The Student Room Group

Working out your per-term entitlement

Hey guys, I know that you'll all be getting your entitlement letters through the post soon, but if you've already been given an estimate through the student finance website, you can work out pretty easily what you'll be getting each term.

If you've not been to uni before, its a common misconception that you'll receive your loan in equal thirds, this is not the case. You receive the vast majority of your loan in your first term, so make it last!

Term 1: 48.8956% [ (SUM/100)*48.8956 ]
Term 2: 17.1045% [ (SUM/100)*17.1045 ]
Term 3: 33.9999% [ (SUM/100)*33.9999 ]

Lets presume you get the minimum amount student finance gives out, £3,575.

Term 1 you'll get 1748.02

Term 2 you'll get £611.49

Term 3 you'll get £1215.48

On top of this, you'll get your additional grants and loans bolted on, as far as I'm aware the only grant that is paid in equal thirds is the Welsh assembly learning grant.

Hopefully this will help some of you plan out your spending early and avoid the usual student trap of being broke between terms and over summer.
Mine seems to be pretty much thirds really.
Reply 2
All 3 years have adhered to this breakdown for me.
Original post by Mehcore
All 3 years have adhered to this breakdown for me.

Mine will go like this according to SFE
Reply 4
Also good to remember that the final year's SF Maintenance will be less as it doesn't cover a full year, as the first two years do. Your final year will stop at June and won't cover the summer as your course will have finished before then. The reduction comes as a bit of a shock to some.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
Also good to remember that the final year's SF Maintenance will be less as it doesn't cover a full year, as the first two years do. Your final year will stop at June and won't cover the summer as your course will have finished before then. The reduction comes as a bit of a shock to some.

Oddly mine is £875 more than my second year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending