'm starting the IB next week and was just wondering who on TSR is also starting the diploma this year!

What are your subjects? Are you excited / nervous / scared? :eek:

Personally i'm very excited and nervous for the IB to start , i'm excited about finally doing the subjects i want to study and not being forced into doing 9 like i was for the IGCSE.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
I am starting IB too, I will be doing

English Lit HL
French B HL
German B HL
History Hl
Maths SL
Chemistry SL

I am really looking forward to starting and being able to concentrate on languages.

I did 12 IGCSE's so this is a real knockdown in numbers for me.
What subjects are you doing?
Good luck, IB Freshers! :smile:
I was just digging through my old IB papers when I saw this thread! Hehe :biggrin:

:nyoron:
Reply 3
Original post by ashleighgiles
Good luck, IB Freshers! :smile:
I was just digging through my old IB papers when I saw this thread! Hehe :biggrin:

:nyoron:

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Maazin
Thank you! :smile:

Since you're the OP, why don't you share with us your chosen subjects? :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by nimrod100
Hi,
I am starting IB too, I will be doing

English Lit HL
French B HL
German B HL
History Hl
Maths SL
Chemistry SL

I am really looking forward to starting and being able to concentrate on languages.

I did 12 IGCSE's so this is a real knockdown in numbers for me.
What subjects are you doing?

Wow 12! that must have been really killer..
Most do around 5-7 so i thought i was doing a bit extra but wow good for you for handling that many!

I'm also doing History HL English HL and Maths SL
along with HL Econs , SL Biology and SL French!

Where do you study?
Reply 6
I study in Germany, so the German is pretty straightforward.
I only did that many IGCSE's because our Art teacher was useless and I thought I might fail, but fortunately he left for a while and we had another Art teacher instead ( she was great).
I am really looking forward to English, we have a mad but great teacher.

What about you where do you study?
Reply 7
I study in Germany, so the German is pretty straightforward.
I only did that many IGCSE's because our Art teacher was useless and I thought I might fail, but fortunately he left for a while and we had another Art teacher instead ( she was great).
I am really looking forward to English, we have a mad but great teacher.

What about you where do you study?

Huh , what does your Art Teacher have to do with it :tongue: , bit of a confusing reason

I'm studying in Singapore and am really looking forward to Economics because our teacher is funny and pretty good and i'm really passionate about History so excited for that too.

I've heard horrible things about IB Math and i'm really nervous about that. I do /not/ want to do Math Studies but i really don't know if i can handle SL math or not.. any advice anyone?
You poor, poor people. May the odds be ever in your favour.

Just finished IB this year.

Original post by Maazin

I've heard horrible things about IB Math and i'm really nervous about that. I do /not/ want to do Math Studies but i really don't know if i can handle SL math or not.. any advice anyone?

Really depends if you need it or not. If you're going to do something mathsy then at least SL is mandatory and SL isn't that hard. Things get hard at HL but SL is manageable. If you want to do something like history though, you're much better off doing studies, honestly, universities won't care and it will alleviate a lot of pressure on one of your subject spaces - sure you get the occasional digs for doing studies but it's all in good spirit
Original post by Maazin

Unfortunately Math Studies SL isn't considered "real math" in some universities, because the furthest you'll learn is basic (and I mean basic) calculus.
I took that subject because my HL subjects were too heavy and I didn't really need advanced math for university.

What are you planning to take for university? If its got to do with business or science, you have to take at least Math SL :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Maazin
Huh , what does your Art Teacher have to do with it :tongue: , bit of a confusing reason

I'm studying in Singapore and am really looking forward to Economics because our teacher is funny and pretty good and i'm really passionate about History so excited for that too.

Not trying to feed stereotypes but aren't Singaporeans well-known for being math/science gurus? :P

On a serious note, don't worry, you'll be fine. IGCSE Maths is good preparation for Maths SL. Just work hard and you get a good grade. Good luck to all of you!
Oh dear lord. I officially finished with the IB July 6th and I do not envy you guys starting it. Good luck. You will need it.
Reply 12
I did 8 subjects in igcse

I'm starting my ib this year at the end of August. I'm really excited about it because I think I can really work hard and enter a good uni I hope. But nervous with the overwhelming workload lol

My subjects are:
Math HL
Physics HL
Chinese B HL
Business & management SL
English lit & Lang SL
Chemistry SL

If I could apply to a b&m HL course I will dip my physics to SL. I think my combination is relatively harder?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Maazin

Sorry I confused you, I meant our Art teacher was poor so I did an extra subject, ICT. I should have taken 11 subjects but the extra was needed in case I failed Art, I wanted the ICE qualification as well which meant at least 1 subject in and art or vocational subject.

Try SL Maths, you could always drop to Maths Studies if you find it too hard.
Reply 14
Original post by AquisM
Not trying to feed stereotypes but aren't Singaporeans well-known for being math/science gurus? :P

On a serious note, don't worry, you'll be fine. IGCSE Maths is good preparation for Maths SL. Just work hard and you get a good grade. Good luck to all of you!

Haha i'm a third culture kid! I live in Singapore but i'm very much not from there! I know IG Maths is good prep but i still am worried about it.. hopefully if i work harder than i did for the IG's then i'll get at least a 5.
Thanks!
Reply 15
Sorry I confused you, I meant our Art teacher was poor so I did an extra subject, ICT. I should have taken 11 subjects but the extra was needed in case I failed Art, I wanted the ICE qualification as well which meant at least 1 subject in and art or vocational subject.

Try SL Maths, you could always drop to Maths Studies if you find it too hard.

Ohh okay! That's quite bad , couldn't your school do anything about it? Well , what's done is done and you got through it!

I will try SL and see how it goes from there..
Hey! Im starting IB too. I want to do psychology further so here are my subjects:

Eng, psychology, bio -HL
Spanish, eco, math -HL

Could you tell me if this combination is good enough? Im really really confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lonelieststar109
Hey! Im starting IB too. I want to do psychology further so here are my subjects:

Eng, psychology, bio -HL
Spanish, eco, math -HL

Could you tell me if this combination is good enough? Im really really confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well apparently you're doing 6 HLs, so no.
Oh, my bad. The second set is SL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lonelieststar109
Oh, my bad. The second set is SL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then yes, its a good combo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending